Covid 19 Isolation advice

Started by Railwaygun, March 19, 2020, 03:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Just got back from a raid on Tesco and Lidl, got most of what I wanted, had to get a 4pt and 2pt milk as they had no 6pt. Strange, some aisles empty of stock, others bulging no apparent logic to quite a bit of it. Didn't bother with an early start, too fond of brekky, then have to check emails and forums, so left here about 10:45

Had to chuckle though, Tesco were limiting customers to 3 of an item, not a problem with the little pots of steamed puds, sticky toffee, golden syrup etc, OK sir they're different flavours; whilst at next checkout ssome wench wanted about a dozen bottles of wine, no more than 3 of any variety, tough, 3 bottles of wine, no matter what variety. Lidl less empty shelves, except bog rolls.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Trainfish

I ventured into town yesterday on market day with the wife. It was easy to park at about 11:45 but there was only half the number of stalls compared to usual. Of course Gerry was there selling his excellent sausages and that was all I needed. Then went to Iceland, a few empty shelves but not too many. Majestic had plenty of beer, that's me happy with a few new ones to try. Then Morrisons. 12:45 I picked up my prescriptions in less than 10 minutes which is incredibly quick for that place. Bought a few things there. No toilet rolls, limited amount of bread but reasonable stock of everything else. Heard later that it was manic when it first opened so the lesson to be learned is NOT to go early in my opinion. Ok so you may not get exactly what you want but there are alternatives to bread and pizza you know. Another tip, look right at the back of the bottom shelves in the meat department. They're so deep you can't see back there. I found about 6 packs of mince there. Wifey wanted 3, old couple near us wanted 1, so I pulled them all to the front to help them out. Beer stocks were quite good although drain cleaner (lager) was pretty much sold out.

The moral of this story is that man can live on sausages and beer. You don't need anything else! Maybe a toilet roll or 2 would be good though.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

railsquid

There is hope, the toilet paper'n'tissue aisle in my local supermarket here in Tokyo last week:

This week:

(We are about 3 weeks ahead of the global toilet paper depletion cycle)

tutenkhamunsleeping

port perran

We've been going to our local Morrisons and Lidll earlyish (about 8.15am) and both, though busier than normal at that time, were not too bad.
Having said that, we have a good number of supermarkets in a relatively small area. They are there to cope with the holidaymakers of which currently there are few.
Also Morrisons have a demographic that is much higher than the likes of Asda and Tesco which have, I'm led to believe, have been much busier locally.
Failing all else, our village shop is well stocked and is an easy source of bread, milk and other essentials.

Popped to Hobbycraft on the outskirts of Truro this afternoon for URGENT supplies of modelling paint of which there was no shortage.
Whilst there we popped into Waitrose which is opposite. Just to pick up some coconut milk which we forgot this morning.
They weren't overly busy either.

Who knows what will happen in the coming weeks though.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Alan Kyte

No tea bags in my local Tesco so its getting serious now :)
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

EtchedPixels

@port perran Also you are in Cornwall, so everyone has read about the toiler paper shortage and will get around to buying extra dreckly...

For those who don't know a Cornish friend described 'dreckly' (aka directly) as "like mañana but without the terrible sense of urgency"

So far the fact we have a milk/stuff delivery service appears to be working out for the good, other than having to be careful with the outside of just delivered glass bottles. They can also supply tea bags, cheese and other stuff if we need it.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Trainfish

Quote from: EtchedPixels on March 20, 2020, 02:46:59 PM
.......... having to be careful with the outside of just delivered glass bottles.

This has also concerned me at times so I make sure I have plenty indoors so the new ones can stay outside for a while and I can drink the others first  :beers:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

trkilliman

Port Perran,

You are indeed well served with Supermarkets locally.
Hobbycraft and Waitrose in Truro, two of our favourite places to drop in on (in normal times).

I can only imagine that Cornwall will be pretty void of tourists this Summer. A fair old whack of the local GDP/income comes from tourism. Cornwall Council rakes it in from their (ever spiralling) car parking charges, but will take a hit this year.

Our daughter said that many of the shops in Falmouth had decided it was not worth opening up, cafe's and take-aways being the first to do so.
With our health issues we have been in self imposed lock down for the last week. Still, I have a number of woodwork and gardening projects to catch up with, and of course some modelling...probably more modelling!

I imagine many if not most of us have un-started or part built projects to fall back on?  Perhaps some of those models you couldn't be that bothered to start will suddenly take on a new light.

Take care everyone, and if you can then adopt the Hermit mode where practical.

grumbeast

Here on the left hand coast of Canada, we've got mixed panic buying, but there's still plenty on shelves. TP is the exception though I went to a local pharmacy to get a prescription yesterday and they had a ton of the stuff, people just have to calm the heck down.

our social distancing seems to have caught on, honestly I love it, don't like people at the best of times and now they're avoiding me too! We're luckier than most as I can work from home easily, my wife works from home all the time and its spring break for my daughter and she is homeschooled with all online courses so its really no different for us than normal.

I have to admit though, giving kids a schedule really helps, Miranda did hers herself and she's sticking to it really well (she's a dancer though so used to discipline, she got herself up at 6:40 this morning and went straight out to her studio to do an hours warm up!.. geez why wasnt I that dedicated when I was a kid!)

G.

port perran

Quote from: trkilliman on March 20, 2020, 03:40:37 PM
Port Perran,

Hobbycraft and Waitrose in Truro, two of our favourite places to drop in on (in normal times).

Steve,just in case you did make it to Hobbycraft, they,ve moved all the modelling tools and paint upstairs.
Martin
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Trainfish

Quote from: port perran on March 20, 2020, 06:18:23 PM
Quote from: trkilliman on March 20, 2020, 03:40:37 PM
Port Perran,

Steve,just in case you did make it to Hobbycraft, they,ve moved all the modelling tools and paint upstairs.
Martin

Unless you're in Swinedon
John

<*))))><

joe cassidy

Now is the time to experiment with growing a beard or moustache, or a new hairstyle  :)

Bob Tidbury

My wife has the answer we should all have been wearing Yashmaks not sure of the spelling .Then we would all have been safe .And no one would know who we are would look weird at the annual photo shoot at TINGS though.
Bob Tidbury

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations