How many locos do you own?

Started by petejones, August 02, 2018, 07:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Quote from: njee20 on April 12, 2020, 09:19:28 PM
I think to have big numbers you need to start diversifying your collecting habits!

It seems most people with >100 are going for multiple geographies/eras. Makes me feel better about having about 20 EWS or DB 66s.

Indeed - well over 300 powered units (locomotives, multiple units etc.), according to the spreadsheet, which is not quite up-to-date. Split over Japanese, German and UK outline, with a sprinkling of US and other oddities.

Probably about 60% Japanese outline, because easily available and very cheap.

Probably about 80% second hand/discounted bargain...

grumbeast

I think im up to around 120 various powered units, from multiple juristictions, US / Canada / Europe / UK

Platy767

I'm way below these kind of numbers. I have 12 powered units, 4 of which have kit built bodies, plus another 9 body kits awaiting their turn for a build and a chassis (many of which will never be completed). In reality I probably only need 4 locos to play with.

Bealman

27, all British outline, except for the blow-in from Tokyo  ;D

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Platy767

Quote from: Bealman on April 13, 2020, 04:43:08 AM

Yes, mine too. All British except for the local CPH railmotor ring in.
(Can't seem to post a photo of it to the forum at the moment)

Ok. Photo uploads now working

Train Waiting

Quote from: Paddy on April 12, 2020, 03:53:18 PM
Far too many and have been reducing the stud for a year or so now.  I had a romantic image of having only the locos that TT and Hornby Dublo released represented in N gauge.

Kind regards

Paddy

What a brilliant idea!
And there's such a lot available.  I suppose the major omission from the current ranges is an original 'BB' 4-6-2.  One could either have the old Graham Farish one or a new 'MN', as Tri-ang made this class, albeit in 'TT'.  Oh, and a 'Princess Royal' is a definite omission.  And an 'L1' 4-4-0 would be a terrific introduction from Union Mills - here's hoping!

And, I'm given to understand, there might be diesels and electrics...

Quote from: Invicta Alec on April 12, 2020, 11:32:02 PM
You see folks I only own 15 dmus/emus and 3 diesel/hydraulic locos. Poor old me  :worried:
Alec.

No wonder you're worried, Alec.  I think that you urgently require some lovely steam locomotives to work lots of fantastic 'Pullman Dining' excursions.  An old Farish 'MN' Clan Line would be simply wonderful.  I've not travelled with her yet; that can be my 'retirement present' from me to me!

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Portpatrick

I guess my numbers relate to a mix of eras and locations.  Steam, green diesel era almost anywhere in Scotland.  And 2000 onwards Scotland.  Perhaps I need to add a range of blue era!

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on April 12, 2020, 09:19:28 PM

It seems most people with >100 are going for multiple geographies/eras.

You're a star, Nick.
In one sentence you've justified my count of about 110 with more on order as, pitching my layout loosely on Oxford, I have stock from WR, SR, LMR and ER so that's less than 30 per region. If I was only doing one region I would think that's not enough.
:thankyousign: :thankyousign: :thankyousign:

Bealman

Quote from: Platy767 on April 13, 2020, 06:25:53 AM

Yes, mine too. All British except for the local CPH railmotor ring in.
(Can't seem to post a photo of it to the forum at the moment)

Ok. Photo uploads now working

Aha! The old red rattler (except it's not red yet)! I used to go to work in one of those, 1974-75!!  :beers:

Skyline2uk

I think (without looking at sheet) I am at 49 powered units with 3 more in order.

Broadly split into 2 era (late BR / Early private) with one old Poole GWR 2-6-2 Tank thrown in because at the time I liked it and I can do the odd rail tour.

Majority are sector diesels, or NSE units. A bit more left field are my Chunnel related stock (Eurostar, Class 92 and 37/6) and of course the Poppyleno.

Taste now leaning to engineering stock and kit building, and tempted to stray backwards towards BR Red Stripe and Blue.

Skyline2uk

joe cassidy

I have 33 locos from Farish/Dapol/U Mills, 5 diesel/electric, the rest steam.

The outlay for all my rolling stock is around £4000, spent over the past 24 years.

Best regards,

Joe

daffy

I've got enough.

Well, actually, the exact quote is:

"You've got enough!"

That's what she said.

I'm trying very hard to ignore it. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Platy767

Quote from: Bealman on April 13, 2020, 10:27:27 AM
Quote from: Platy767 on April 13, 2020, 06:25:53 AM

Aha! The old red rattler (except it's not red yet)! I used to go to work in one of those, 1974-75!!  :beers:

With some roof top plumbing, a cowcatcher on the front and a bit of paint I would like to think I can get a representation of the real thing.

Bealman

I'm assuming a white metal kit?

And what is the source of the chassis, please?

Platy767

Quote from: Bealman on April 13, 2020, 11:11:53 AM
I'm assuming a white metal kit?

And what is the source of the chassis, please?

Yes. It is an NTrains whitemetal kit.
https://www.n-trains.com.au/

Originally it was released to fit a Greenmax chassis that became unavailable. I bought the version that had a piece of brass plate with 2 bogies on it - an unpowered version.

Recently I spotted a 4.5V Japanese chassis on a wonderful Japanese site (I got my Tomix chassis for my Sentinel railcar there) and thought it could fit the whitemetal body. I use an SCR controller that I power from 6V AC and it seems to be acceptable. The chassis has 2 motors, one over each bogie and it does a slight wheelstand when the juice is applied. The wheels don't leave the track, but the bogie does have a little tilt upwards for a short time.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations