Silhouette Portrait

Started by Geoff, September 21, 2014, 11:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

I was reading October's issue of Railway Modeller and in there is 3 pages on Computer aided cutting, well I was surprised when it was about the same cutter that my wife has for her card making, and I know that another member on here has another type of cutter.

So today I started experimenting with the cutter, first I am going to do the simple bits like cutting walls for the platform, and I have to tell you what a job it has done just perfect, the Metcalfe stations did not work properly for me as they are for Peco height track so I needed an extra 3mm in height for the Kato track.

I have other ideas for this cutter but I just need to get my head round the software so I can make buildings, all this is now a learning curve for me so until I get my model railway room I am going to be experimenting with this Silhouette Portrait, and  get the most out of it.

The cutter will cut just over 300 gsm and it will also cut styrene sheet and not forgetting it cuts material, the page on Railway Modeller is 786 if any of you is interested in reading about it.

I bought my cutter from the website below.

http://www.silhouetteportrait.co.uk/

Also if you want to try the software out before you buy that is here.

http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software/silhouette-studio

All I can say is that it is a great piece of kit and easy to set up.

Geoff

steve836

How good with computers are you? Will it work for a computer illiterate dummy like me?
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Bealman

An excellent post. Thanks, Geoff! This looks like the happy kind of serendipity that could benefit railway modellers.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Geoff

Quote from: steve836 on September 21, 2014, 11:19:26 AM
How good with computers are you? Will it work for a computer illiterate dummy like me?

Hi Steve I am not a computer expert myself but all I have done at the moment is printed off some A4 sheets of Brick I want to use then gone into the software and selected the Rectangle and drew the size of walls I needed then I copy and pasted the rectangle to give me plenty of walls to get going, then I saved my drawing then cut it out.

The software is not to complicated try it out for yourself and read the manual that comes in pdf format from the help button.

I am still in the learning process but I am sure I will master it eventually.
Geoff

woodbury22uk

There has been a long running series of topics including building and rolling stock design and construction on RMWeb. They seem to have identified, tackled and resolved many of the issues likely to be encountered when using Silhouette cutters, including their compatibility with easier to use software packages. Might also avoid doing damage to the machine which might not please the original user.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79025-a-guide-to-using-the-silhouette-cameo-cutter/

is just one of many threads.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80563-introduction-to-using-inkscape-to-produce-cutting-files/

covers alternative software with tutorials.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Dorsetmike

I use the KNK Zing plotter, the supplied software can do some shape drawing, and can also import from photo or other drawing file formats, I use the Zing software for the basic shapes then export to a photo editing app to take advantage of copy/paste to add door and window openings, import back to the Zing software and cut. Some of these pics have been posted in a previous thread last year.

[smg id=8616]

Some terrace house parts cut and some etched brass window frames and doors.
[smg id=8606]

For buildings with plain walls, I print Scalescenes brick or stone to A4 labels, stick those to card and feed to the plotter cutter, for walls with decorative brickwork round door or window frames like this

I also print the walls to label stock, then cut the  the printed walls with scissors or craft knife and stick to card cut to the same shapes.

I've used dimensions to approximately match to Metcalfe or Scalescenes kits except to slightly change door and window openings to take Peedie Models etched doors and windows, also reposition doors and make 6 house terraces, the longest I can fit on A4 sheets, an A4 sheet will take 2 complete or 4 low relief  terraces. Variations like rear extensions, porches are also easy to cut and add.

[smg id=8346]

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Caz

Nicely done Mike, very effective and lifelike results.    :thumbsup:
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Bealman

Yes indeed. A lovely model.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Ditape

A very nice model,I think I will look into a cutter.
Diane Tape

steve836

Yes but don't put your fingers in :laugh:
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Pengi

Excellent work Mike, will have to give the cutter some serious consideration
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Dorsetmike

Found this comparison chart for cutters, dates from 2007 but most of the machines are still available

http://www.paperthreads.com/bonus/paperthreads_machine_compare_112008.html

Should answer most questions, prices a bit out of date obviously and there may be some upgrades.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

EtchedPixels

You can also get laser printable vinyl which can but cut (to remove the windows) and make coach sides, or stuck onto rigid clear plastic when making buildings. Great for modern styles.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Ditape

The other online group I belong to has just purchased a cameo cutter for use by the members www.modelrailgroup.co
Come along and have a look at us, we are a small group but very friendly and we could use more n-gauge modellers.
Diane Tape

PostModN66

Does anyone know how long the blades last?

I have downloaded the software and played with it, and watched e few You-Tube videos. The standard advice for fine work is..."always use a new blade and mat"....which at £13 for the blade would mean that you would have to think carefully about using the cutter rather than being a regular tool.

Alternatively, is there a cheaper alternative to a genuine Silhouette blade?

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations