N gauge Forum access slowing down

Started by austinbob, November 03, 2014, 06:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Lawrence on December 05, 2014, 10:29:55 AM
Perhaps hosting all the media files is causing issues?

No, it is taking up a lot of room, but wouldn't cause the issues we have regarding load speeds.

Quote from: jonclox on December 05, 2014, 02:25:09 PM
Those must certainly put a strain on the on the allocated bandwidth that the forum is entitled to.

Although it would do, we're on an unlimited bandwidth package now thankfully.  :)

Quote from: Oldun on December 05, 2014, 04:41:59 PM
Don't know if its any help but, the Series 2 Club forum uses -

Powered by SMF 1.1.9 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines LLC

This gives instant access for logging on/in and going round the various posts.

Is there much difference between the above and the one we/you use -

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

Roger

The SMF 1.x.x is out of date now and from what I remember is unsupported.  There are security risks!  I highly recommend moving onto the SMF 2.x.x software.  It has far more functions available to it.

Geoff

Its taken me 2 1/2 hours to get logged onto the forum this morning, there was a 500 error stating Scripts.

The forum has been running faster for me the last few days until this morning.
Geoff

Tank

Thanks!  I'm waiting to hear back from the hosting company.  I fear that the whole forum will need to have it's coding starting from scratch, as something somewhere is causing too much load on the server.

MJKERR

Is the hosting on a VPS or shared account?
If a VPS, then have you considered swapping to https (SSL) and dedicated IP address? (a small premium but almost essential for high load uses)
I would also be asking the host if the MySQL is shared
Does the account use Cloudlinux, if so are there any restrictions?

As far as I can work out, from limited visitor use,there aren't any issues with the scripts themselves, it is the MySQL connection
If there were scripts issues then other features wouldn't be working, but they appear visible when the forum is not

Tank

No the VPS isn't shared, and we're yet to move to it.  This has happened on three different hosting company's, and the problem still comes back.  The engineer from SMF knows that there are scripting issues and has tried various tricks to help, and is looking for a solution.  The forum isn't really that big, so we shouldn't be having these issues.

MJKERR

Quote from: Tank on December 13, 2014, 12:32:59 PMNo the VPS isn't shared
That's contradictory, as a VPS is partially shared; it depends on account rights

Tank

MJKERR

Quote from: Tank on December 13, 2014, 04:08:10 PMNobody else will be using the VPS.
That would suggest you have root access
However, the resources and MySQL database are shared on a VPS account (hence the name, rather than Dedicated)
I would also suggest checking the IP address, to make sure they are dedicated and not shared
However, the simple solution here is to swap to the use of https and SSL

Lawrence

Reckon this conversation should be taken to PM and those with the necessary expertise pull together for the overall good of, not just the forum, but the hobby as a whole.
But please leave your predilections behind and come up with a solution that, a) works, b) can be easily implemented, c) affordable and, d) is future proof (as far as is practicable)
Thanks

austinbob

Quote from: Lawrence on December 13, 2014, 09:07:46 PM
Reckon this conversation should be taken to PM and those with the necessary expertise pull together for the overall good of, not just the forum, but the hobby as a whole.
But please leave your predilections behind and come up with a solution that, a) works, b) can be easily implemented, c) affordable and, d) is future proof (as far as is practicable)
Thanks

I agree with what you say but don't forget Tank and his colleagues are trying to sort this for us using their own time with whatever support they get from US!
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Lawrence

Quote from: austinbob on December 13, 2014, 09:14:10 PM
Quote from: Lawrence on December 13, 2014, 09:07:46 PM
Thanks

I agree with what you say but don't forget Tank and his colleagues are trying to sort this for us using their own time with whatever support they get from US!

Only too aware of that Bob, trust me  :doh:

austinbob

Yeah I know Lawrence. No offence intended. I think we all just want this problem resolved.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Hope I'm not putting the mockers on it, but the forum is tazzing along at the moment :thumbsup:

Bealman

Yeah same here. Warp factor 3, Mr Zulu!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MikeDunn

Quote from: Bealman on December 13, 2014, 10:25:13 PM
Yeah same here. Warp factor 3, Mr Zulu!
Are you talking to a particular member of the African nation  ???

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations