Buying secondhand locos

Started by daffy, January 04, 2017, 11:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

Quote from: Dr Al on January 07, 2017, 02:08:17 PM

If I may dare to go off topic.....but are they really 'modellers' then...?

Perhaps 'hobbyists' would be a more inclusive term. :) Though of course we 'model' our entire layouts. Perhaps the gifted loco fettlers might prefer the epithet of 'model engineers'.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dodger

Quote from: Dr Al on January 07, 2017, 01:35:24 PM
Quote from: dodger on January 07, 2017, 01:30:26 PM
Doesn't not maintaining a loco invalidate the warranty?

Depends what you do - oiling, cleaning certainly shouldn't.

Warranties are fairly finite anyway - a year or two. It pretty quickly goes, so after that you are on your own anyway, and will sooner or later have to do something to a loco that's >2 years old.

Cheers,
Alan

What I meant was that if a manufacturer sometimes states a period for oiling. If this isn't done is the warranty invalid?

Dodger

austinbob

Quote from: Dr Al on January 07, 2017, 02:08:17 PM
Quote from: austinbob on January 07, 2017, 01:54:38 PM
If people are happy fettling their locos then fine. However, I wonder how many N gauge modellers are not interested in fettling

If I may dare to go off topic.....but are they really 'modellers' then...?

Quote from: austinbob on January 07, 2017, 01:54:38 PM
As regards maintenance, as far as I'm aware, Dapol and Farish only indicate that periodic oiling is required. There is no mention in instructions of any other maintenance requirements. So the non fettlers would never consider doing anything to their locos other than oiling.

Basic cleaning of wheels and pickups also must be in there - even "non-fettlers" will run into needing to do this sooner or later.

Even oiling can be got wrong - if you douse the thing in oil that's often worse than not oiling it.

Cheers,
Alan
Many N gauge enthusiasts may not be 'modellers' in your terms. They just want to buy stuff and run it. As I understand it, that is precisely what the Kato track system helps us to do. Others may be interested in just the scenic side of the hobby and just want to run trains through their scenic creations.
Most newcomers to the hobby are probably not Modellers yet, but may become so in the future, unless put off by bad design and poor quality kit.
Regarding maintenance I repeat that as far as I'm aware there is no maintenance requirement in loco instructions other than oiling and the requirement for running in. Maybe there should be?
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: dodger on January 07, 2017, 02:19:52 PM
Quote from: Dr Al on January 07, 2017, 01:35:24 PM
Quote from: dodger on January 07, 2017, 01:30:26 PM
Doesn't not maintaining a loco invalidate the warranty?

Depends what you do - oiling, cleaning certainly shouldn't.

Warranties are fairly finite anyway - a year or two. It pretty quickly goes, so after that you are on your own anyway, and will sooner or later have to do something to a loco that's >2 years old.

Cheers,
Alan

What I meant was that if a manufacturer sometimes states a period for oiling. If this isn't done is the warranty invalid?

Dodger
Probably but it might be difficult to prove you hadn't oiled the loco.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

dodger

Quote from: austinbob on January 07, 2017, 08:41:56 AM
Quote from: longbow on January 06, 2017, 11:10:35 PM
It also appears that many initial problems with new locos are easily fixed so that will be another benefit of some competence in the fettling department.   
In my opinion, if its a new loco and it has a fault, it should be returned as faulty. You shouldn't have to fix faulty goods of any kind. If a telly you bought was broken, would you try and fix it yourself - I don't think so.

The more we put up with faulty N gauge items then the less likely it is that the manufacturers will resolve the design/quality assurance and control problems.

Just because we are capable of fixing a new faulty loco, it doesn't mean we should. What about all the poor so and so's who have little technical knowledge and who just buy N gauge stuff to take out of the box and run on their layout.

:beers:

I once returned a Dapol after 2 days because none of the pickups on one side of the engine were working. The loco was relying on the tender pickups. It of course ran perfectly but failed to stop in the correct position at the station because of the defect unless running tender first.

The Model shop eventually agreed to replace after about an hour of discussion it but couldn't comprehend the problem.

Dodger

railsquid

Quote from: Byegad on January 06, 2017, 03:04:48 PM
@newportnobby
I have bought 5 9Fs and returnd 3 as they persistently derailed, a Britannia, which shed both traction tyres within 3 feet of very gentle running and a Class 27 which didn't run in the shop so possibly doesn't count as a 'return' but  I had my card in my hand when it didn't move!

4/7x100=57.142857recurring %. So verging on 60%. I also have, bought very second hand 2 9Fs, a Britannia and a class 27, all Minitrix and all faultless.
I've just received a 2nd hand Dapol 27, works fine - a tad noisy but well withing the acceptable range, and nothing compared to the brand new chainsaw level Class 33 with failed lightiing, which will be dispatched shortly to the retailer (in the same packaging as they sent me the Class 27).

Meanwhile earlier today I purchased here in Tokyo a 2nd hand Farish 46 with handily pre-split gears for a very handsome discount on the already reasonable price after a bit of exaggerated hemming-and-hawing and explaining that very Farish problem to the shop staff...

davidinyork

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 05, 2017, 08:47:22 AM
Jewelers oil is best failing that a good gun oil.   Never Electrolub or WD40

Dapol sell their own branded oil which I have found to be good.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations