Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talisman56

Quote from: EtchedPixels on June 08, 2014, 09:25:43 PM
Patience, a magnifier and a small brush. It also helps to do it upside down I find. Also you can get all the numbers in one transfer which helps.

Definitely the patience and magnifier - I work 'the right way up'. I find a couple of cocktail sticks useful for manipulating the decal into position. I might do a tutorial while I'm doing the next batch of renumbering - I have a BSK and FK as well as the CK to do when I get round to it.

The main pain for me is putting the SR set numbers on the end of the brake coaches - you can't lay them flat and it needs three hands...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Roy L S

lovely pictures Les.

I will shortly be chipping one of my A1s, what chip did you use or would you recommend?

I am dipping a toe in the water of DCC and have to admit thus far smooth running at slow speeds with Bachmann and Gaugemaster chips has been unimpressive compared to Analogue even after tweaking some CVs.

Regards

Roy

4x2

Quote from: Roy L S on June 08, 2014, 10:05:32 PM
lovely pictures Les.

I will shortly be chipping one of my A1s, what chip did you use or would you recommend?

I am dipping a toe in the water of DCC and have to admit thus far smooth running at slow speeds with Bachmann and Gaugemaster chips has been unimpressive compared to Analogue even after tweaking some CVs.

Regards

Roy
Hi Roy, I've recently been dabling with decoders and I've found the 'Digitrax' chips/decoders to be very good, as are' TCS'. The Lenz silver mini also seems popular but is a bit more expensive. I've got some CT chips on the way and they seem to have a good rep. I found the bachmann chip to be pretty basic and they quite often play up, i've heard mixed reviews on the Gaugemaster ones though....
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

CarriageShed

Quote from: talisman56 on June 08, 2014, 09:34:49 PM
Definitely the patience and magnifier - I work 'the right way up'. I find a couple of cocktail sticks useful for manipulating the decal into position. I might do a tutorial while I'm doing the next batch of renumbering - I have a BSK and FK as well as the CK to do when I get round to it.

The main pain for me is putting the SR set numbers on the end of the brake coaches - you can't lay them flat and it needs three hands...

The cocktail stick, a pair of tweezers, and a very strong magnifier are your best friends when it comes to renumbering.

Out of interest, whose SR set numbers are you using? It's a job I will need to do myself eventually...

talisman56

Quote from: Pete33 on June 09, 2014, 05:37:37 PM
Quote from: talisman56 on June 08, 2014, 09:34:49 PM

The cocktail stick, a pair of tweezers, and a very strong magnifier are your best friends when it comes to renumbering.

Out of interest, whose SR set numbers are you using? It's a job I will need to do myself eventually...

Modelmaster 2415 via the NGS shop - applicable to BR(SR) Green Mark 1s, Bulleids and Maunsells - included are the coach numbers for the sets concerned (but beware of the error on Bulleid set 94).

Cambridge Custom Transfers BL32 - slightly larger numbers, more suited to Crimson/Cream sets, Mark 1s and Bulleids. No coach numbers, hence my intention to dabble with Crafty Computer decal paper.

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0

Les1952

Quote from: portland-docks on June 08, 2014, 09:02:05 PM
Quote from: Les1952 on June 08, 2014, 08:56:40 PM

I dion't really need another A4, two really being more than enough for the layout, but I was unable to resist a bargain.  Dapol's 60005 has the wrong tender fitted so acquiring one as a bargain meant it just had to be renumbered.  When I was a youngster the very first model A4 I saw was owned by my mate Mike- a Hornby Dublo Golden Fleece.  So, in homage to that- here is 60030 GOLDEN FLEECE.  Note the done-up buffers.  It just needs to be satin varnished and a trace of black along the boiler top.

whats wrong with the A4 tender?

i have Bittern in br green and need to swap the tender shell over for a corridor tender, as preserved.

Dapol's 60005 has a corridoor tender and shouldn't- it had non-corridoor tender no.5641 from new until scrapped.  That's why it has been renumbered as one that ran with an A3 Corridoor tender.

I made a fuss about Bittern's tender before the model was passed for production, which is why it correctly has a non-corridoor tender.  Bittern only ever ran in service with a non-corridoor tender- the same one (no.5638) throughout.  More recently in preservation (nineties?) the owners have rebuilt that tender with a corridoor.   I would have said it has only ever run with one tender but they put a second tender behind that in recent years- is this Scotsman's old second tender?

Interestingly 60005 and 60019 both were given secondhand tenders when new- though these tenders were only a year old.  Both had been behind A3s that had given up their corridoor tenders the year before to new-build A4s.

I just wish I'd bellyached to Dapol Dave about 60005 as well......

All the very best
Les

Les1952

Quote from: Roy L S on June 08, 2014, 10:05:32 PM
lovely pictures Les.

Regards

Roy

I'm not a big lover of Bachmann chips, you get what you pay for and so far I've had three duds.  For preference I use either Lenz or Zimo, but at twice the price of a Bachmann chip I find there are times I can't afford the difference.   The three sound-fitted locos I have (A3, 2MT and WD) are all Zimo.

Having said that both A1s have Bachmann chips in them, though the dud that came out of the second A1 was also a Bachmann. 

Just for completeness I've also had one Lenz chip replaced as dud.  The loco ran beautifully- backwards!

I use an NCE Powercab system and apart from a little cogging on the sound-fitted 2MT, probably due to it needing a little more running, most locos are very controllable down to walking pace.  Those that aren't will usually be down to the loco not being as good as it appears.  I've sold on a few that wouldn't behave as well on DCC as they did on analogue.  DCC finds poor runners you never knew were poor runners......

All the very best
Les

Cooper

I got chance to run my NGS show purchases in on the club layout tonight.

They both performed beautifully, so i'm very pleased with my 'sold as seen' bargain Class 70 now!  :bounce:

The Class 37 was a 'buy it when you see it impulse buy' and is my third, (I have another on pre-order). You cant have too many when planning to model South Wales....

CarriageShed

Quote from: talisman56 on June 09, 2014, 06:30:21 PM
Modelmaster 2415 via the NGS shop - applicable to BR(SR) Green Mark 1s, Bulleids and Maunsells - included are the coach numbers for the sets concerned (but beware of the error on Bulleid set 94).

Cambridge Custom Transfers BL32 - slightly larger numbers, more suited to Crimson/Cream sets, Mark 1s and Bulleids. No coach numbers, hence my intention to dabble with Crafty Computer decal paper.

It's the BR (SR) that worries me, as I model pre-war SR (no BR). The set numbers look pretty similar on prototype coaches in black and white photos, but I'd still like to be sure before I purchase the decals.

talisman56

Quote from: Pete33 on June 09, 2014, 10:47:30 PM
Quote from: talisman56 on June 09, 2014, 06:30:21 PM

It's the BR (SR) that worries me, as I model pre-war SR (no BR). The set numbers look pretty similar on prototype coaches in black and white photos, but I'd still like to be sure before I purchase the decals.

Pre-war set numbers were painted in a different style, similar to the large tender/side-tank numbers on locos, so neither of the ones I use will be applicable - the post-war numbers were Gill Sans-style, similar to the coach numbering of the period.

CarriageShed

Quote from: talisman56 on June 09, 2014, 11:03:10 PM
Pre-war set numbers were painted in a different style, similar to the large tender/side-tank numbers on locos, so neither of the ones I use will be applicable - the post-war numbers were Gill Sans-style, similar to the coach numbering of the period.

It's not easy to find pre-war photos of coach sets, but I've just managed to get hold of a copy of LSWR Carriages of the 20th Century.

Plate 6.10b page 22 clearly shows LSWR set No 135b, and Plate 9.1b page 102 shows a set (possibly No 345), in an undated photo with an LSWR N15 pulling. Both set numbers are in a typeface that is a tiny bit more slimline that Gill Sans but generally looks very similar to the Modelmaster numbers - the slimness won't really show at N Gauge - so I'm a little confused about just what should be used for set numbering!

talisman56

I'm looking at Gould's 'Maunsell's SR Steam Carriage Stock' and, as you say, pre-war photos are hard to find, most photos being of examples in BR(SR) Green or 'Blood and Custard'. But there is a photo of BCK 6695 in a works photo of 1935 showing the brake end, and the set number (168) painted there is in a style very much like the Loco numbers of the time.

In King's 'An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches', pre-war (or immediate post war) pictures are more common, and these are mainly works photos. These again show the 'loco'-style numbers.

On further examination, the main differences are the '6' and '9' and a 'more curvy' '2' - in 2mm scale will the general public detect an imperfection there? Only your conscience and need for accuracy will be the over-riding things there...

Sipat

Quote from: Cooper on June 09, 2014, 10:21:44 PM
I got chance to run my NGS show purchases in on the club layout tonight.

They both performed beautifully, so i'm very pleased with my 'sold as seen' bargain Class 70 now!  :bounce:

The Class 37 was a 'buy it when you see it impulse buy' and is my third, (I have another on pre-order). You cant have too many when planning to model South Wales....

Good to see it runs well, have you removed the chip completely? What chip was in it? (im in the market for another chip..)

scottishlocos

Guys

My latest purchases as the layout progreses from playing trains to model railway

Regards

Dave

CarriageShed

Quote from: talisman56 on June 10, 2014, 01:52:00 PM
On further examination, the main differences are the '6' and '9' and a 'more curvy' '2' - in 2mm scale will the general public detect an imperfection there? Only your conscience and need for accuracy will be the over-riding things there...

I have 'King' too, and on better examination I can see what you mean. The '4' is the same but the '2' is definitely different, matching the loco numbering at the time.

Hmm... I wonder if I could be convicted for hitting my conscience with a very large hammer...? There don't seem to be any other options.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations