Speeding

Started by bob lawrence, August 19, 2018, 08:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLD

Quote from: Lindi on August 20, 2018, 10:03:30 PM
Quote from: PLD on August 20, 2018, 09:52:43 PM
There already is a minimum speed on UK motorways of 30mph

No there is not. If there was you would see a sign shown above as you join the motorway
It is certainly true that you no longer generally see the old style sign listing all the prohibited traffics as per below (there are a few left, mostly at remote junctions - last I recall seeing was on the Northern Ireland M2) - it is assumed to be implicit in standard motorway symbol...

Do you also assume in the absence of a sign as above that Pedestrians, Animals and Pedal Cycles are also no longer prohibited on motorways?? If so, please do share the video of your next horse ride along the M1.

Quote from: Lindi on August 20, 2018, 10:16:32 PM
Quote from: PLD on August 20, 2018, 09:52:43 PM
The oft stated "Lorries and buses are not allowed in the third lane" is also slightly incorrect... They aren't specifically banned, but vehicles not capable of maintaining 70mph are;

This is also not correct. 
You say not correct, then go on to CONFIRM it is correct in your own words...
Quote from: Lindi on August 20, 2018, 10:16:32 PM
The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are driving

• a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter
  • a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight not exceeding 7.5 tonnes which is constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter
It is the fitment of the limiter that initiates the restriction...

PLD

Quote from: Lindi on August 21, 2018, 12:10:00 AM
As regards signs then no I don't expect to see prohibited vehicles on the motorway and no sign is required. It is part of the highway code Rule 253 which states

Prohibited vehicles. Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional motorcycle or car licences, riders of motorcycles under 50 cc, cyclists, horse riders, certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles, and powered wheelchairs/powered mobility scooters (see Rules 36 to 46 inclusive).[/list]

Regarding your assertion that there is a minimum speed for a motorway, which there is no rule within the highway code, therefore a sign would be required on joining the motorway
:headbutt: :headbutt:
As per the sign pictured above, in the past when restrictions were specifically listed at the entry to the motorway it clearly stated (UNDER 30 MPH) as the criteria for a Slow Vehicle... You confirm that "Slow Vehicle" rule still applies. So, if it is not 30mph, can you provide evidence of what the criteria now is for a slow vehicle and when it was changed??

themadhippy

QuoteMinimum speed limits are rare in the UK, but they do exist in places where going too slowly can cause increased congestion or high risk of a crash, such as in tunnels.

They're marked by a blue, circular sign containing the minimum speed limit, while the end of a minimum speed limit is signalled by the same sign with a red line through it.

Although there isn't an official minimum speed limit on most motorways, travelling too slowly can be considered dangerous and you might attract the attention of the police.

In this case, you'd usually be let off after a verbal warning, but you could be prosecuted for careless driving.
source rac

Sorry  He's Right, Your wrong.
See Highway Code Rules 234 / 235 re this,  There is only the Mention of a Maximum and not a minimum.
The speed your friend drives at is actually what is generally considered to be a suitable Patrol speed on the Motorway, as everyone has to pass you and you can give them the once over, and the HGV's can also pass without it taking 3 miles for the overtake.
source policeuk
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

themadhippy

Quotea passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver
Now that is interesting,or are national express coaches exempt from this rule as they can often  be spoted in the outside lane doing 70+
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

daffy

Clarity here on UK speed limits:

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Note the limits vary with regard to vehicle lengths and weights.

As for minimum speed limits, as far as I am aware, and as stated on many websites, the Republic of Ireland does have a 30mph minimum on motorways, but as stated by Lindi et al, there is no minimum on U.K. motorways, though driving at a slow speed likely to cause a danger to others can lead to a penalty, though instances of this actually being enforced are rare.

For reference, here is a link to a PDF version of the current Highway Code, the go-to oracle for road rules:

http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uploads/3/2/9/2/3292309/the-official-highway-code-with-annexes-uk-en-12-04.pdf
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

I stand to be corrected @daffy, but I do not believe there are any roads in the Republic that have a minimum speed limit.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

dannyboy

I stand to be corrected @daffy, but I do not believe there are any roads in the Republic that have a minimum speed limit.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/roads_and_safety/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland.html
gives information about road and vehicle speed limits. I was going to post a link to the Road Safety Authority information, but it is a long PDF.
David.

dannyboy

Further to the above, I have found the following -
""Slow vehicles(less than 50 km/h or 31 mph)" are not allowed by motorway regulations in Ireland. Other regulations are:

Learner drivers
Invalid carriages
Pedestrians
Pedal-cycles
Vehicles under 50cc
Vehicles without pneumatic tyres
Animals"

As was pointed out in the bit that I read, a vehicle has to be capable of doing 50kph, there is nothing to say it has to do 50kph, although of course we are then getting into the realms of inconsiderate driving etc., if somebody is doing those sorts of speed on a motorway!
David.

daffy

Happy to be corrected David. :thumbsup: 
The minimum in RofE was just one of those 'facts' I had picked up years ago and seemed to be confirmed on various websites I checked. However, it looks like it might be another one of those cases of misinformation that abound on t'Internet. As the man in the country in question, I bow to your local knowledge. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Fardap

Rule 253
Prohibited vehicles. Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional motorcycle or car licences, riders of motorcycles under 50 cc, cyclists, horse riders, certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles, and powered wheelchairs/powered mobility scooters (see Rules 36 to 46 inclusive).
From 4 June 2018 provisional licence holders may drive on the motorway if they are accompanied by an approved driving instructor and are driving a car displaying red L plates (D plates in Wales), that's fitted with dual controls.

There is no set limit of what is slow but I guess they leave it open to interpretation by the Police (if they are ever on the Mway) so that say someone doing 35 with HGVs and all overtaking or causing tailbacks may have the suggestion of using A roads made to them?

Regarding France that was quoted earlier they not only have 130k/80mph as the motorway speed they also have 90k/56mph in the WET.

njee20

110kph in the wet on the autoroutes.

My understanding is that it's based on precipitation falling from the sky too, so it's still 130kph when the road is wet, but it's not raining, yet it's 110 when the road is dry but it's spitting.

Far too ambiguous for my liking!

Lawrence

Which ever way you look at it and try to decipher the rules and regulations just remember one thing, it's a speed limit, not a target.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Lindi on August 21, 2018, 10:51:52 AM
Quote from: bob lawrence on August 20, 2018, 10:36:14 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on August 20, 2018, 10:15:03 PM
Some interesting stats in amongst all this...............

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/drivers-face-100-fine-going-205338937.html

It's this article that prompted my initial topic.
How about artics overtaking in the middle lane for miles?
On your second point there is no issue with artics using any lane except the right most lane where there are three otr more lanes. Although it may seem like you are going very slow behind one the actual time difference in your arrival time at your destination is minimal. If you was travelling at 70mph and then had to reduce your speed to 56 mph for say 5 miles then you would arrive at your destination 75 seconds later. If the arctic was doing only 40 mph then the delay would be 150 seconds. In my opinion neither are a big deal. Of course if you was speeding before you had to slow down behind the artic then the delay would be greater.

Hi

You make a valid point but its never just one that does it.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

daffy

This in the news today...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45269474

Love the guys seemingly philosophical attitude to it all. Or is it simply resignation when up against the faceless ones? :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

But if you are driving in Switzerland, just keep to the speed limits and make sure you don't earn a lot or be wealthy, as fines are based not only on where and when you were speeding, but on your financial status.

This guy paid a high price indeed for doing 137kph in an 80kph area:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/mobile/world/europe/8446545.stm

Now wouldn't it be nice if that methodology was used everywhere? :hmmm:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77%