Electronics board

Started by Lawrence, December 06, 2013, 11:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

With the increasing number of members turning to such things as led lighting, using small electronic circuits for control or panel electronics, I wondered if it would be worth having a dedicated sub board for this topic.  More advanced members could post circuits and projects as well as offering help and advice to beginners.
Yes I know places like MERG exist but I think members on here would be more than happy to help each other and use terminology that is understood by all.

scotsoft

Sounds like a good idea to me Lawrence  :NGaugersRule:

cheers John.

davieb

I second what John says  :claphappy:

dave  :thumbsup:

Geoff

Gets my vote.

More knowledge on electronics the better.
Geoff

AndyGif

its a funny thing electronics... all i was interested in a while back was how to light an led...
then i built a rolling road..... so i ended needing a bridge rectifier to fix a problem with the mettering.....

now i've got a huge box of electronic component, a couple of arduino microprocessor boards to play with.

I havent really played with electronics down to this level, not since doing a Degree in Real Time Computing back before the turn of the last century,  they used to use a model train with a forerunner of dcc as one of the demo project, up until my course started then they dropped it.....

Always interested in seeing what people are up to, there's more to model railway electrics than the rats nests of wires under the layout.

scotsoft

After thinking about this for a bit, I wonder if it was made a sticky under "E" in the Knowledge Bank would do the job?

cheers John.

Dock Shunter

Quote from: scotsoft on December 06, 2013, 12:22:42 PM
After thinking about this for a bit, I wonder if it was made a sticky under "E" in the Knowledge Bank would do the job?

cheers John.

Personally John i would rather see a dedicated Electronics Board which would run into multiple pages as opposed to say the signal board which only has 3 pages..... :thumbsup:

Jack

Oh Yes please!! :claphappy:

It was quite a leap of faith to jump into DCC and even now I only go as far as loco basics, yet we have a DCC area.

It would be good to have electronics as a separate area for the electronic side of things. Yes you could use the Search button, but that's only useful if you know the right terms for what you are looking for. Having a dedicated area maybe easier for those, like me who struggle beyond electrical basics, to find what you are after.

In time I'd like to add some working yard lighting towers and one or two other things to my layout. Just mentioning things like diodes send my brain into a tail spin.  :confused1:  :worried:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

dodger

An excellent idea.

Quote from: Dock Shunter on December 06, 2013, 01:06:10 PM

Personally John i would rather see a dedicated Electronics Board which would run into multiple pages as opposed to say the signal board which only has 3 pages..... :thumbsup:

Have to agree with you. I can see somethings requiring alot of space.

Dodger

Dorsetmike

I've got a DC controller circuit that gives excellent slow running - even Poole Farish, Dapol M7s and Union Mills! I had a Dapol B1 take 5 minutes to cover 12" you could countthe revs of the shaft between tender and loco!

It has options for inertia, and setting the overload level for cut out, also a facility to limit top speed (useful for some of the "jack rabbits")

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

daveg

An Electronics board would be a useful addition .

I've yet to even build a mimic board so am running a very basic DC system. Anything that will help move me into (the start of) the 21st century would be appreciated!

I'm sure many would appreciate the info and expertise in one place.

Dave G

Tank

I've made the sub-board (under the Scenery/Landscaping) - enjoy!  :)

Lawrence

Just need the powers that be to spend many an hour trawling the forum moving appropriate threads across then  ;)

Tank

Lawrence

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations