Moon landing - 50 years

Started by Bealman, July 11, 2019, 07:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

Nice!

I was one when the landing happened.

:D

I have been to Houston Space Centre though, I've seen the mission control room, and they have a Saturn V, undercover played out in sections. It's awesome.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bealman

Yes, it's a shame that this hardware was ready and capable to fly to the moon.

Now it's just sitting there rustin'
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

themadhippy

if you havnt seen it The dish worth a watch,especially the national anthem scene :D.It tells the story of the parkes radio telescopes role in the moon landing
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Bealman

Yes, Sam Neil, Aussie movie.  :beers:

njee20

Quote from: emjaybee on July 11, 2019, 11:07:04 AM
Nice!

I was one when the landing happened.

:D

It was 17 years before I was born ;)

That Lego Saturn is awesome! I agree that Mission Control in Houston is fascinating, as is Kennedy Space Centre in Florida, knocks the socks off Disney! I've heard great things about the docu-movie.

Edit: and as if by magic, look what literally just popped up on my Facebook feed:

Untitled by njee20, on Flickr

Bealman

It says on the box of the Lego kit, 1969 pieces.

Coincidence?

I know I had a few left over, but no missing pieces until the very last one!

As that was for one of the stands to lie it on, I'm not gonna be writing to them in a hurry  ;)

Graham

love the model George, I was 14 when they landed and we got to watch it in school which was a real bonus.

Many years later I got to the Air and Space museum in Washington and stood by a replica of one of the nozzles, it made you realise how big the Saturn rockets actually were. Would have loved to get to Cape Canaveral on my trips to Florida unfortunately work expected me to work whilst I was there.

Enjoyed the Dish immensely.
Cheers
Graham

railsquid

I am just young enough to remember the hullaballoo about Skylab adding some excitement to the scenery in Western Australia.

I must put Kennedy/Canaveral on the bucket list. Annoyingly I was in the US at the time the last shuttle went up, but was unable to get there.

I did see the Apollo 10 (?) command module in the Science Museum (in the same hall where they have the brain of a distant relative on display).

In other space news, Japan has just collected some asteroid rubble: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48946603

Invicta Alec

Very brave men, all of those Apollo guys. I was 18 at the time Eagle landed at the Sea of Tranquility! Like millions of others, I watched every last minute of the missions.

I remember owning a 386 computer in 1985. It had a 40 megabyte hard drive and 2 megabytes of memory. We ran the office accounts and customer contact list on it (slowly). The astronauts total computing power on Apollo 11 was roughly equal to this apparently.  :o

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Bealman

Gary Burcombe

I was lucky enough to catch a shuttle launch when holidaying in Orlando years ago.  The noise and the rate of ascent is truly amazing and cannot be appreciated unless you are there.  The space centre was excellent too.  I was four and parked in front of the TV for the moon landing, apparently, but I have no memory of it.

grumbeast

I was but a few months old in 69, but remember the first shuttle launch in 1981.  I was on holidays with my Aunt and some of her friends from her church in a caravan in North Wales.  I upset them all as I refused to leave the caravan or the TV until I'd watched the whole thing.  To this day I can't understand people who don't see these things as momentous

thebrighton

Quote from: Bob G on July 11, 2019, 09:01:07 AM
I understand that all of them on Apollo 11 elected never to go into space again.
I wonder why? Was it the stress, perhaps?

Because they'd all only signed a one movie deal!
Someone had to bring conspiracy theories up  ;)

Bealman

There's some famous footage of Buzz Aldrin slugging a reporter in the face when he suggested that!

Unfortunately Tom Hanks only gave these morons fuel when he produced the lmax movie "Walking on the Moon 3D'

There again these pathetic souls say "Photoshopped" when you show them photos of the landing sites taken from lunar orbiters  :veryangry:

themadhippy

QuoteSomeone had to bring conspiracy theories up
conspiracy theory??? All the proof you need to prove  landings were infact staged.
http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/stuff/nasa-fakes-moon-landing.html
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations