Cavalex N Gauge PGA

Started by RBE, August 25, 2021, 01:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Quote from: crepello on March 05, 2022, 05:06:12 PM
I'm glad to see there's some more interest in the Yeoman PGA. In case it's not widely known, they had a large variety of diesel haulage , so they should be very sellable.
I think they were just a bit too late for the 42, but I can think of the following in my BR Blue era:
37 (double headed)
Any others?

Bob

Steven B

Class 42 Warships were vacuum brake only so wouldn't work with PGA hoppers.

You can add class 50s to the list
http://www.dawlishtrains.com/uploads/7/2/2/3/7223531/4033686_orig.jpg

Class 33s worked Yeoman tippler type bogie wagons, so may have also been found on hoppers.

Steven B

TomE

I had the opportunity to look over the production samples for the Cavalex PGA this weekend and have to say I think these will be up there with the best of N Gauge rolling stock, they are really quite exquisite models!

There are some photos of the models on NGN here: https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/close-up-cavalex-n-gauge-pga-hopper-wagon-production-samples

If these do well for Cavalex, and there is no reason they shouldn't, then they are very keen to produce more N Gauge which would be a very welcome development for the scale!

Tom.

woodbury22uk

They do look good. I had forgotten about the grey stripe which was added to improve the appearance after using terminals where the wagons are moved through the unloading point by large rubber tyred wheels which grip the vertical faces of hopper sides.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

njee20

Lovely fine ladders. No use for these, but great to see, and I may pick up a couple to support Cavalex.

GlenEglise

I'm not sure if any of these would have passed north of the central belt in Scotland so I think it is a miss for me.

GE

Spanners70

Finally got my rake of 18. Lovely little wagons BUT what awful couplings. The rake constantly separate at random positions, and eveyr point they reach the wagons all derail, looks like the couplings hang too low so the lowest part of the coupling lifts the wagons as they go over the points and throws them off the rails. Not really sure how to sort the issue at all, assume I will have to use an alternative coupling and replace the lot. Anyone else received there's and had any issues with them ?

Steven B

If the peg hanging down from the coupling is below rail level then it's simple enough to cut it shorter with a pair of wire cutters.

Not that you should need to....

SB

Spanners70

At £30 a wagon bit reluctant to take cutters to them...must be better solution ? Have to await a reply from cavalax via there website

nobby

Finally got to use my set of 12. Tried to change the standard couplings and found that although these are nem pockets , they dont move that freely or smoothly i can not get either my dapol    Couplings or my ridge bars to fit. I will try a few more options otherwise i will have to send them back. After waiting for years actually quite disappointed tbh , shame because the wagon is very nice

Spanners70

Surprised there's no chat about these fantastic wagons but awful couplings

Bob G

They are a bit niche. Now if they had done Yeoman PGAs...

nobby

after trying a few more options for the couplings i have admitted defeat and have decided to return the wagons, i also noticed that i cannot add the pipework in the little bags to the wagons as the coupling hook for the real wagon is of to one side on all my 4 packs yet the picture on the box and the pre samples show in the correct position. something is not right here either.
and the last thing none were offered as a weathered option at pre order and rails are now offering them as weathered finish.
the actual wagon is really nice , its a shame but i wanted these to mix in and without changing the couplings i cannot use for them for what i intended.
nobby

Bob G

Quote from: nobby on November 13, 2023, 02:42:12 PM...Rails are now offering them as weathered finish.

nobby

So are TMC, and they look very similar. This only goes to confirm my original belief that Rails's weathering is actually done by TMC (and good it is too).

Bob

gram

Quote from: nobby on November 13, 2023, 02:42:12 PMi also noticed that i cannot add the pipework in the little bags to the wagons as the coupling hook for the real wagon is of to one side on all my 4 packs yet the picture on the box and the pre samples show in the correct position

I'd had mine for a few days before I noticed, but yes, same here.

And also in the pictures posted above, have they all been done like that?

Bit of a shame, but beautiful models, hope Cavalex can do more N gauge.

Graham

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations