Started by Oldun, February 09, 2014, 12:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldun

Aren't you glad we don't have this problem, couple of vidio's:

G scale snow plow part 1

G scale snowplow part 4

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Paul B

I was watching the second video first and wondered how much power that loco had to be able to push through all that snow - then watching the first video (second!) I discovered that it was taking FOUR locos to push it!  :o

I have to admit that if I had that sort of layout in that sort of snow I would love to have a snowplow to be able to clear it - what fun!  :thankyousign:  for posting that!
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

4x2

Brilliant ! I do have planning permission for G scale in the garden, I may be able to do that if we ever see snow again... :(
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

jonclox

Get all these rain storms and floods out of the way and that could well be your garden next month  >:(
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

scotsoft

They had to have been shot on different days.  On the first video the rocks are visible all the way round but on the second video the rocks are covered in snow after about 35 seconds.

Very enjoyable to watch and I wonder if the operator had his heart in his mouth at times  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Trev

I bet his neighbours love him with all the engine noise and the horns  :no:
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

jonclox

In all fairness those 2 clips have been around for 2-3 years now. Good to watch them again though  :)
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Komata

A question for the 'mechanically-inclined':

Given that snow is 'wet', and that electricity and  'wetness' don't mix, are these locomotives electrically or mechanically powered, and, if electrically, then are they being operated using the usual 12-volt systems that we are familiar-with, or something different?

Thanks.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

scotsoft

They will be electrically powered and their saving grace is the fact that snow does not form a solid "wet" link across the tracks, so although there could be a possibility of a short, it is highly unlikely.

cheers John.

NeMo

Quote from: Komata on February 09, 2014, 07:01:28 PM
Given that snow is 'wet', and that electricity and  'wetness' don't mix,
This is often said but it doesn't really mean what it seems to mean! Water doesn't conduct electricity at all well; to conduct well, it needs something dissolved in it, such as salts (those ionic compounds you probably learned about at school!). Furthermore, conduction of electricity in water needs those salt ions to be mobile, which is fine in liquid water but they'll hardly be moving at all in frozen water.

So while dirty, slushy snow probably does conduct especially if it's picked up soluble minerals from the environment, pure snow won't conduct much of anything -- in theory at least!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Kipper

Looks like he had the right sort of snow - or the right sort of trains!

Snow expected this week, so get your track laid now.

Komata

Re: "... So get your track laid now'.

Thanks Kipper for your comment, but this in turn is raises another question:

Do any of the membership actually RUN N-gauge 'Outside', where it could indeed be subject to snow and all the other climatic variations?

(Because I haven't found one yet, this may perhaps require another thread - depending-upon the replies; if any.).
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations