Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willintas

Newportnobby

Thanks for that link to the pics, Nemo - it looks great :drool:
Trouble is, I already have 4 Westerns (3 x Farish:1 x Dapol) and have so much stuff on pre order I just dare not indulge in another :worried:

NeMo

Really nice photo; thanks for sharing! The lighting is excellent; looks like a bright sunny day. Very authentic.

Have you tried playing with the f-number on your camera? Would be interesting to see how much more depth of field you could get. This picture would be even better with the bridge in focus as well.

Cheers, NeMo

Quote from: willintas on May 28, 2014, 10:28:34 AM

My Latest loco.
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

daveg

Quote from: newportnobby on May 28, 2014, 10:47:27 AM
Thanks for that link to the pics, Nemo - it looks great :drool:
Trouble is, I already have 4 Westerns (3 x Farish:1 x Dapol) and have so much stuff on pre order I just dare not indulge in another :worried:

Yes, many thanks!  :)

Stopped the house packing for just a few minutes and saw your post.

Guess who has just ordered a maroon one?  :worried:

Hi ho! Back to the bubble wrap!

Dave G

NeMo

It's worth taking a look at the Mercig Studio equivalents. Obviously there's a lot more that goes into a Mercig model than just airbrushing on some weathering. There's chipped and faded paint as well as lots of etched brass goodies like lamp clips on the cab fronts. These Mercig models are serious works of art, and for those that can afford them, I'm sure the value remains there.

But all that comes in at £120 plus the cost of the loco itself. Given the Dapol weathered 'Western' is £3 more than the standard model, then the cost of getting the Mercig weathering is 40 times as much as the Dapol equivalent (i.e., 40 x 3 = 120).

The question is: is Mercig weathering really forty times better?  :hmmm:

Put another way, we've recently been discussing the likely price increases across Bachmann models. But at the same time the models themselves are getting vastly better than they were even a couple years ago. We can buy off-the-shelf weathered locomotives that now compare favourably with the handcrafted ones produced by bespoke weathering studios like Mercig.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Adam1701D

The Dapol weathered locos are based on samples provided by Mercig, hence the quality of the finish.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Dave95979

just won these just have to wait till they arrive  :)

Newportnobby

Quote from: captainelectra on May 28, 2014, 01:57:39 PM
The Dapol weathered locos are based on samples provided by Mercig, hence the quality of the finish.

Mercig will also be doing the weathering samples for DJ Models :thumbsup:

jivebunny

These just in from South Yorkshire.

Took advantage of Rails' current "4 for £70" offer on Virgin loco-hauled Mk3 coaches, which is about £23 off full RRP, and added an extra two coaches to the order.

For anyone interested, the bundle contains two first class coaches, a buffet, and a second class coach. It would probably be better if it was two second class and one first, but it's no doubt down to their stock levels.

JB

1936ace

Quote from: 1936ace on May 19, 2014, 05:50:42 AM

This is my new class 52 I hope in br blue. It was confiscated straight after the postman put in my hands. I have to wait until my birthday on the 1st June
Another quick delivery 4 workings days from order
Bart
Well as it's b'day today the box got opened and a lovely br blue 52 western noblemen was inside so a very happy modeller I am today. Mum and dad called over before I went to work and they gave me some wagons

Barr

daveg

Nice one, Bart!

Have a great birthday.

Dave G

port perran

Popped into Kernow Model Rail Shop yesterday to buy a bus for my father's birthday.
Got the bus but also came out with this little beauty :

It's the first SR loco I've bought. Not really representative of a type used on the N Cornwall line (which is my next project) but I like the Q1s so Rule One will apply !
The chap holding the pole looks impressed anyway !
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

gc4946

Sometimes items come up on a well-known auction site that I'd see as desirable, but need repair, such as this FGW Dapol 153 below:

On close examination the model had one bogie missing and four of its air tanks missing, it was sold as such for spares or repair.

I fitted a spare bogie without gears and after cleaning the contacts it worked OK. Even though it drove on only one bogie there was no loss of power or adhesion.

However I have bits to repair this from a cannibalised non-powered unit (the missing bogie and air tanks) or already on order (gears) so this'll be repaired, after all.

With my Wessex Trains St Ives Bay 153 I can model the FGW transition period 2007-08 between the old and the new liveries.

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

alibuchan

Got 60054 and 37239 brand new and 37194 second hand. Just waiting for a cheque to clear so I can get my Manor I have on hold.

The 2 x 37's and the 60 are for repaints in to colas and westcoast railways colours.

Alistair

portland-docks

iv got a 37 in west coast railway livery, i used the transfers and nameplates from precision labels i think it was.

looks good mind! i think mine mostly is either going to be sat in the siding or hauling a ECS into a station for a steamer lol
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations