N Gauge Streamlined GWR Railcar Kickstarter project with DJ Models

Started by Karhedron, August 26, 2014, 03:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karhedron

Streamlined Great Western Railcar in N Gauge

In an exciting "first" for British N Gauge, Matthew Pinto has teamed up with Dave Jones of DJ Models to produce the streamlined Great Western railcar. Introduced in 1934, these stylish vehicles were used for light express duties such as the Birmingham - Cardiff service. Over the years, they migrated widely and could be seen on most parts of the GWR and WR system.

The model will be based on Railcar number 4 which is now preserved at the Steam Museum in Swindon. This will be laser-scanned to produce an accurate detailed model of a prototype that has never before been available ready-to-run. The model will be designed to the highest standard of RTR production and will incorporate current best practice.

The specification will include:

•   Coreless motor with underfloor drive mechanism.
•   6-pin DCC decoder socket with space for DCC speaker.
•   Directional lighting.
•   Darkened profile RP25.72 wheels.
•   Fully detailed 'art deco' interior.
•   Different cab layouts for each end correctly represented.
•   Guard's pigeon holes and raised passenger floor areas.
•   Optional bogie valances.

Another first for British N Gauge will be the use of KickStarter to fund the development of the model. In countries such as America and Australia, it is common for manufacturers to take subscriptions for models. Those models will only be produced once the minimum number of orders has been received. This is the first time this subscription-based approach has been used in Britain.

Using KickStarter will allow us to offer this unique and exciting model in the same way. Subscription will be open for 60 days and customers will have that amount of time to sign up. Using a well-known commercial site like KickStarter provides security for the customers. No money will be taken until the subscription period is complete. If we fail to raise the minimum number of orders necessary then the project will not proceed and no money will debited from the customers' accounts.

The price will be £115.00 which will include shipping within the UK. Customers from outside the UK are welcome for a small additional shipping charge. The minimum number of orders to make this project viable is 1000. The railcars will be available in the following liveries.

•   No 4 in GWR "Shirtbutton" livery with white roof (as originally produced and worn currently in preservation).
•   No 3 in post-war GWR "Hawksworth" livery with grey roof and GWR crest.
•   No 2 in BR Crimson and cream livery branded W2W.

DJ Models will offer these models with excellent after-service including 1-year warranty, 100% spares available at launch and each model will be individually tested before dispatch.

To order a railcar, visit the KickStarter project site.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/800415755/n-gauge-streamlined-great-western-railway-railcar
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Roy L S

Hi Matt

Great choice of model. Pledge duly made for one.

I would like BR "Carmine and Cream", but can't see where I pick. I assume livery choice comes later once funding target is reached?

Regards

Roy

Karhedron

Hi Roy, thanks for pledging.  :thumbsup:

Yes, confirmation of livery choices will be made once the target is reached.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Roy L S

Quote from: Karhedron on August 26, 2014, 04:17:23 PM
Hi Roy, thanks for pledging.  :thumbsup:

Yes, confirmation of livery choices will be made once the target is reached.

Hi Matt

Brill, thank you for confirming.

I will make sure I mention this at my Club tonight, I suspect there may be two or three who this project may be of interest to.

I am sure you have plans for raising the profile of the project - do these include flyers on "friendly" traders' stands at TINGS?

Obviously we know there is another high profile "Kickstarter" currently in gestation that has been discussed both here and at the "Other place", but as it is for a completely different model from a totally different era I personally see no harm in having flyers for both on the same stands of any who are willing.

Regards

Roy

Ben A

Hey Matthew,

Good luck with this - seems like Kickstarter is becoming the way to go!

Cheers

Ben A.

daveg

Hi Matthew

Attempting to pledge but KS is being a tad slow. Have you grabbed ALL the entire Sky bandwidth for your terrific project?  :D

Dave G

daveg

KS system telling me to try refresh.

Tried twice but failed to take pledge. Will have another go in an hour or so.

Dave G

jcmjcm

Bob Tidbury

I would be in but I can't risk the money until Ive seen the quality and reliability of the proposed future products from DJM announced last year I have wanted a streamlined Railcar for years I used to sit on the drivers knees in one on the Henly on Thames branch when I was about 5 years old,I'm now 67 and my pension doesn't  stretch to gamble £115 even though that seems a good price.
If it was a Farish model then I might be able to persuade her in doors and the family to buy one for Christmas or Birthday.
Bob

Caz

I've taken the chance and pledged, just hope Dave can come up with the goods.   I will need it shipping to a different address to my card holder address, hope that can be done.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Delfin

Will the model be DCC fitted or at least easily adapted, with a six pin plug for example?  I'm keen to get my hands on one, but these days I stick to DCC and don't want to have something that is a nightmare to convert.

Delfin

Caz

Quote from: Delfin on August 26, 2014, 07:11:13 PM
Will the model be DCC fitted or at least easily adapted, with a six pin plug for example?  I'm keen to get my hands on one, but these days I stick to DCC and don't want to have something that is a nightmare to convert.

Delfin

If you read the original post at the top it should answer all your questions.   ;)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Roy L S

Quote from: Delfin on August 26, 2014, 07:11:13 PM

Delfin

Hi Delfin

Yep, or if you follow the Kickstarter link you will see the full spec which includes a 6 pin decoder socket.

Regards

Roy

Delfin

Rather to my embarrassment I missed the DCC reference.  :-[  Anyway, I have now pledged for one railcar and hope that the project is a success.

Delfin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations