Initial feelings...

Started by brookleigh, January 20, 2020, 05:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brookleigh

Having "dipped my toe in the water" as my layout progresses slowly, I am getting a little despondent
that I may have chosen the wrong gauge!!

I am finding the lack of choice, when compared to 00, of certain items which interest me,
namely  GWR  King class  and also possibly a Deltic.

I dont intend to abandon N gauge but am having doubts.

Regards   Roger

Intercity

Farish do the Deltic, including the prototype.

ntpntpntp

Didn't I read somewhere that another small firm had announced a King, given DJM's fell through (and Lima's model in the 80s was never made - it would have been rubbish anyway :-) )
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

dannyboy

Have a look at the following 'Rails' page - three Class 55's to look at.  :thumbsup:

https://railsofsheffield.com/categories-class-55-JJJC329
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Dr Al

Farish made the King in the past. Not quite a modern model, but certain detailing can be done to uprate it, and it will run well.

Just need to keep watching the secondhands.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Mr Sprue

As Alan has stated the King Class loco's do pop up from time to time. The Farish King James the II stock number is 372-551.

trkilliman

Quote from: ntpntpntp on January 20, 2020, 05:28:57 PM
Didn't I read somewhere that another small firm had announced a King, given DJM's fell through (and Lima's model in the 80s was never made - it would have been rubbish anyway :-) )

I think I also read this.

I reckon Farish could be working on a King, and may surprise us with an announcement in the not too distant future.

Bealman

Can't speak for the King, but the Deltic is a lovely model.

I also own a Poole Farish Deltic, which, apart from the lack of lights, holds up surprisingly well against the new version.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bingley Hall

Quote from: brookleigh on January 20, 2020, 05:18:12 PM
Having "dipped my toe in the water" as my layout progresses slowly, I am getting a little despondent
that I may have chosen the wrong gauge!!

I am finding the lack of choice, when compared to 00, of certain items which interest me,
namely  GWR  King class  and also possibly a Deltic.

I dont intend to abandon N gauge but am having doubts.

Regards   Roger

Strange post - the lack of choice surely existed before you dipped your toes in the water?

Mr Sprue

Quote from: brookleigh on January 20, 2020, 05:18:12 PM
Strange post - the lack of choice surely existed before you dipped your toes in the water?

Couldn't have put that better myself.

However the massive advantage that an N Gauge layout has over OO is when there's lack of space, that's when N wins hands down every time!

Dickydcc

I have found that it's a matter of being patient, Deltics do come up  (there was one a eBay recently with sound, albeit in purple). I also found that I have had to compromise a bit on running loco's relevant to "my" region. I have no idea how a 64XX ended up, complete with autocoach, in Norfolk but the kids got it for me for fathers day so round Thetford Rd it goes! When I first discussed doing railways again, with the landowner, I was allowed 700mm x 9' & it had to be a tail chaser. So, N Gauge or no railway was the choice. I suppose I could have gone for Z........ :D

ChrisWV10

Look on the bright side. That huge selection of OO locos and rolling stock is very bad for the wallet...

:angel:

brookleigh

Thanks to everyone who posted info on the Deltic...

I still find it odd that one of the finest locos ever seen  on the GWR is not sold at the moment.
I wonder also if there is/was anything from the GWR County class?

Roger

njee20

Why? There are literally hundreds of models not currently produced. Being a "fine" prototype doesn't mean it'll be a commercial success sadly.

The King was slated to be produced by DJ Models until they went under. KR Models have hinted at it on social media (they showed a CAD), but it's not made it to their website yet.

10 seconds on Google suggests no County. As a general rule, if Hornby produce it in OO it's less likely an N gauge version exists!

Bob G

Quote from: njee20 on January 21, 2020, 04:50:47 PM
10 seconds on Google suggests no County.

Peco did a kit for a Jubilee to County conversion in the 1970s.
P&D Marsh?/GEM?/one of those kit manufacturers in the 1970s also did a whitemetal kit for a county IIRC.

I think you need to either become an N gauge modeller and model or revert to being an OO collector and collect.

(he said, a little tongue in cheek).

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations