Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

I know the feeling well Bob - see my post in 'Angry' thread on 19th March.  As I said in that post, I have to compliment the Bank on how quick they picked it up. Within 90 minutes of the 4 fraudulent transactions, they were trying to contact me. One of the transactions has already been returned to my account and I received the new PIN today. Unfortunately, the card has not arrived yet, so can not use it at Ally Pally on Sunday!  :(

@austinbob
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Papyrus

My wife's account was hacked a few months ago and her bank warned us very quickly. We were very impressed by the service. What I don't understand though is how the hackers did it because she hardly uses her account. She pays with everything either with her credit card or my account!!

Cheers,

Chris

The Q

Quote from: Papyrus on March 23, 2018, 08:56:12 PM
My wife's account was hacked a few months ago and her bank warned us very quickly. We were very impressed by the service. What I don't understand though is how the hackers did it because she hardly uses her account. She pays with everything either with her credit card or my account!!

Cheers,

Chris
On one of the two occasions this happened to me, I was told I had authorized a change to the account online. I pointed out that this account I had specifically asked for it to be blocked from all  internet and phone changes. To which they finally agreed it had been done. So the only way for it to register an online account change was an inside job,

At which point I was given a reference number for the police. My account was sorted, and it all went very quiet from the bank.

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on March 23, 2018, 07:38:14 PM
Credit card hacked. :'( Three dodgy transactions. Reported 1st one 3 days ago. Bank put watch on account and two more dodgy transactions today reported by bank. Both blocked awaiting my approval.
Original transaction will be refunded and new card issued.
Not good but impressed the way bank sorted it quickly and without question.
Got to go through hassle of updating online accounts now.
:hmmm:
Just noticed that the day my credit card was hacked was also the day I signed up to Facebook. Coincidence??
:hmmm:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

EtchedPixels

Alas poor acoustic guitar

It's now reached the point where even without string tension the wood on the body and neck is too distorted to fix (and the bridge has been held on with boatbuilders glue for some time - good stuff boatbuilders glue). It's something like third hand but it's still sad to see it go.

Feels like it ought to get a proper funeral pyre.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bealman

You could do what Jimi Hendrix did, squirt lighter fluid all over it and set fire to it  8)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Malc

Quote from: EtchedPixels on March 25, 2018, 11:38:24 PM
Alas poor acoustic guitar

It's now reached the point where even without string tension the wood on the body and neck is too distorted to fix (and the bridge has been held on with boatbuilders glue for some time - good stuff boatbuilders glue). It's something like third hand but it's still sad to see it go.

Feels like it ought to get a proper funeral pyre.

Alan

I take it that there isn't a truss rod in the neck?  I assume that string tension has pulled the neck out of true? Prop the head and body on a couple of bricks and hang a heavy bag of wet sand over the neck. It ruins the varnish, but could give you a bit more life from it.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

red_death

Quote from: austinbob on March 24, 2018, 10:02:59 AM
Just noticed that the day my credit card was hacked was also the day I signed up to Facebook. Coincidence??

Yes - how could signing up for Facebook lead to your card being hacked? Unless you posted all your card details on Facebook in a post I fail to see the link.

njee20

Got to agree with Mike there! They may be the subject of the current "data breach du jour", but that's a bit of a stretch!

austinbob

Quote from: red_death on March 26, 2018, 03:23:49 PM
Quote from: austinbob on March 24, 2018, 10:02:59 AM

Yes - how could signing up for Facebook lead to your card being hacked? Unless you posted all your card details on Facebook in a post I fail to see the link.
That's cos there's no link!! But twas a coincidence though.  :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

red_death

Apologies Bob - I took your post possibly too literally! 

There is so much huff and puff about the evils of Facebook and so much myth spread that I think people need to understand the real risks.

Being overcautious on the web limits your ability to take full advantage of all the benefits (of which there are many) of the web.  Still better to be slightly overcautious that not cautious enough!

Cheers, Mike

Yet_Another

I'm thinking that it's quite possible that there are databases of card details out there, just waiting for the right personal details to be exposed.

I'm sure that many will have seen the Barclays advert where the fraudster integrates multiple data sources to gather enough info on a young woman to be able to impersonate her online.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

RailGooner

Almost certainly Tony.

austinbob

Just been fitting Seep point motors. Three fitted and working no problem. Fourth - poked operating rod through point actuator (SL-E389F) and point just fell apart. Actuator arm and one of the point blades just dropped off WHAT!!  :veryangry:
Now I've got to buy a new one and lift a couple of lengths of track (with lots of isolating sections already wired up of course!!) and replace the point.
Two steps forward and one step back as usual.
:'( :'(

Bob Austin

Papyrus

After spring teased us with a few days of warmer weather, winter has come back to bite us on the  :censored: . So what happens? Our central heating boiler chooses this weekend (Friday evening, natch) to have a sulk and refuse to light. :'(

Thank goodness for a gas fire, an oil-filled electric radiator and an emotion heater.

More expense.

Cheers,

Chris

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations