locomotive search

Started by Corbie, December 24, 2019, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maridunian

Quote from: PGN on January 19, 2020, 12:08:10 AM

For the Glasgow & South Western there's nothing at all (although it shouldn't be too difficult to turn the Drummond 0-6-4T into a G&SW 0-6-2T ... one of my current projects).

I always thought the G&SW dock tank would be an easy hack from a Minitrix 2F...

Mike

My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

PGN

Mike -

Yes, that's another of my projects! But the dock tanks didn't often venture out onto the main running lines.

The big G&SW pugs look like a good first scratch-building project, too, as the Bachmann 0-4-0 chassis looks as though it ought to be usable. But we're talking about a whole load of tank engines here, and the G&SW was a notoriously anti-tank railway!

When we NEED is a tender locomotive or two ... and here help may be at hand as I have been trying to persuade Rudi Newman that a Manson 4-6-0 would be a nice locomotive to produce as a 3D print ... and he is actually quite interested in the idea. So keep your eyes on the Newman Miniatures section of the Shapeways site.

Corbie -

The unfortunate thing is that Colin Heard's experience is that Scottish prototypes are always much slower-selling than English prototypes (ask him about his experience with the J38 some time ... ) and this invariably affects his decision-making, as no manufacturer can afford to tie up their working capital in models which languish unsold for unearthly periods. It's simple commercial reality, unfortunately.

But, you never know ... at least the GNS was a 4-4-0 railway, and Colin's USP is his wide range of 4-4-0s. Even if he does not give you an Inverurie locomotive, he might come up with one which is a relatively easy bash. (My next bashing project is likely to be turning an LMS 2P into a SECR E1 ... there's VERY little work needed for that one, and you may find the same. Just keep comparing pictures ...
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations