what are you listening to at the moment?

Started by findus, January 20, 2011, 12:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pobda and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

port perran

Those are some interesting choices @Platy767 including several artists that I don't know.
I'm working my way through the list.
Frontiers by John Boswell has definitely caught my attention.
Cheers
Martin
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

joe cassidy

Quote from: Platy767 on April 04, 2024, 04:06:24 AMDue to a forced downsize and relocation of audio equipment, I have been in the pre purchase phase of listening to speakers. I made a CD with familiar tracks and have been listening to some great and not so great quality recordings. I think the not so great quality recordings were as useful as the good quality recordings in helping me pick a pair of small speakers I could live with.

What speakers did you choose Mark ?

Platy767

Quote from: Moonglum on April 04, 2024, 02:15:11 PMI first heard Dave Grusin on his Direct Cut Disc "Discovered Again" but only have a CD copy now. I will have a listen to Supertramp again to see if my CD is a bit edgy.

@Moonglum Hi Tim,

I also have the Discovered Again CD and my Dave Grusin introduction was via the very mainstream "Mountain Dance" on vinyl.

My only D2D I have is Lincoln Mayorga and Distinguished Colleague Vol 3. I quite like the America from West Side Story on that one. The Freegal service I have from local libraries now has a lot of Lincoln's recordings available as 256kb MP3s for free.

I'd be interested in your opinion about the Supertramp. I suspect it is probably down to the level of equipment I was auditioning, but I had the vinyl back in the day - with different equipment back then, and I thought it sounded great. Could be just bad muscle memory, although I recall I had to turn the old ARs down at the top end when I started with CDs.

I'll have another listen myself through the headphone rig.

Cheers,
Mark

Platy767

Quote from: joe cassidy on April 04, 2024, 09:11:05 PMWhat speakers did you choose Mark ?

Hi Joe,

I got some Encel Gelati. Supposed to be a local design, but it looks like a hybrid/mix of Wharfedale Diamond bits.
https://www.stereonet.com/au/reviews/encel-gelati-bookshelf-speakers-review

I must say I think my room has a big influence on the sound. I think they sounded better in the 2 shops where I listened to them.

Mark

Newportnobby

Quote from: joe cassidy on April 04, 2024, 09:11:05 PMWhat speakers did you choose Mark ?

Quote from: Platy767 on April 04, 2024, 11:51:17 AMI went with the Encel speakers because they were smaller, softer on top and just sounded good enough.

Newportnobby

I have their album 'The Resistance' but, for some reason, rarely play it so it's on now :hmmm:

ntpntpntp

A bit of proper Gothic Metal this morning, courtesy of NFD. Saw them some years ago and was blown away with their live show :)

[edit] Oh and some new Sweet Ermengarde too.   Saw these guys at a small gig (only about a dozen of us in the audience and most of them were members of other bands).   They still put on a great show :)

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

I can't recall which forum member got me into these but I really like them

and

GroupC

port perran

Quote from: AndrewPH on April 05, 2024, 09:26:14 AMCurrently working my way backwards through Muse's back catalogue.

Right now: Simulation Theory  :) 

Half the time I think they're so over the top and melodramatic that they must be deliberately parodying themselves (a clever trick if you think about it) but I still love them, always have and always will.
As we are very soon moving to Teignmouth I really ought to get into Muse but I'm afraid it does nothing for me.
I shall persevere though  :D

port perran

Quote from: GroupC on April 05, 2024, 01:08:39 PMThe Shins, Heartworms.
I rather like The Shins.
For those who don't  know them :
https://youtu.be/c57PIoVV9Cs?si=sN9q3qp_gxDdpSNs

port perran

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 05, 2024, 11:55:02 AMI can't recall which forum member got me into these but I really like them

and

Those two bands are both new to me.
I've just listened to half an hour of each on Spotify and I'm afraid they'll both stay new.
It's a thumbs down - Sorry

port perran

Quote from: ntpntpntp on April 05, 2024, 10:08:39 AMA bit of proper Gothic Metal this morning, courtesy of NFD. Saw them some years ago and was blown away with their live show :)

[edit] Oh and some new Sweet Ermengarde too.  Saw these guys at a small gig (only about a dozen of us in the audience and most of them were members of other bands).  They still put on a great show :)

Sorry, Goth Rock leaves me waaaaaaay behind.

port perran

Well, that was a bit of a marathon catching up with all of those suggestions.
Most are not for me but then that's what music is all about.

Here's one of my favourite bands who have been around, off and on, for some 30 years.

The Bluetones, a great little indie/britpop outfit from Hounslow are, to my mind, vastly underrated.
Here's If, one of my favourite tracks. Mrs PP and I have seen The Bluetones around 7 times and this is a great finale when performed live :
https://youtu.be/_kXXRc43aLU?si=A75MmHrXOXyU3CNM

port perran

And now for a little taste of instrumental funk/jazz with The New Mastersounds

https://youtu.be/g5_YNzfavts?si=VJHngiBfd9LA2Ifd

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations