Solder remover- 3 hands needed?

Started by petercharlesfagg, August 10, 2014, 07:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends, I have been plundering with removing solder and have been trying to use the copper wick on a reel.

My question is this:-  How do you control the stuff?

Every time I pull out a new section (after cutting off the loaded section) and try and apply it to my rail joiners, or elsewhere, it slides out of the way or seperates or starts wicking away the molten solder then slips away again!

I tried holding the actual wick which results in burnt fingers!!!

What do you do?

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

scotsoft

petercharlesfagg

Thankyou John, duly ordered.

I assume it comes with instructions?

Warmest regards, Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

scotsoft

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on August 10, 2014, 08:52:29 PM
Thankyou John, duly ordered.

I assume it comes with instructions?

Warmest regards, Peter.

All you have to do is push in the plunger, when solder is molten, place point near solder and press button on side.

Woosh, the solder disappears as if by magic  :goggleeyes:

You do have to empty it every so often Peter.

End of destructions - John.

trainsdownunder

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on August 10, 2014, 07:19:16 PM
Friends, I have been plundering with removing solder and have been trying to use the copper wick on a reel.

My question is this:-  How do you control the stuff?

Every time I pull out a new section (after cutting off the loaded section) and try and apply it to my rail joiners, or elsewhere, it slides out of the way or seperates or starts wicking away the molten solder then slips away again!

I tried holding the actual wick which results in burnt fingers!!!

What do you do?

Regards, Peter.

Tend to agree. I've never been as succesful with "wick" as a "solder sucker", yet my Dad always gets great results with wick.

Pengi

I find the solder sucker to be a bit chunky to use and now find the wick method - after persevering. I have a conical tip on my iron which seems to make it easier to use the wick. Sometimes adding more solder to the joint helps.

This
video may help. One of the comments suggests adding flux. There is no sound on the video

I don't claim to be an expert on this though  :dunce:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Pengi on August 11, 2014, 07:32:04 AM
I find the solder sucker to be a bit chunky to use and now find the wick method - after persevering. I have a conical tip on my iron which seems to make it easier to use the wick. Sometimes adding more solder to the joint helps.

This
video may help. One of the comments suggests adding flux. There is no sound on the video

I don't claim to be an expert on this though  :dunce:

Thanks but I don't think the wick in the video is the wick that comes in that little round dispenser? 

The wick I have is only a  millimetre wide and yet opens up VERY readily and is difficult to place correctly, even stretching it out tight makes no difference and it goes everywhere except into the soldered joint?

Thanks anyway, I will try this de-soldering gun thingy and see if it helps!

Peter.

Pengi

Mine is in the little round dispenser

Link to a wider braid from eBay. eBay also advertise ones that have flux in them.

Appreciate that you may want to try the desolder gun though

Malc

The braided wick I have used is about 3mm wide, but I still had a few difficulties when trying to clean out holes on PCB. The solder sucker is easy to use and does a great job. Just remember to unscrew the end with the nozzle now and again to clean out the residue.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: scotsoft on August 10, 2014, 07:33:04 PM
Get yourself a solder sucker Peter, works every time using basic physics  :claphappy:

I have been using mine for years now  :thumbsup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solder-Sucker-Desoldering-Pump-Tool-Removal-Vacuum-Soldering-Iron-Desolver-1-U-/121384128785?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item1c430ed111

or if you want one from the UK (I did ask to be shown UK items only, stupid eBay)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Desolder-Desoldering-Pump-Solder-Removal-Iron-Vacuum-Tool-Sucker-Remover-/130470026589?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item1e609e9d5d

cheers John.

Thankyou for the link and info!

Solder sucker arrived and is very effective, when I can keep my hand still! I suppose it is only practice but I shake visibly as I concentrate!

Nevertheless, it does the job, thanks again, Peter.

Bealman

Keep up the practice with the sucker Peter (did I write that...), used one for years on circuit boards and you eventually get quite good at it.

DO clean out the nozzle on a regular basis, though.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Rabs

I use both regularly and find that a solder sucker is better for removing large amounts of solder (such as used for any through-hole components) but when doing fine surface mount components then wick is easier to use.  For wick I find the best thing to do is to trap the wick under the soldering iron about 20mm from the end of the wick.  Then, once the solder is molten, draw the wick through and the iron will hold it in place (usually!)

scotsoft

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on August 17, 2014, 08:53:09 AM
Thankyou for the link and info!

Solder sucker arrived and is very effective, when I can keep my hand still! I suppose it is only practice but I shake visibly as I concentrate!

Nevertheless, it does the job, thanks again, Peter.

You are very welcome Peter and I am happy to read you are happy with it  :thumbsup:

I find it best if I melt the solder then introduce the primed sucker at the last minite, that way you are in and out in a flash  ;)

cheers John.

4x2

Blu-tac - use this wonder product to hold object in place, leaving both hands free to use solder pump and iron. I'd recommend that you use at least a 25w iron, as an 18w iron left on the joint too long is more likely to cause damage than a quick dab with a 40w iron.

I don't work for Blu-tac, but I use loads of the stuff !
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Pengi

I use Blu-tac for SMDs and other small components - and it works great. Never thought about using it for larger stuff though - super idea :thumbsup:

I used to use an 18w iron for soldering SMDs and found that it does need longer on the joint and I did end up with some blown SMDs. Now use a 48W 150-480C temperature controlled station (that cost less than the 18W iron) and find that I can solder SMDs much more reliably

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations