Wagons for a brewery

Started by 50plus, December 04, 2016, 03:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50plus

I am thinking about using Metcalfe's Brewery kit to build a small layout but what type of wagons should I get to service the loading dock etc. I will be using a 04 shunter.

Milano

port perran

I would suggest standard box vans or open wagons for barrels, casks and crates.. Their are various branded versions available having Wothington, Bass etc branding.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Jerry Howlett

I am selling some Minitrix  shoc vans on e-bay ideal...

Really you need some basic 12Ton vans Farish / Peco and a few 5 or 7 plank open wagons also Tube (long open wagons) I have read that old cattle wagons were also used but can't confirm that..

As you are in the Diesel era I think you should avoid branded brewery wagons as by the 60's they would be using standard Br liveried wagons.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

NeMo

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on December 04, 2016, 04:06:09 PM
As you are in the Diesel era I think you should avoid branded brewery wagons as by the 60's they would be using standard Br liveried wagons.

Indeed, though you might be able to get away with using branded tank wagons. To the best of my knowledge though, what little beer traffic was left by the 1960s was in metal kegs, and these were loaded onto a pallets, so a pallet wagon (such as a Vanwide) might be more realistic. I don't think any such traffic lasted into the 1970s, but if it did, no doubt it would have ended up in VAA-type covered goods wagons. Dapol also do a lovely 'Taunton Cider' bogie ferry van that would be the sort of thing such traffic gets loaded onto for export. It wouldn't really be Rule 1 if you invoked a similar scenario where this internationally famous ale of yours was shipped out in ferry vans once a week.

On the other hand, the transport of grain to breweries was (and still is) significant. So a more realistic approach might be to have lorries carrying away the finished beer or sprits, but trains bringing in the raw materials.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Chris Morris

Quote from: NeMo on December 04, 2016, 04:21:56 PM
Quote from: Jerry Howlett on December 04, 2016, 04:06:09 PM

Indeed, though you might be able to get away with using branded tank wagons. To the best of my knowledge though, what little beer traffic was left by the 1960s was in metal kegs, and these were loaded onto a pallets, so a pallet wagon (such as a Vanwide) might be more realistic. I don't think any such traffic lasted into the 1970s, but if it did, no doubt it would have ended up in VAA-type covered goods wagons. Dapol also do a lovely 'Taunton Cider' bogie ferry van that would be the sort of thing such traffic gets loaded onto for export. It wouldn't really be Rule 1 if you invoked a similar scenario where this internationally famous ale of yours was shipped out in ferry vans once a week.

On the other hand, the transport of grain to breweries was (and still is) significant. So a more realistic approach might be to have lorries carrying away the finished beer or sprits, but trains bringing in the raw materials.

Cheers, NeMo

I agree. Beer from small breweries (and the Metcalfe one is very small) would probably be for local consumption. Ingredients to make the beer, hops etc just might come in by train. That's the theory I work to anyway.

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations