!!

Have You Registered?

Welcome to the N Gauge Forum!  We've currently hidden most of the threads due to the vast number of guests contributing in slowing the speed of the forum down.  Please register and login to see the many thousands of posts about our great hobby.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  

Thanks for reading,
'Tank' and The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.  (Read 91200 times)

Offline Woodenhead

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.
« Reply #450 on: October 03, 2021, 05:27:37 PM »
I started in 009, moved to 00 and sold everything to go to N gauge in the late 80s - bad choice as Farish at their worst then.  Eventually sold that, got married had kids etc and somewhere in that time Dapol launched it's N gauge range and I was back.

Several restarts over the years at building a layout but wasn't until 2014 I had a layout in a room that I could play with by which time I had too much stock muddled over regions and eras.  Somewhere in the recent past Kernow brought out the Well Tank and the 02, couldn't resist them and for a few years I swapped to 00, all the N went back into their boxes.  Then I had to move rooms and despite having more space I needed to build something smaller again because it was now also my office so the N gauge came back and a sale of some of the OO stuff and older non dcc N gauge allowed me to convert over to DCC and sound which is where I am now.

I must admit in all this time I have always found it easier to sell my OO stock than any of my N gauge, I hold greater affection for my N models even though sometimes they can be a PITA to run.  So at the moment, it is blue diesels, a terminus station in the North West and a bunch of steam engines waiting for their chance on this layout.

Offline JanW

• Awards
« Reply #451 on: October 03, 2021, 09:43:46 PM »
I got a Fleischmann H0 trainset for my third birthday and I have modelled in this scale until a collegue gave me a box of Minitrix stuff (and a Roco diesel) that he never used.
I thought that it would be nice to build a small n gauge layout for my son who was eight tears old then.
He played with it but the size of the models intrigued me.
At the time I had a lot of Dutch H0 stock but I was also very interested in British steam era layouts.
To test this N gauge stock (my son only had the Minitrix 0-6-0 tank and a worn out Roco diesel) I bought a Kato 2-8-0 loco and I was sold. It ran beautifully!
(Of course there was no British N gauge model to be found in my local model shop..)
So a Dapol 14xx with autocoach was ordered and I put it on my sons layout for running in.
It worked OK and I let it run in while getting some coffee downstairs.
When I got back the 14xx had stopped but the motor was still running. There was a burr on the worm which had stripped all teeth from the gear...
That was about twelve years ago. I gave away most of my H0 stock and the rest is stowed away.
I have a N gauge GWR terminus layout (Blagdon station) which still needs scenery added and I'm building a small 2mm scale cameo layout. This has to be finished next june so I can take it to the diamond jubilee of the 2mm scale association.

I just realised that the 14xx has never been repaired. I built a new chassis for it but before it was finished I decided I wanted to model in 2mm scale. Other projects came first and it is stowed away without a working chassis.
It will be fixed as soon as my little cameo layout is ready. I think....

Jan
Jan

Offline Brian taylor

• Awards
« Reply #452 on: November 20, 2021, 02:00:14 PM »
I have been in the tabletop wargaming hobby for years and built a number of boards to play on, as time went on I found I really enjoyed that aspect of the hobby and slowly came to the decision to try my hand at a scenic layout as opposed to a playing board.
Am just getting started but chose N gauge as I have always liked the idea of really big setups, I am the same with wargaming, was always into big battles rather than the more traditional skirmish-based games.
I have a 12ft by 5ft space to build on so am really enjoy the idea of what I can build on that in N gauge.

Offline mca0004

• N Gauge Society Number: 30368
    • Awards
« Reply #453 on: April 06, 2022, 09:13:26 AM »
I used to model OO gauge, but switch to N about 2018ish.

I've always loved model railways, but never had enough money (or sense) to do much. It wasn't until I joined my club a few years ago I began to take it more seriouly.

My main reason for switiching from OO to N was, like many people, space. You can do a whole lot more in N than in OO. The space I have for my layout couldn't really fit anything good if it was a larger scale, but thanks to N, I can have a layout with shunting and a loop!

I'll always get amazed when I take a look at my old OO stock, because I'll think "Wow, that's so big", and then remember when I first got them and thought they were so small!

I'm also lucky that my two favourite locos, the Class 17 and Class 28 are both being sold right now, very good that.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Up we go, oh yeah!
    • Awards
« Reply #454 on: April 06, 2022, 09:23:57 AM »
What amazes me about OO models, apart from their size, is how plasticy and toylike they look.

I don't mean that as an insult to the OO community, it's just what I think.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: Lapsed
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #455 on: April 06, 2022, 09:29:12 AM »
What amazes me about OO models, apart from their size, is how plasticy and toylike they look.

That's because a lot of them are very toylike indeed :(

But things are changing: https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/first-class-37-decorated-sample-revealed

:admiration: :admiration: :admiration:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Up we go, oh yeah!
    • Awards
« Reply #456 on: April 06, 2022, 09:36:14 AM »
That does look pretty cool, but I'm sorry, the metal that the real thing is made out of, still looks like plastic!

Just me entrenched in N gauge, I suppose.

Sorry!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Catsick

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #457 on: July 08, 2022, 11:52:05 AM »
I started in the hope it'd take up less space..... well the layout does but the rolling stock collection doesn't lol
You don't know what you can do what you can't

Offline Foonting

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #458 on: July 08, 2022, 04:38:15 PM »
Initially because of space - I wanted to model 'Bembridge' 100% to scale without compressing anything track plan wise. Then when I got my first N gauge loco I fell in love with how detailed and yet tiny it was. Will I stick with N after I complete Bembridge ... well that's going to take some time as just the station building has taken me 8 weeks ... but I fancy giving 'Cowes' a crack after that ... and that's be WAY too big for my flat in OO  :D

Offline Timbo66

• Awards
« Reply #459 on: August 06, 2022, 06:57:32 PM »
There`s something I really like about how N gauge looks. OO seems toy like. I`d like an O gauge layout as well...
And space!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal