The Great Model Railway Challenge

Started by Newportnobby, September 22, 2018, 08:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

Quote from: The Q on October 23, 2018, 07:04:00 AM
Steampunk  Laurie  put An interesting reply to his teams efforts here... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138126-great-model-railway-challenge-channel-5/page-37  ( post 906)

one interesting point  I picked up on was him being told he could not go end to end, but had to use the 10'x5', then being told that

"another team had made it end-to-end without asking and their pre-building on two baseboards with the track could not be undone, , my underlining and bold,.

surely, the rules should apply to ALL teams equally, in episode 1 we had the team who vastly exceeded their pre-build allowance, it will be interesting to see if any action is taken agains this team.

daffy

I get the impression  ;) that with a lot of these programmes the producers have a remit to make sure there is a strong element of controversy.

After all, such is what gets folks talking about and maybe watching the programme in question. Certainly works judging by the comments generated here and t'other place.

As it is I rather expected bends in the rules and other tactics to be part and parcel of what is, it has to be remembered, intended to be an entertainment for any and everybody. Without such things a lot of viewers would switch channels.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Buffin

Quote from: Railwaygun on October 23, 2018, 03:41:52 PM
This is from the RMweb thread on this programme

I have seen all the moderated comments and out of 997, we are looking at just over 10. Those have included abuse in capital letters aimed at one of the teams (twice by one "contributor") followed by a threat to the admins, 3 repeats of one post and some for swearing.

The NGF is a haven of peace & tranquility by comparison!!

How can people get so wound up about a nice little relaxing programme, for goodness sake?!

JonHarbour

I watched the first two episodes on YouTube last night and I have to admit I really enjoyed it. I did find the Dalek mother ship 'animation' in episode 2 a bit lame....

Maybe I'm just 'fishing' for some controversy! ;)
Still planning a layout...

guest311

Bealman

How'd you manage that, Jon? I've been trying to do the same, but with no luck!  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

JonHarbour

Bealman

Thanks, Jon! That link works a treat!  :beers:

The problem is, I was going to do a few jobs around the house for Mrs Bealman today....  :worried:

Phoenix

Hi Buffin,

First off, thank you so much for your kind comments about my recent video  :D :D

I dipped my toe into RMWeb when I first started my railway, and found them quite scary. Their reaction to what you say is "just another show on the telly" is quite mindboggling. I wonder if any of the guys there have actually put their opinions to the TV company, rather than ranting on RMWeb

Anyway, I just popped in here to say I met and chatted with the team leader of the Basingstoke Bodgers at our local model railway show last saturday and he was thoroughly nice to talk to, and totally praising his team members for all their hard work.

Kathy Millatt, awesome modeller and judge has an interesting blog, but obviously can't put much out 'till after the episodes have aired.

https://www.kathymillatt.co.uk/blog/2018/10/19/great-model-railway-challenge-globetrotting/

I'm lovin' it

all best wishes,
Kevin

Bealman

All this has really got me chomping at the bit to watch it!

Why did I open me gob and say I'd do all these jobs today  >:( ;)

JonHarbour

Quote from: Bealman on October 23, 2018, 11:36:11 PM
Thanks, Jon! That link works a treat!  :beers:

The problem is, I was going to do a few jobs around the house for Mrs Bealman today....  :worried:

:laughabovepost:

Good luck! I'm working on a client site in Melbourne for a system go-live from 06:00 to 14:00 and thus have some time in the afternoon to myself - it's a 24x7 operation and I am supporting only one shift. Episode three this afternoon....  :claphappy:

Bealman

Good luck with the job  :thumbsup:

I'm currently vacuuming the house and am then going to fill in some gaps in the floorboards.

Hopefully I'll get to see the first episode at least tonight!

Bealman

I'm currently on my last beer at the club watching a horrendous show called Bachelorette.

If you get a show over there called Aussie Bachelorettte, avoid it like the plague!

I'm going to have me dinner and settle down to The Great Railway Challenge on YouTube,  courtesy of Jon.  :thumbsup: :beers:

Bealman

Ok, finally got to see the first episode.

Rather sad, but I will watch the series.

It's only TV, after all.  :thumbsup:

The Q

Ranting about TV shows is common on other non railway forums, I belong to several Norfolk Broads forums, The TV and newspapers regularly get it wrong, especially when they Call the Norfolk Broads a National Park... it isn't...

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations