Royal Mail postage rates....

Started by Dock Shunter, August 21, 2014, 12:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom U

Never mind the RM postage rate....what about the delivery rate...small parcel 'signed for' sent by Hattons 5th Aug to Kuala Lumpur Malaysia just arrived in my hands this evening, 22nd.  Was getting a bit worried!  But I do suspect the delay was at the Malaysia end, but the on-line tracking info is a bit vague with a time lag.

Tdm

Quote from: Tom U on August 22, 2014, 01:50:20 PM
Never mind the RM postage rate....what about the delivery rate...small parcel 'signed for' sent by Hattons 5th Aug to Kuala Lumpur Malaysia just arrived in my hands this evening, 22nd.  Was getting a bit worried!  But I do suspect the delay was at the Malaysia end, but the on-line tracking info is a bit vague with a time lag.

I placed an order with Hattons on the 31st of July and it only arrived on August 19th.
When I emailed Hattons just before it arrived they told me there had been a warehouse problem the weekend I ordered and it only got processed on the 4th of August. So in total it took 15 days to arrive whereas normally 10 days is the average.

njee20

Quote from: Tom U on August 22, 2014, 01:50:20 PM

Signed For isn't tracked - it gets lobbed into the normal mail, and someone gives you a squiggle the other end - it's good to prove something is delivered (to avoid eBay buyers saying item didn't arrive for example), but that is it, it doesn't afford anything extra by way of special handling, tracking etc. If you want that you have to go for Special Delivery.

Newportnobby

Signed for can be tracked. As I send out various bits of NGF merchandise I always like to know if it has been delivered and 'Track & Trace' does give me that information and it also informs me if a card has been left because the recipient was out.
This is with both 1st and 2nd class signed for items.
OK - it does only provide a squiggle as proof of delivery but, hell, it's damned difficult to write on those pads ::)

njee20

It can be be tracked in the same way as any piece of post can be, it's not handled any differently.

It's a good service, particularly for goods where you want a signature, but it's not actually treated differently to ordinary post

CarriageShed

Quote from: Bigric on August 22, 2014, 09:58:52 AM
OK njee , so say we decide to go down the Hermes route for smallish parcels . How does it work ? Do we have to go to their local depot , or do they come & collect ? I honestly have no idea as its something I've never looked at as an option . Some info would be gratefully received !! Thanks , Ric

It's definitely worth using Hermes, especially for smaller packages. Anything under a kilo will cost about £2.90 collected from your front door (possibly depending on your location). That's a good deal cheaper than the rip-off PO at the moment. I had to post a small hardback book to Australia this week and it cost a flabbergasting £7.90. That's up from £6.50 just six months or so ago. And I really dislike having my flabber gasted. Unfortunately, Hermes doesn't do overseas posting at the moment.

Dock Shunter

Quote from: Pete33 on August 23, 2014, 02:03:26 PM
Quote from: Bigric on August 22, 2014, 09:58:52 AM
OK njee , so say we decide to go down the Hermes route for smallish parcels . How does it work ? Do we have to go to their local depot , or do they come & collect ? I honestly have no idea as its something I've never looked at as an option . Some info would be gratefully received !! Thanks , Ric

It's definitely worth using Hermes, especially for smaller packages. Anything under a kilo will cost about £2.90 collected from your front door (possibly depending on your location). That's a good deal cheaper than the rip-off PO at the moment. I had to post a small hardback book to Australia this week and it cost a flabbergasting £7.90. That's up from £6.50 just six months or so ago. And I really dislike having my flabber gasted. Unfortunately, Hermes doesn't do overseas posting at the moment.

Had a look at their website and it appears my local shop is a Hermes agent,so i will look into it.
Thanks for the heads up fellas..... :thumbsup:

:beers:...Ste... :NGaugersRule:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations