heljan u1 garratt in 00

Started by Bigmac, November 17, 2023, 07:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmac

i'm pleased to see a major manufacturer is taking a chance producing such a niche model--albeit for 00 gauge.

Maybe they could be tempted into n gauge...
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Roy L S

Quote from: Bigmac on November 17, 2023, 07:32:25 PMi'm pleased to see a major manufacturer is taking a chance producing such a niche model--albeit for 00 gauge.

Maybe they could be tempted into n gauge...

It is interesting and surprising to see this model planned for OO and probably reflects that in this scale the manufacturers are running out of more mainstream locos to produce. I am sure it will appeal sufficiently to the much larger (than N) OO collectors' market in particular to be viable.

However sadly, even though N would seem a much better scale to exploit the loco's ability to hail massive trains, I think it must be concluded that if Hattons couldn't (apparently) get enough interest to proceed with the more numerous LMS Garratt prototype as a RTR in N, this one has very little chance. Also worth mentioning that Heljan have repeatedly said that they are not interested in entering the British N market so the chances of them doing either one would be pretty much zero.

Roy

gc4946

Last Saturday I saw a OO gauge kitbuilt U1 69999 on the Wentworth Junction layout at the Barnsley Model Railway Club's show at Hoyland.
It spent its life banking loaded coal trains between Wentworth Junction and West Silkstone Junction near Penistone although it was unsuccessfully tried on the Lickey incline.
Good on Heljan to offer it in OO but zilch chance for one in N even if the collecting fraternity was interested.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Papyrus

For those of you who don't know what is being discussed, here is a video of the real thing:

...and the history thereof:

https://www.lner.info/locos/U/u1.php

Less well known than the LMS Garratts but still interesting.

Cheers,

Chris

Bealman

Yes, that Hattons project fizzed before it even got started, unfortunately. Bit of a shame that. I was definitely interested.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations