Chocolate

Started by cornish yorkie, November 05, 2023, 10:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornish yorkie

:hellosign:
  My good lady posed an interesting question this evening. Does Cadbury chocolate taste the same in Australia ?
 I await any replies  :thankyousign:
  stay safe regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

emjaybee

Quote from: cornish yorkie on November 05, 2023, 10:23:27 PM:hellosign:
  My good lady posed an interesting question this evening. Does Cadbury chocolate taste the same in Australia ?
 I await any replies  :thankyousign:
  stay safe regards Derek

Hmm, that's a tricky one.

I am VERY familiar with the UK Dairy Milk. I know it's a burden, but I'm prepared to take one for the 'team', if you can send me a PM with the details of the return ticket to Sydney I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

Only too happy to help.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bealman

No need to. Living in Australia, and eating a lot of the stuff, and also consuming a lot of it during my 5 weeks in England earlier this year, the answer is.....

.... Yes.

Sorry I scuppered your Sydney trip, Michael!  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

jpendle

Whatever you do, DO NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES try the American version. Nasty stuff made by Hersheys.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Bealman

Yes, on my first (and only) visit to America, I insisted on trying a Hershey bar, as they were, well, an American legend (to me, anyway).

I was rather unimpressed.

Cadburys rules ok

Platy767

A couple of positives about Cadbury. 360g Dairy Milk for $6 at Coles and Woolies.
Cadbury Marble, although a little sweeter than I like, is back.

I think the Aldi Milk and the Aldi Dark are better than Cadbury and are only $3.99 a block.
Coles has an own brand Milk, a Dark and a White for $2.30 a block which are worth trying (I like the Milk and the Dark).

Darrell Lea Rocky Road is excellent, so I'm told by SWMBO, and great value when it is sometimes 1/2 price at Coles ($2.75)

Prices in AU$ which is currently trading at 52.6p. Not all products are available at all stores. YMMV. Conditions apply.

Mark

PS. I forgot to add that when I toured the Cadbury factory in Claremont, Tasmania many years ago, I was looking for the process stage where the milk was added. The slogan being "A glass and a half of full cream milk in every block" only to be reminded by the guide that the milk was added at the dry mixing stage we had passed earlier in the tour. Yep, powdered milk.

Bealman

Ah, I grew up with Cadburys. I stick with tradition.  :thumbsup:

Cadburys in Australia was always made at a big plant at Claremont, just north of Hobart. However they transferred the operation to Victoria, which I thought was a shame.

However, they're back in Tasmania now, I'm pleased to report.

In New Zealand, the factory is in Dunedin. I've been around that one too. Yummy!

NinOz

Quote from: Platy767 on November 06, 2023, 03:47:04 AMDarrell Lea Rocky Road
Can tell you are not a local of SEQ.  It is called Rocklea Road, named after a Brisbane suburb of Rocklea.  Also a play on the family name of Lea.

For Aussies; to compare buy some import from UK from various online sellers.  My usual source for Terry's Dark Chocolate Oranges for my POM wife.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

The Q

a permitted ingredient to American Chocolate is...

Mouse and rat poo...

because their regulation is old it was before they could 100% be kept out of the factories.. so there is a max limit.

UK and Europe regulations and just say no.

emjaybee

Quote from: Bealman on November 05, 2023, 11:20:41 PMNo need to. Living in Australia, and eating a lot of the stuff, and also consuming a lot of it during my 5 weeks in England earlier this year, the answer is.....

.... Yes.

Sorry I scuppered your Sydney trip, Michael!  ;)

You can go off some people y'know George.

>:(
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

RBTKraisee

Quote from: jpendle on November 05, 2023, 11:47:17 PMWhatever you do, DO NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES try the American version. Nasty stuff made by Hersheys.

John P

Agreed!!

There is always an exception though... My local supermarket has a few bays set aside for "International Foods", and a whole bay is dedicated to British stuff because there are a lot of us Brits living in this part of Florida, and they have the REAL stuff! :D

Also chockie digestives, and Terry's chocolate oranges too. Hmmm!

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

cornish yorkie

:hellosign:  :thankyousign:
  Many many thanks for the informative & interesting replies no question that Cadburys is a favourite
  Again  :thankyousign:
  stay safe regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Newportnobby

Just to go off on a tangerine for a mo - I worked for 35 years in the flexible packaging industry which was mainly printed/coloured aluminium foil and we sold to Cadbury Bournville, Cadbury Australia and Cadbury New Zealand so I've had dealings with them all. We also sold tonnes of foil to Hershey Chocolates and I can, indeed, confirm their chocolate to be the worst I've ever tasted. If you doubt me, Tesco do sell their Peanut Butter Cups so try them :sick:
Worse, they even made 'em once with grapefruit or raspberry jello :sick:  :sick:

joe cassidy

Quote from: RBTKraisee on November 07, 2023, 06:25:37 PM
Quote from: jpendle on November 05, 2023, 11:47:17 PMWhatever you do, DO NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES try the American version. Nasty stuff made by Hersheys.

John P

Agreed!!

There is always an exception though... My local supermarket has a few bays set aside for "International Foods", and a whole bay is dedicated to British stuff because there are a lot of us Brits living in this part of Florida, and they have the REAL stuff! :D

Ross.

Do they have Marmite ? And Heinz baked beans ?

RBTKraisee

Quote from: joe cassidy on November 07, 2023, 10:16:36 PM
Quote from: RBTKraisee on November 07, 2023, 06:25:37 PM

John P

Agreed!!

Ross.

Do they have Marmite ? And Heinz baked beans ?

Yes! Both! And HP Sauce, Cadbury's Flake, Rolo's, Hobnobs, PG Tips, Tetley's. All the treats from home!

American's really get wide eyed when you offer them "spotted dick" ;)

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations