Dapol / Miller project HST model due 2016

Started by Railwaygun, September 26, 2015, 10:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Al

Quote from: Mustermark on October 16, 2015, 12:37:05 PM
Dear Dapol, Please, please, please, don't do this with the horrid custard dipped ends... That was a big mistake by Farish on the Blue Pullman. Please do it in its early yellow-around-the-window state!

Or at least make sure you do both, Dapol!

Cheers,
Alan (who is still mildly dischuffed that I not so long ago bought a standard HST and 3D prints for this very project....hmm.... :hmmm: to complete or not to complete, that is the question.)
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Mustermark

Quote from: Dr Al on October 16, 2015, 01:00:02 PM
Alan (who is still mildly dischuffed that I not so long ago bought a standard HST and 3D prints for this very project....hmm.... :hmmm: to complete or not to complete, that is the question.)

You and me both, Alan... I entered my Farish 'kitbash' of a prototype HST in the NGS competition this year, but didn't win. I only hope that Dapol creates a winner.

I for one would love to see what you could do with a 'kitbash' of your Dapol purchases.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

robert shrives

I have got the 3D prints as well and I will continue to build so I can have a test train option for an APT - As this was towed to and from Derby a bit of rule one can apply for not having OLE.
I wonder if the 3D prints elsewhere could be used for some fantasy liveries..
Reg rail /Scotrail maybes if the fleet had had the bufferless option and had been used for overnight freights?
Robert 

ohlavache

I've just read on RMweb that Dapol just gave some details about the upcoming HST Prototype set.
There will be 2 power cars, 8 saloons and 2 buffets. It should be available by fall 2016.

That's a huge set. I suppose a very expensive one. And thus I can withdraw it from my "to buy list".  :o  :(

davidinyork

Quote from: ohlavache on February 22, 2016, 06:42:29 PM
I've just read on RMweb that Dapol just gave some details about the upcoming HST Prototype set.
There will be 2 power cars, 8 saloons and 2 buffets. It should be available by fall 2016.

That's a huge set. I suppose a very expensive one. And thus I can withdraw it from my "to buy list".  :o  :(

Presumably they aren't going to sell it all as one item? The norm with HSTs is power cars and two coaches, then the rest as individual items.

Bob G

Sounds like two or three boxed sets might be the route they take:

i.e. Two power cars, and a TFO and TSO coach in one boxed set, and four coaches in each of the two other boxed sets, maybe two TSO, a TFO and a buffet in each, with different running numbers, unless one coach set has the auto trailer which ran with it on test trains in DRC colours....

I don't actually remember the combination of TFO and TSO so maybe someone could help here.
But as you say, if you needed to buy all three boxes or nothing then Dapol would be limiting sales a bit :)

Best
Bob

davidinyork

Quote from: Bob G on February 22, 2016, 06:55:55 PM
Sounds like two or three boxed sets might be the route they take:

i.e. Two power cars, and a TFO and TSO coach in one boxed set, and four coaches in each of the two other boxed sets, maybe two TSO, a TFO and a buffet in each, with different running numbers, unless one coach set has the auto trailer which ran with it on test trains in DRC colours....

I don't actually remember the combination of TFO and TSO so maybe someone could help here.
But as you say, if you needed to buy all three boxes or nothing then Dapol would be limiting sales a bit :)

Best
Bob

Given the tooling costs, it seems likely that they will do several options. One other obvious one is a set of 41001 with its current three matching Mk3s - 11074, 10206 and 12092.

Bob G

My memory failed me - on page 1of this thread I gave links to show that it did indeed run as a ten coach test train before settling down to an eight coach set in WR service.

See http://www.traintesting.com/consist_HST.htm for details.

So enough coaches for three boxed sets as previously suggested.

When it settled down in revenue service it ran as TF-TF-TF-TRUK-TRSB-TS-TS-TS (missing a TF and a TS)

The Mk 3s had buffers in the prototype train - DAPOL PLEASE NOTE.

Best
Bob

davidinyork

Quote from: Bob G on February 22, 2016, 07:11:53 PM
My memory failed me - on page 1of this thread I gave links to show that it did indeed run as a ten coach test train before settling down to an eight coach set in WR service.

See http://www.traintesting.com/consist_HST.htm for details.

So enough coaches for three boxed sets as previously suggested.

When it settled down in revenue service it ran as TF-TF-TF-TRUK-TRSB-TS-TS-TS (missing a TF and a TS)

The Mk 3s had buffers in the prototype train - DAPOL PLEASE NOTE.

Best
Bob

The other two coaches went to be converted into royal train coaches (they are still part of the royal train).

They did have buffers as you say, but there are also quite a number of other differences which it won't be practical for Dapol to do as it would require new toolings - e.g. lack of window surrounds, different roof detail, different doors, underframe dffferences.

The five which are still in revenue service (two with GW and three with VTEC) have been heavily modified and are now very similar to the later production coaches, although they do still have some differences including the roof ventilators and the lack of window surrounds.

Bob G

We have seen that when manufacturers make departmental stock etc from existing bodyshells they tend to use paint to cover up windows that shouldn't be there (Farish DRC stock and yellow BSK with extras painted on) or simply ignore the differences (Dapol Auto Trailer in DRC colours, one size fits all Mk 3 Buffet) so why worry. it will be almost right, and better than anything I could paint.

Bob

Karhedron

Dapol have now opened a page for expressions of interest. Taking a leaf out of RevolutioN's books perhaps? ;)

http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information%2Fnews&news_id=154#.VvAQRfn5eUl
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Cazadoom

Hi all

http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=154#.VvAHwsunzqA2

Seems like expressions of interest

10 car train 2 power cars and firsts an second mk3s only no buffet as too expensive

£349.99

Needs 700 people

Cheers

Callum

ohlavache

£350 !!!  :'(  :veryangry: :censored:

Who can run 8 coaches on its layout ?
Who can spend so much money ?
Do they try kill the project ?

I fear I won't be able to get one with such a pack.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: ohlavache on March 21, 2016, 04:40:48 PM

Hi

I can
I could and its quite reasonable for what you get.
I think they are being very sensible in testing the market.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Snowwolflair

Quote from: ohlavache on March 21, 2016, 04:40:48 PM

It's not going to go down in value and as I know the designer of the real train its a must have  :beers:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations