Storm Ciaran

Started by Trainfish, November 01, 2023, 10:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonglum

Probably the latter Jim, but I cannot recall ever seeing it that low before! It is not as windy here as expected (at the moment) though.

martyn

The Met Office has said that record low pressure for November was recorded at the centre of the depression; 953.3 at Plymouth, 958.5 at St Athans.

Don't know if that'll help you calibrate your barometers.

Martyn

Papyrus

We seem to have escaped the worst of it in this part of mid-Sussex. None of the trees in the wood behind us have come down. Despite our situation on top of a hill, we still managed to get a small lake in our back garden (our bedrock is Wealden clay). Oh yes, and our dustbin blew over... Our son and his family live in Hove, but we haven't had any cries for help from them so we assume they are OK.

Keep safe all.

Cheers,

Chris

Moonglum

Thank you Martyn @martyn , I think my barometer is wrong - it must be about 80 years old and a heirloom! At least the pointer is going up and down the right direction.

Cheers,

Tim

Jim Easterbrook

Calibration is best done when a slow moving high is sitting over the UK, giving very similar pressure over a large area and not changing much. Then look at your nearest official weather stations and adjust your barometer to match.

You can select official stations on this map (which includes amateur stations, including mine, by default): https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

GrahamB

In Tenterden I'm enjoying my own micro climate. I had planned to stay indoors and get on with "stuff" but, despite being between Hastings and Dover (Albeit inland), there's not been enough wind to blow the leaves off the trees and I've even managed to do a spot of gardening.

Picked my last Cucumber, pruned the roses, cut back a Clematis and admired my one remaining Holyhock stem.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

cornish yorkie

:hellosign: Martin @port perran hope no serious damage to the club house.
 Very interesting this morning on the N Cornwall coast this morning with my double decker bus at 0700, has calmed down now & actually stopped raining
  stay safe regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

port perran

Quote from: port perran on November 02, 2023, 09:59:33 AMBit of a problem at our club room caused by last night's storm?
It was pretty violent down here.

New panel fixed and good as new.
In fact there will now be a scramble to move layouts under the new panel as it's soooooo much lighter ????
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

JBQFC

here in Crawley it has been very wet and a bit windy but nothing to get excited about

John

chrism

Quote from: port perran on November 02, 2023, 04:31:12 PM
Quote from: port perran on November 02, 2023, 09:59:33 AMBit of a problem at our club room caused by last night's storm?
It was pretty violent down here.

New panel fixed and good as new.
In fact there will now be a scramble to move layouts under the new panel as it's soooooo much lighter ????

You mean that you didn't bother to clean the one next to it while you (or whover) was up there?   :D

dilflat

Meanwhile in Southampton....

And yet places either side of us got clobbered.

Very fortunate here in my area of east Berkshire; some rain and a bit blustery but just like a normal, autumn night/day.

Bealman

It actually got a column in the local rag here!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

The Q

Here in Norfolk we didn't get that much wind, but we have a lot of flooding, it's not deep but it is widespread.

I should be sailing today, but it's been cancelled, we can't get near the boats due to the floods.
According to reports it's now deeper than that photo, the big car park is flooded, as is the big supermarket,  that's the multi pitch roof building.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations