From Devon or Cornwall?

Started by Newportnobby, August 17, 2023, 09:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

There are some 'offences' committed by drivers that are really just money making schemes for the relevant authorities, but I am all in favour of things like this.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Madann01

Living in Cornwall I can assure you all that it must be the Emmets from up north (Rest of the country) as this technology (Mobile Phones) has not been allowed to cross the Tamar bridge or breech border security at Launceston, Can' t speak for Devonians though

jpendle

Quote from: Madann01 on August 17, 2023, 01:26:42 PMLiving in Cornwall I can assure you all that it must be the Emmets from up north (Rest of the country) as this technology (Mobile Phones) has not been allowed to cross the Tamar bridge or breech border security at Launceston, Can' t speak for Devonians though
I thought that powerful 4G towers had been set up offshore, just outside Cornish Territorial waters, so that emmets holidaying on the coast can still access the outside world  :D

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

JasonBz

Always a good move to try things that will cut down on dangerous actions while driving that is for certain; and there can be a certain cavalier attitude to road safety at times in Cornwall, and many other rural areas too, no doubt.

As an aside, we had widespread broadband internet in Cornwall at a time when most of the rest of the country were still enjoying their dial up connections ;)

Madann01

Whilst in somewhat agreeing with Jason regarding the cavalier attitude of drivers in Cornwall, I do believe that driving in rural Cornwall requires a different mindset to that of driving in a town or city, many of the back roads you have to use are single width with some even having a centre line of grass. Driving slowly and looking for a passing place to reverse into becomes second nature should you happen to be confronted by the obligatory tractor, bus, or even an artic! as does the customary acknowledgement wave from both parties. So much more civilised.
However there does seem to be a 'Heartbeat' style body shop garage in every town, village, and Hamlet 

dannyboy

Quote from: Madann01 on August 19, 2023, 12:57:01 PMdriving in rural Cornwall requires a different mindset to that of driving in a town or city, many of the back roads you have to use are single width with some even having a centre line of grass. Driving slowly and looking for a passing place to reverse into becomes second nature should you happen to be confronted by the obligatory tractor, bus, or even an artic! as does the customary acknowledgement wave from both parties. So much more civilised.

You have just described the art of driving round here! Apart from the mention of 'bus' - what's a 'bus'?  ???. The lane up to my driveway, all 1.5 miles, has the obligatory strip of grass up the middle.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bealman

On my recent UK adventure, I found myself on one such road near Wookey Hole in Somerset. I rounded a bend, and here was some absolute pratt in a black low sports job, just in front of a passing bay in the hedge.

This  :censored: (I just went straight to the icon, because I knew I'd never be able to include the word I really wanted) just refused to reverse two metres into the passing bay.

This meant I had reverse to a passing bay around a blind corner in a rental car I wasn't the best at reversing anyway. Mrs Bealman was freaking out and I was filling the car with unprintable expletives.

If I was a rich bloke I'd have just driven straight into him.  :veryangry:

Having said that, most other encounters were ok.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

joe cassidy

My cousin has found a way around the banning of rude words on the internet.

He types them in Morse code  :)

trkilliman

Quote from: dannyboy on August 19, 2023, 01:50:10 PM
Quote from: Madann01 on August 19, 2023, 12:57:01 PMdriving in rural Cornwall requires a different mindset to that of driving in a town or city, many of the back roads you have to use are single width with some even having a centre line of grass. Driving slowly and looking for a passing place to reverse into becomes second nature should you happen to be confronted by the obligatory tractor, bus, or even an artic! as does the customary acknowledgement wave from both parties. So much more civilised.

You have just described the art of driving round here! Apart from the mention of 'bus' - what's a 'bus'?  ???. The lane up to my driveway, all 1.5 miles, has the obligatory strip of grass up the middle.  :)

I live in Falmouth, Cornwall, and there are indeed many narrow lanes around, off of the main roads.  The last few weeks I have encountered an inordinate number of Chelsea Tractors driving in the middle of the road.
I can only think they spend much of their time on modern day ring roads, and cannot appreciate the narrowness of many Cornish roads and lanes. Plus of course many of the BMW/Volvo/Audi/Mercedes vehicles are considerably wider than run of the mill vehicles. Locals call it silly Season with the arrival of so many visitors...I have certainly witnessed some very silly driving.

Newportnobby

Quote from: joe cassidy on August 20, 2023, 11:34:13 AMMy cousin has found a way around the banning of rude words on the internet.

He types them in Morse code  :)

That must be a huge Endeavour

cornish yorkie

:hellosign:
  Yes we are well into silly season here in Cornwall, as a bus driver I find most locals are not bad down the narrow lanes as they occasionally know when to expect us
  stay safe regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

The Q

Same happens in Norfolk, lots of single roads round here including the road I live on, with occasional grass in the middle.

On the slightly wider roads still with no white lines down the middle, the bull bar on my Landrover persuades many to keep right.

We also have a classic road nearby  a 70mph dual carriageway, but with only one lane each way..

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations