Disposing of old railway modelling magazines

Started by willike1958, April 11, 2018, 06:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyRA

Having collected many over 50 years I finally decided to rationalise them a few years back. Went carefully through them and carefully cut out the pages that still interested me (layouts, ideas, and modelling techniques), and put them in clear plastic pockets. I now have about four full A4 lever arch files of what I like to think is a summary of all the things I like, or have inspired me. A few magazines have been retained whole for various reasons, mainly those where I had my own articles published. I'm afraid to say much of the remaining bulk went into the recycling bin. (Only a few at a time to avoid the poor Refuse Collectors straining themselves. There must have been at least a ton of it that went that way). Could I have scanned the pages and put them on a CD? Maybe, but that would have taken even longer, so the A4 folders are my library now.

Andy.
If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

Bealman

Good response. Transferring printed stuff to disc is a lengthy process, and is very greedy on memory.

I'm tempted to keep the mags.

I prefer looking at paper rather than a computer screen anyway.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

However, back to the OP, I still think taking the mags to exhibtions is a good idea.  :beers:

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on April 11, 2018, 08:40:40 AM
I too have a million billion model railway mags

I've told you a trillion times about over exaggerating :telloff: :stop:

Bealman

Bealman

paulbeckwith

hi all

I joined "www.gb.readly.com"

over 6 months ago  cost £7.99 month  thousands of mags  to suit all 
   railway wise  there is  "model rail " and "rail "  at the mo along with a German one
  they state  they will be adding further titles  soon  and the best bit is most titles you can search back 2 years plus  all for £7.99

ps   I have no connection with them      paul

willike1958

Thanks for all your comments and tips.
Looks like mine are heading in the direction of the bin. I'll wince very time I drop a bundle of them in it, but that's life.
Kevin

dannyboy

Quote from: paulbeckwith on April 13, 2018, 05:57:07 PM

I joined "www.gb.readly.com"

I have also signed up to 'readly' and have to say that at €9.99 a month, (in Ireland), it is money well spent. Mainly because SWMBO does not have to buy 3 or 4 glossy monthly magazines every month, at around a fiver a time! Then there is the added benefit of not having to dispose of said magazines. Oh and as Paul said, railway magazines are available as well.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bonnyman750

You could always ask and/or donate them to a Heritage Railway for them to sell for much needed funds.

They sell old railway mags at Pickering station on the NYRM for just this purpose (I'm not affiliated in any way, just go there as my Daughter, her partner and granddaughter live near there and the young'un is really into trains...has her own Thomas layout!!)...

I'm sure they said on the program about the NYRM the other month that they need £7 million a year to keep running (could have misheard that figure...!) and other Heritage Lines are probably in the same situation....

Just a thought... :hmmm:

Glyn

dannyboy

Quote from: Bonnyman750 on May 29, 2018, 11:05:40 AM

They sell old railway mags at Pickering station on the NYRM

I was there last year and came across a magazine that was issued in the month/year of my birth, (67 years ago this month  :o), which was a nice coincidence. Also, bigger coincidence - it had an article about the Cavan/Leitrim Railway. The original station at Mohill, (about 10 miles from me), is still in situ. So, donating old magazines to a heritage/preserved railway is a good idea.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

grid078

Totally agree with the above find your local preservation group and give them a call. Coup!e of years back i was in a similar predicament, somewhere in the region of 15 boxes of magazines, spoke to the north Norfolk railway and they said yes please bring them over to us. I need to make another trip as I've now found another three boxes. The N.N.R were at that time raising funds for a passenger coach restoration so were glad of the help. If I remember correctly i think I got a free coffee as part of the bargain.

Regards Stuart

outofgauge

I pass some of mine (Brm,model rail , rail express , etc ((bar my rail modeller-into mag files for the whole year -then into man cave no1 s filling system )) on to my mate -who reads them then passes they on down the line till they arrive a Southports model rail club -were they do the rounds there -then they end up on the sales stand at the show - and move around a different circle !! Works for us !
Regards
Neil

Remember -this is not a practice ! One go only !
And I was Born ready .

Some places have actually stopped taking old magazines as there isn't the market for them anymore and they take up an awful lot of space.
I know the GCR at Loughborough will only take recent issues, and then only certain magazines, and the local Museum I am involved with stopped taking them altogether several years ago. If any are given to us, they go straight in the recycling bin!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations