Dapol tribute

Started by Chris Morris, March 20, 2017, 01:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoffc

I run modern image and have Dapol 66s 67s HSTs and 153s. The early 66s are noisy and the pcbs on the 67s give problems and the lack of spares is annnoying, but Farish are no great shakes for spares availability. I have always found Dapol prepared to go that futher mile to help and have had many bargins in their NQP sales at open days. All the Dapol stock I have are fitted with NEM sockets so I can use their dummy knuckle couplers and Easi Shunts without conversions unlike a lot of my Farish stock. Long may they prosper.

Geoff

Elvinley

Although I have had mixed feelings over the years about the products I have found them as a company to be very approachable and helpful and Joel has always been great at dealing with issues that have arisen. The open days have been an eye opener and certainly made me feel more warmth towards the company and people involved. I speak honestly if there is an issue with a loco but that goes for Dapol or Farish.

silly moo

I think some of us have mixed feelings about Dapol but there would be great wailing and gnashing of teeth if they went out of business.

Elvinley

Quote from: silly moo on March 21, 2017, 04:37:14 PM
I think some of us have mixed feelings about Dapol but there would be great wailing and gnashing of teeth if they went out of business.

Oh absolutely.

SD35

When I returned to playing with toy trains I opted to go with the US scene as it happened to coincide with the Farish famine period.  I was rather content with watching pairs of Kato SD40-2s and Atlas Dash-8s dragging lots of coal and containers around long winding layouts.

Then I noticed that Dapol where introducing class 86s and mk3s and it tipped me back to the UK again.  Over a dozen 86s and a couple of 26s later, all fault free, and I'm very grateful to Dapol for giving the UK scene a shot in the arm.

Nik96

I've only had a handful of Dapol products but never had a single problem with any of them I couldn't fix in 30 seconds.

Long may Dapol prosper and keep delivering quality I've come to know.
4 Layouts in, I've never got further than ballasting track. 5th time lucky?

N-Gauge-US

I sent Joel a note of support this morning and mentioned this thread, with a link. He wrote back a very nice note and said he was very grateful for the support and understanding expressed here. We need to remember that this is someone doing his job to the best of his abilities, with employees and their families to think about too, and not a human punching bag for our frustrations.
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Fardap

It would be a shame if we lost a UK based manufacturer, even if the majority of build is done in China, but no one here would pay the price they would have to charge for UK assembled models I am sure...

I think they are making sound business decisions in a very volatile market situation, hopefully things will settle back down and they come out the other side with new models to announce, although I think that will be a similar timeframe to the *shhh* Brexit :-X process timeframe.

ohlavache

As a good French guy, I'll start with negative things.
What seems the more upsetting in recent Dapol's announcement is that it took so many years to come to that end.

Besides, I do remember all the lovely models I have. My two Bubble cars, my Terrier (maybe the greatest steam I have), the milk tankers, the gun powder vans and the CCT !
They all run very well and give me a lot of entertainment.
That's the most important.

I have several candidates on my shopping list: the class 33 in green with full yellow ends, the HST in its dark green GWR livery, the class 153 in citizensrail and maybe the Pacer.

Sprintex

For the second time today I've had to split topics from this thread and dump them in the "other thread". If you wish to moan, or question QC policies, or anything else unrelated to the subject of this thread as started by Chris then kindly post them there rather than here.

:thankyousign:

Paul

Drakken

I've never had any issues with any Dapol purchases new or second hand but this little quote from their website might mean better quality control and future releases or manufacturing maybe scrutinised better from themselves?

"It is also our intention to make more products at our own factory in the UK. This is a slow process with huge learning challenges, however we all at Dapol are committed to this and are proud of what we make in our small factory in Chirk"

Also "China means that the decision to invest in projects and develop new lines is becoming increasingly difficult. Not only is the unit cost of models rising at an alarming rate but the cost of the tooling is also escalating."

If Dapol themselves are building the stock themselves better quality control as made in house?  :beers:

PLD

Quote from: Drakken on March 23, 2017, 01:43:54 PM
If Dapol themselves are building the stock themselves better quality control as made in house?  :beers:
If it does genuinely lead to a higher quality product (even at the inevitably higher price point) then they have my support and custom, but the fear is that the more vocal critics want high spec on the cheap and won't put their money where their mouth is...

Drakken

I totally agree, I honestly don't buy that many locomotives since I've been interested in N Gauge but paying a premium price for product that in itself is premium that's fine in my book  :beers:

*Cough Class 50  :laugh:

Newportnobby

I would happily pay more for something with a lifetime guarantee.
My life, that is, not the models :worried:

Chris Morris

I have just completed another weekend exhibition with my layout making a total of nine days hard running at exhibitions over the last 9 months. My fleet of 11 Dapol and 4 GF locos have worked hard pulling either eight coach passenger trains of 20 wagon freight trains up and down hill for hours. The layout was running from 9:30 to 5:00 both days this weekend. At exhibitions any loco that doesn't run totally satisfactorily is put back in my stock box to be worked on when I get home.  This has not happened to any member of this fleet at any exhibition. I therefore see them all as good quality products that are fit for purpose.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations