Early and late Blue class 86 locomotives (and their close relations)

Started by 47 years N, November 10, 2016, 02:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47 years N

I don't like roundy roundys. Took me just 50 years to realise 🙄

ScottyStitch

Have you considered getting someone to professionally respray the railfreight ones? at £50 a pop, I'm sure it could be resprayed for a total cost of the same or less than a brand new release would .....

PaulCheffus

Quote from: GreatBigBlue on November 10, 2016, 02:32:55 PM
A cheap railfreight livery doesn't do me any good as I can't respray them (not my skill set).

Hi

There are plenty of people who can and will for a price though.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

ScottyStitch

@Chris may be able to help in the respray respect, if he is still in the market......

johnlambert

As I recall Dapol announced on the Dapol Digest forum another run of 86s including early Electric Blue and the InterCity liveries (plus others).

I can't remember when they're due but if I get a chance I'll have another look tonight, unless someone else beats me to it.

railsquid

Hurry, there are only 4 left: http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=311

(The other day they were down to 1, I guess they keep finding stashes somewhere).

I do have a couple of "Virgin"-liveried Grafar 87s with an eye to respraying to a proper livery, once I acquire a spray gun thingy and the time to practice. Though if Dapol would roll out a new BR Blue batch of 86s I'd still shell out full RRP for one or two, even without an assurance that they've fired the person responsible for the directional lighting in Dapol locos (so far not a problem with the 86s at least).

ScottyStitch

Quote from: johnlambert on November 10, 2016, 03:02:58 PM
As I recall Dapol announced on the Dapol Digest forum another run of 86s including early Electric Blue and the InterCity liveries (plus others).

I can't remember when they're due but if I get a chance I'll have another look tonight, unless someone else beats me to it.

I just checked. As of two weeks ago, estimate was 9 months time.

railsquid

Quote from: ScottyStitch on November 10, 2016, 03:09:14 PM

So 2019 sometime. I can live that long. Doing my best to relieve them of their current Class 86 stock, even if it caused the lights on my Class 22 to fail.  ???

ScottyStitch

Quote from: railsquid on November 10, 2016, 03:11:09 PM

So 2019 sometime. I can live that long. Doing my best to relieve them of their current Class 86 stock, even if it caused the lights on my Class 22 to fail.  ???

:smiley-laughing:

ScottyStitch

Quote from: railsquid on November 10, 2016, 03:08:32 PM
Hurry, there are only 4 left: http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=311

(The other day they were down to 1, I guess they keep finding stashes somewhere).

I do have a couple of "Virgin"-liveried Grafar 87s with an eye to respraying to a proper livery, once I acquire a spray gun thingy and the time to practice. Though if Dapol would roll out a new BR Blue batch of 86s I'd still shell out full RRP for one or two, even without an assurance that they've fired the person responsible for the directional lighting in Dapol locos (so far not a problem with the 86s at least).

Moooowhahahahahah you fool! (Cue all the 86 lights failing) ;)

railsquid

Quote from: ScottyStitch on November 10, 2016, 03:14:48 PM
Quote from: railsquid on November 10, 2016, 03:08:32 PM

Moooowhahahahahah you fool! (Cue all the 86 lights failing) ;)
I did get one out for a test run the other day and when replacing it in the box managed to knock the pantograph into its constituent pieces. Fortunately it's not the first pantograph I've reassembled...

NeMo

Quote from: GreatBigBlue on November 10, 2016, 02:32:55 PM
A cheap railfreight livery doesn't do me any good as I can't respray them (not my skill set)

Have you tried? Seriously, plain rail blue on these locos is very straightforward. I've resprayed both the Farish 87 and the Dapol 86, and while not quite as good as my C&M Models rail blue 86, I feel it was good enough!

I'd argue that finding something outside your skill set, and then trying to master that skill is part of the fun of railway modelling. I've found the hobby a lot more rewarding -- and cheaper! -- making stuff rather than relying on manufacturers.

Cheers, NeMo

PS, this *was* a Virgin-liveried 87.

(Former NGS Journal Editor)

railsquid

This, I have Nemo's post bookmarked somewhere awaiting the required round tuits (have small child in house, which complicates things somewhat).

NeMo

Quote from: GreatBigBlue on November 10, 2016, 04:59:33 PM
Looks good. I do have a spray kit compressor and all but it has mainly been an ornament for two years. Time to cast off the shackles of manufacturer release dates and have a go.  Then there is category Doh!

Great! If you look at BRLines, he usually has some old Farish bodies for sale, including a Class 55 for £4.05, so you could buy one of those and have a play before committing to an actual model.

http://brlines.co.uk/original-farish-spares/

There's also a Class 87 body for £18, including glazing and pantograph details, so that'd be a good next step. You could do that one, and keep the original 87 body as a back-up, so either way, you'd not "ruin" your model.

http://brlines.co.uk/bachmann-loco-bodies/

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Newportnobby

Quote from: railsquid on November 10, 2016, 03:11:09 PM

I just lurve your Dapol maths ;D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations