Ten years of 3D printing - we have come a long way

Started by Snowwolflair, May 26, 2020, 01:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

By chance I took this photo this morning showing my first 3D body shell and a state of the art equivalent.  the left hand model was one of the first listed on Shapeways, and was a downloadable stl file something no longer supported I believe, and was printed on my first UV printer with a 4 by 5cm build plate which had a resolution of 5% of what we now take for granted.  You will also note the early print was a 1:160 scale model and at that time I could not afford a CAD capable of changing the scale. I hope we get a similar magnitude of improvement over the next ten years.

njee20

This was better in N gauge discussion. Constantly moving topics like these to their respective "niche" sub-forums means they're not seen by a wider audience. For me this is a general commentary on the progress we've made. Just as I wouldn't expect a thread on a newly tooled model versus an original to be moved to that manufacturer's sub-forum this is literally N gauge discussion IMO.

It is interesting to see. SketchUp was free 10 years ago (and IMO more accessible as it was still owned by Google then), so there were easily accessible programmes available for rescaling, but interesting nonetheless.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: njee20 on May 26, 2020, 06:40:58 PM
This was better in N gauge discussion. Constantly moving topics like these to their respective "niche" sub-forums means they're not seen by a wider audience. For me this is a general commentary on the progress we've made. Just as I wouldn't expect a thread on a newly tooled model versus an original to be moved to that manufacturer's sub-forum this is literally N gauge discussion IMO.

It is interesting to see. SketchUp was free 10 years ago (and IMO more accessible as it was still owned by Google then), so there were easily accessible programmes available for rescaling, but interesting nonetheless.

We are back, thanks

njee20

How have you glazed the one on the right? Looks very good, none of the prismatic effect of the 'old' one which I assume is Glue N Glaze or similar?

Snowwolflair

I use the plastic covers that printers use for spiral bind books.  The plastic is soft so can be curved without blooming.  I glue it in with Unibond Tough Repair glue that dries like the glue from a heat gun and can be peeled away if it leaks.

njee20

Good tip. I've yet to print anything that requires glazing, but it does look good.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations