NEED A QUOTE!!!!!!!!!

Started by 1936ace, May 01, 2015, 11:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

Hi all,

As most of you all know, i suffered a bit of storm/flood damage last week and the layout room was severely damaged including most of the rolling stock.

Today i asked if my usual supplier of goods would be interested in supplying a discount if i purchase the "job lot" through them.

I received an email stating that they would not but happy to assist in answering queries.

So since im going to be spending in one go around 7500 to 10000 pounds do you think i should shop around and if so, suggestions please

thanks in advance
bart

Agrippa

If you're spending a large sum it would be a good idea to enquire around, would a
local supplier have all the stuff you need?  Perhaps your usual supplier doesn't
make much profit on rolling stock etc and can't afford a discount, assuming you
wanted 10- 15% off. Anyway hope you get things rolling again!
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

port perran

If you are spending that much in one transaction, I'd definitely be asking for at least 10%discount.
The problem is often that you get through to s shop assistant who will just say no because they are not used to people spending that much. You probably need to speak to someone more senior or the proprietor.
Are you buying in Australia or on-line in UK?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

1936ace

Hi guys,
Reply was from hattons!!. Yes i was surprised
The closest model store to me is way too small and i know he could not do the order. I have got a price from the "biggest" in the state and there prices are not the cheapest(A$430 for a duchess).
Based purely on cost most of my stuff comes from the UK except the dcc hardware which i buy local as i want the local back up support.
On port's suggestion i have started shopping around.
Have got a positve reply from rails and have sent full list to them so i guess i see how it goes.
Just thought that since hattons sent the original invoices over with in the hour i thought they would be "on it" to offer a discount.
Im looking at 25 locos, a bp, 6 dmus around 30 coaches and about 197 wagons, 80 points and motors and around 3 boxes of track plus other stuff but i id get them locally
Anyway thanks all fingers crossed i guess i will see
bart

steve836

Maybe its because Hatton's price is already discounted because of their volume of trade. Their prices are already lower than the rrp.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

MikeDunn

Quote from: 1936ace on May 01, 2015, 12:36:14 PM
On port's suggestion i have started shopping around.
Have got a positve reply from rails and have sent full list to them so i guess i see how it goes.
Try Hereford Models too - they are very good.

Malc

Also try Colletts of Exmouth. A good guy, willing to help. Www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk. He does say he will price match.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

1936ace

Thanks guys will do happy to throw money at the smaller shops if they play nice. The closest to me for eg pays $350 for a BP and will sell it for $650 hence the UK spending
Bart

trainsdownunder

Have found that if "this is being handled through an insurance claim" or similar words mentioned, most suppliers will then not discount as I guess they feel you are not paying personally and so quote full price.

Sort of understandable as they will normally also have to produce an invoice to show value.

ozzie Bill.

Hi Bart. Have you tried a couple of the local Melbourne shops? I am thinking particularly of railnthusiast : http://www.railnthusiast.com.au/  and branchline: http://www.branchline.com.au/  My experience of both of them is that they are normally willing to deal and they often have a good range. You can also try Trainworld in Brighton, but they are not known for their competitive prices.
Cheers, Bill.

1936ace

Thanks mate will go it a go
Need to bargain as insurance has been priced off my invoices so with price rise and drop in Aussie dollar I have to make it work
The main line to Brisbane runs round our place and just up the road it washed away
I'm not sure who will get up and running first me it then
Bart

1936ace

Quote from: trainsdownunder on May 03, 2015, 04:27:09 AM
Have found that if "this is being handled through an insurance claim" or similar words mentioned, most suppliers will then not discount as I guess they feel you are not paying personally and so quote full price.

Sort of understandable as they will normally also have to produce an invoice to show value.

hi mate,

have to shop around as im likely to be only getting what i paid for items based of invoices so in the case of the 37 i paid 64 pounds when the dollar was 69p but now the loco costs 106pound and the dollar has dropped to 51p

basically A$77 against the buy it now of A$173  ouch!!

bart

1936ace

Hi all,
Well I have had replies from all the retailers and no one was able to offer a discount for the replacements. One dud offer a 10% discount on postage. So looks like I will have to replace items when they come on sale to minimise the gap.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions
Bart

REGP

Hi Bart

Just wondering if you offered to pay by Sterling draft or cheque thus removing any PayPal / Credit card / Exchange fees might that help?

Ray

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations