Gaugemaster Collection: Class 73's

Started by guest6298, August 31, 2018, 05:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

I'm not sure that would be the best use of their resources.  This updated 73 is a pretty reasonable model, especially for the price, and my new green one runs like an absolute dream (although I appreciate that probably won't be the case with all of them).  I'd much rather see investment on new tooling go to a wholly new model eg a 71, or 2/4-EPB, or pretty much any southern 3rd rail unit.

Sparking effect would be great!

Mark

GrahamB

I have developed a third rail arc effect using the pocket money kit from MERG.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

LASteve

Quote from: Mark on October 26, 2021, 01:51:39 PM
I'd much rather see investment on new tooling go to a wholly new model eg a 71, or 2/4-EPB, or pretty much any southern 3rd rail unit.

Sparking effect would be great!

Mark
Agree 100%.

Newportnobby

Much though I like the looks of the class 71 it's one of those locos I couldn't possibly justify appearing in Oxfordshire as it just wouldn't work!

Mark

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 26, 2021, 07:30:18 PM
Much though I like the looks of the class 71 it's one of those locos I couldn't possibly justify appearing in Oxfordshire as it just wouldn't work!

Of course it would. Just stick it on the track and turn the dial! If for any reason it doesn't work send it back to the shop for a replacement. Whose railway is it after all? 😉

Mark

LASteve

Also, E5001 is pictured at Doncaster in shiny green livery. Something must have hauled it up there, no doubt from Eastleigh via Reading and Didcot/Oxford. Plenty of excuses!

Newportnobby

Quote from: LASteve on October 26, 2021, 08:51:30 PM
Also, E5001 is pictured at Doncaster in shiny green livery. Something must have hauled it up there, no doubt from Eastleigh via Reading and Didcot/Oxford. Plenty of excuses!

Thanks, Steve, but I'll pass as I like to see my locos hauling a train of something rather than dead loco.

LASteve

Mr Sprue

Quote from: LASteve on October 26, 2021, 08:51:30 PM

As someone who has spent many researched and modeling hours over this loco. It is with deep regret to inform you that E5001 went under cosmetic restoration at Shildon where she was resprayed in BR Blue and renumbered to 71001.  :(   

LASteve

I received my BR Blue 73 yesterday - slightly delayed in customs but anything less than two weeks from the UK is fine with me.

I ran it in for a few minutes in each direction with my DC test setup (sounds grand, it's a 9V battery!) then popped off the body, swapped in a Zimo decoder and two minutes later it was programmed and running on the main layout.

I left it going for about an hour in each direction, and it runs like a sewing machine; really smooth and slow-speed operation is great. Very pleased with this model. I'm not sure about its pulling capacity as it does feel very light in the hand, but it'll be fine for what I have planned for it.

Bob G

Quote from: LASteve on October 28, 2021, 05:37:45 PM
Very pleased with this model. I'm not sure about its pulling capacity as it does feel very light in the hand, but it'll be fine for what I have planned for it.
Quick.
Renumber it.
Paint the horns black. They didn't stay silver for long if at all.
Change the colour of the fibreglass roof panels back to grey.
Weather it, to get rid of that hideous bright blue.
THEN it might start to look like a real 73 :)

Best of luck, for whatever you have planned for it!
Bob

LASteve

Quote from: Bob G on October 28, 2021, 05:46:30 PM
Quick.
Renumber it.
Paint the horns black. They didn't stay silver for long if at all.
Change the colour of the fibreglass roof panels back to grey.
Weather it, to get rid of that hideous bright blue.
THEN it might start to look like a real 73 :)

Best of luck, for whatever you have planned for it!
Bob
Thanks, Bob, I'll put all that on the to-do list!

Do you know where I can find appropriate renumber set transfers? I looked at Fox but didn't see anything for the CL 73 in N.

Adam1701D

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

LASteve

Quote from: captainelectra on October 28, 2021, 07:53:33 PM
Try RailTec Models.
Thanks, Adam. Their waterslide transfers look to be ideal.

SouthernJohn

My 73 arrived this morning from Kernow, it looks great to me. I picked up the BR Green version, maybe a little late for my period and slightly towards the wrong end of the Southern Region, but I thought something a little more modern would be a treat, at least compared to the kettles anyway.

I did have a small issue with running in, my loco was jerking along at slow speeds which was a real shame even after oiling. However, I did figure out the problem. Some of the packing grease had somehow transferred itself onto the wheels and the wheelbacks of the loco on both bogies, and this was stopping the current from flowing through properly to the motor. A quick clean and it is running like a dream! Just wanted to put this out there in case anybody had a similar problem.
Have a great week,

John

Visit Sunny Hayworth-on-Sea! Southern Seaside Steam.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=51061.msg668335#msg668335

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations