Battery vacuum cleaner required.

Started by emjaybee, September 16, 2019, 11:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

No, not that big.

I'm looking for a handy battery/rechargeable vacuum for cleaning around the workspace. I want enough suction to lift dust and debris, but not so much that I need to nail wagns down.

Any recommendations would be greatfully received.

:wave:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Webbo

Here is one type you might consider. I had one of these for 6 or so years before the battery failed and have replaced it with the one shown in the EBay ad as follows. Works a treat.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BLACK-DECKER-PV1820L-XE-Lithium-Pivot-Dustbuster-Cordless-Hand-Vacuum-Cleaner/283337627918

I'm not suggesting that you buy from the EBay seller I've shown, but the ad does show the model and provides a description.

Webbo

The Q

I bought one from amazon, just using the Star recommendations, after checking it was / rechargable and had a suitable nozel for what I wanted. 
So far I've been very happy with it. It's just for hovering up static grass to reuse. I  use the club one (very similar ) for dirt and dust and that takes a hammering. But it is ok if left on charge when not in use..

Chuffington

The Ryobi 18v ONE+ system has a vacuum cleaner in the range.
I have several of the power tools in this range and the batteries can be used across the range.
Well worth checking out.

Bealman

I use this thing from a local K-Mart store.

The suction is crap, but at least it doesn't suck all the scenery up!!

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

chrism

I've no idea what the brand is, nor from where I bought it, but the one I use was originally sold as a computer keyboard vacuum.
It happily lifts all the loose muck, including unstuck flock, ballast, etc but leaves everything that is (or should be, stuck down well alone. It's only got a small collection chamber so if I suddenly realise that it's picked up something that I didn't intend there's not much to sift through to find it  :)

Bealman

I actually think one of those keyboard vacuums might be the real solution.  :beers:

emjaybee

Quote from: chrism on September 17, 2019, 10:46:06 AM
I've no idea what the brand is, nor from where I bought it, but the one I use was originally sold as a computer keyboard vacuum.
It happily lifts all the loose muck, including unstuck flock, ballast, etc but leaves everything that is (or should be, stuck down well alone. It's only got a small collection chamber so if I suddenly realise that it's picked up something that I didn't intend there's not much to sift through to find it  :)

Any chance of a pic? Sounds like a solution.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

jthjth

After many attempts at trying to find a satisfactory battery cleaner I tried this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006MVR2X4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
which is an adaptor from a real vacuum cleaner. It adapts down to a thin tube and has a set of small brushes. I find it a much better solution. I keep an old cleaner in the railway room (or you could get a cheap mains cleaner from Wilko for around £30-40) and use its normal tools for cleaning up the floor etc. The small tool set is great for cleaning the layout, especially when I'm applying scenic. The bit that reduces from the standard pipe to the smaller one has a bypass, so only a proportion of the suck goes down the small tube.

RailGooner

Quote from: jthjth on September 17, 2019, 11:11:27 AM
After many attempts at trying to find a satisfactory battery cleaner I tried this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006MVR2X4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

Thanks, that'll do for me - I much prefer additions to increase the versatility of an existing tool, rather than additional tools! :beers:

LASteve

Quote from: Webbo on September 17, 2019, 12:20:50 AM
Here is one type you might consider ....
Webbo

Seconded. I use the B&D rechargeable Dustbuster, if you do suck something up by mistake it's easy to retrieve, the collection chamber is not large and it's made from transparent material so it's easy to find what you're looking for. It charges quickly and has decent suction.

Newportnobby

Quote from: RailGooner on September 17, 2019, 01:05:09 PM
Quote from: jthjth on September 17, 2019, 11:11:27 AM

Thanks, that'll do for me - I much prefer additions to increase the versatility of an existing tool, rather than additional tools! :beers:

I wouldn't want add ons to my main vacuum cleaner as it would be too strong so have a Russell Hobbs rechargeable similar to the Dustbuster.
The crevice tool is very handy (ahem)

Bealman

Glad to hear it gets into tight crevices.  :D

Unfortunately I had a station master waving a flag at Castle Eden who was a gift (yes, a little figure with a flag), and I was very fond of him.

Knowing he was tucked in there waving his flag was satisfying to me.

Unfortunately, he's gone, and I blame the battery vacuum.

:'(

Bealman

And no, I'm not weird, even if that sounds like I am  :beers:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82%