Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil of Teesside

the weekly POETS Day.

steve836

Quote from: Neil of Teesside on April 24, 2020, 06:12:45 PM
the weekly POETS Day.

Doesn't apply. Being retired I have POETT day twice a week, POETW day and POETF day so i dont bother with the two POETS days and during lock down there's  nothing to POE from.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

TrevL

So in essence POET AD (another day) :D
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

steve836

Neil of Teesside

Quote from: steve836 on April 24, 2020, 07:31:20 PM
Quote from: Neil of Teesside on April 24, 2020, 06:12:45 PM
the weekly POETS Day.

Doesn't apply. Being retired I have POETT day twice a week, POETW day and POETF day so i dont bother with the two POETS days and during lock down there's  nothing to POE from.

Even though there's a lock down in place there are plenty of us still working at home in both the private and public sector.

steve836

I know, I was speaking from a personal perspective

Bealman

Our Anzac Day with a difference has at least been blessed with good weather - beautiful blue skies, 30 degrees in the back yard. Even though we can't go far, we can venture out the back.

Here's a one for those with good eyesight:

A close inspection of the centre of the photograph will reveal a huge spider web spanning the footpath. I'm not normally up early enough to spot stuff like this, but having got up for the dawn services, there it was.

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or the unhappy thread, 'cos knowing me, I'll forget about it and walk headlong into it!  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Holy Arachnid, we get some big webs in Japan but the spiders usually have the decency to build them high up spanning trees over forest paths.

Bealman

I'm your friendly neighborhood Spider Man, didn't you know.  ;D

Trainfish

Quote from: Bealman on April 25, 2020, 09:02:24 AM
I'm your friendly neighborhood Spider Man, didn't you know.  ;D

I knew I'd seen you somewhere before George..................

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

The Q

With lethality of most wildlife out there,  I'd stay a long way from that web...

Bealman

Especially for squiddy and other spiderfans:

You have to admire their skills, though. Not only do they spin these amazing webs, but they're cunning little buggers. Well, some aren't so little, although small does not necessarily mean less dangerous, either!

They manage to incorporate a dead leaf into their engineering endeavours, which they then curl up into a cylinder to hide in. They then pounce out onto any unsuspecting critter that blunders into the web.

However, Bealman woke up to that many years ago, and a quick blast of insecticide, and... there he/she goes, scuttling for higher ground, in this case the guttering....

Here's another, nearby, with another quick blast.... and there is the beasty, below the leaf:

The Bealettes get pooey with me for doing this, but I've been in hospital with two spider bites in the time I've lived here, and as far as I'm concerned I'll be looking after #1 thank you. Some bites, such as the one I got from a wolf spider, while not fatal, take years to heal as they have a habit of breaking out into ulcers every few months. All spiders have 8 legs. I'll shoot first and ask questions later.  :)

Plus, as you can imagine, walking slap bang into one of those webs face on is, well, a sticky experience.

Graham

Hear Hear for the insecticide spray, i do the same.

Bealman

Well yes, and hopefully without raising the wrath of the animal liberationists (mind you, it's impossible not to), if you didn't use household sprays, your household would, well, be inundated in the beasties (and  not just spideys either, as you and I both know).  ;)

I've related this story many times now on this forum, but I've never forgotten the day my Flying Scotsman emerged from Dunmail Raise tunnel on my layout, carrying a huge stowaway on the front!

steve836

Glad I live on the top side where spiders are friendly.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations