Are you a builder or operator?

Started by D1042 Western Princess, June 16, 2015, 02:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tidbury

Each to thier own I don't like the idea of running to a timetable I just select a train and run it as I just love to see them running through the countryside .
I love doing the scenery but can't build a building to save my life .
I love the wiring although I probable overkill with wires.
I don't stick to one era or have Locos from only one area but I try to run the right Locos with the right stock but you might see a voyager in one direction and the Brighton Belle or a steam hauled passenger or frieght going the other way.
I'm definitely a rule one man.But I love my N gauge world.Its the only time I'm in total control I AM THE BOSS.
Bob

Sprintex

Love the anticipation of planning, the technical challenges of building, and the sheer childish pleasure of running trains :) Timetables and strict "real world" operational rules would take all the fun out of it for me!

Paul

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Sprintex on June 16, 2015, 08:13:31 PM
Love the anticipation of planning, the technical challenges of building, and the sheer childish pleasure of running trains :) Timetables and strict "real world" operational rules would take all the fun out of it for me!

Paul

I suppose my attitude to model railways owes much to having been a professional railwayman (Guard) for nearly 30 years - not running to the rule book, so far as I can, would be 'strange' to me.
But I do understand those who just 'run trains for fun', and there are times even I go insane  :confused1: and break my own 'rules', for example putting a Class 08 on a Paddington bound express. ::) Er, 'alf a mo, wasn't that done in real life about 5 or 6 years ago when an 08 hauled a Class One (the Down Sleepers if I'm right) from Paddington because no other loco was available? :-[
Thanks to everyone, so far, who has taken the trouble to reply.
I look forward to reading the thoughts of many more of you.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

PostModN66

Quote from: newportnobby on June 16, 2015, 04:31:14 PM
I guess I'm a bit anal in that I do not and will not employ Rule 1.

I'm afraid Mick that if you are running period and location correct stock because you want to (rather than because of intimidation, blackmail or hypnotism) you are fully and profoundly employing rule 1!

It's your railway and you are running what you want!

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Newportnobby

Quote from: PostModN66 on June 16, 2015, 09:49:43 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on June 16, 2015, 04:31:14 PM
I guess I'm a bit anal in that I do not and will not employ Rule 1.

I'm afraid Mick that if you are running period and location correct stock because you want to (rather than because of intimidation, blackmail or hypnotism) you are fully and profoundly employing rule 1!

It's your railway and you are running what you want!

Cheers  Jon  :)

Thanks, Jon. It's good to know that I'm not a bit anal, after all :D
My interpretation of Rule 1 must be slightly different to the rest in that I mean I will not just run anything (apart from which I have no interest in railways of other countries so have no foreign stock).
As for intimidation, blackmail or hypnotism.........how come you know so much about my ex? :laugh:

Agrippa

I am not a number , I am a free man.................
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Adrian

For me, creating in 2mm is a whole series of challenges I've never encountered before.
Working through them is very rewarding and seeing the trains run is the icing on the cake.

This then leads to new operational challenges which themselves demand attention.

Then, if something needs to be altered, it's back to the first set of challenges - and so it goes on ........

And long may it do so - encouraged/ supported by all the experiences shared here on the Forum
Adrian

JasonBz

I'm definitely a bit of both - I very much like the making things aspect, but I also like to "play trains" in a rule-book friendly fashion.

The main appeal of N Gauge to me is that I can run trains, of an appropriate length, that actually go from one place to another, and pass through a reasonable representation of the environment they are supposed to be in.
Im not a "Rule #1" sort though, if it didn't run in the prototype area, it wont be seen on the layout, I dont even like to mix eras with the stock too much.I like class 50s and class 22 / D6300 locomotives but they wont be seen on the layout together.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: JasonBz on June 28, 2015, 12:22:16 AM

I like class 50s and class 22 / D6300 locomotives but they wont be seen on the layout together.

That's sad Jason - a D63XX hauling a 'dead' 50 would be a bit of a laugh and undoubtedly would have happened in real life if the '22s' had lived a natural lifespan  :laugh:.

Best wishes,
Greg.

Stevie DC

Definitely builder at the moment but only as I don't have a working layout (or anything resembling a complete one!). Like Mike, I'm modelling the 1930's but the LNER 'Southern Sector' so there is quite a bit of designing and building required - there are only 3 suitable locomotives available from Dapol and Farish to modern standards! As for 'Rule 1', although my layout will be firmly set in GNR territory I'm happy to run GCR, GER and some NER locos as research shows that quite a few of these company's locos were frequent visitors to the GNRs part of the ECML. I'm also happy to have a few out of period locomotives as well, such as a D2 in pre 1928 green livery and a V4 (built 1941) - I might even stretch to a Castle to represent the 1925 exchange trials between the LNER and GWR!

As I only get to 'play trains' on certain exhibition layouts from time to time, I would really say that, at the moment at least, I'm a researcher and builder.

Bealman

Model railways to me are model railways, but I must admit I've always been impressed with the way the Americans run their huge layouts with various operators playing the roles of driver, dispatcher, etc.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

rhysapthomas

A builder I think I enjoy building anything really.  I like to watch the trains go round but I can't imagine me running a timetable but you never know I did start to enjoy shunting a bit  :help:

Ollie3440

Morning all,

I think I'd have to put myself in the builder group. I really enjoy building the layout, so much so that I'm currently building one for someone else! Don't get me wrong, I do like to have an operating session now and then but this tends to be at an exhibition. Aside from pre-show tests this is about all the operating Sheaf gets in a year, after 6/7 hours solid operating at some shows I need a break!

Cheers,

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Bealman on June 28, 2015, 10:18:15 AM
Model railways to me are model railways, but I must admit I've always been impressed with the way the Americans run their huge layouts with various operators playing the roles of driver, dispatcher, etc.

:) I'm always impressed by the sheer amount of room the Americans have in which to build their layouts!

d-a-n

Isn't it great to see how much this hobby gives in all different ways?
I'm currently an operator. I love to watch the trains go round and round! I'd like to make a small ultra-detailed scenic section to pose locos/trains in for photos but couldn't do it for a whole layout.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations