Internet banking

Started by Agrippa, March 09, 2014, 12:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agrippa

I was wondering how many members use internet banking. Last week I received a letter from the
Bank of Scotland saying  that in future they are not sending me a monthly current account
statement but it will be quarterly.I imagine this will eventually become six monthly then annually.

The mini statements from ATMs don't show much detail and I like to see who's taking money from me ie Paypal , council tax etc so thinking about net banking. Just bothered about security , another
password to remember and these cockups when a bank employee leaves a disk with thousands of customers' details in a pub or a skip etc.

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

scotsoft

I use internet banking and I also have an app on my phone for banking.
I find them both very useful  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

trainsdownunder

Been with First Direct from the early days and have now been a customer for 20+ years. I am happy to report that I had not had any problems to date with fraud or any malicious attempts on my accounts with them. Their service has been fantastic and the telephone response when needed - again 1st class. I still use their services even though I am in Australia full time.

On the other hand (five fingers and a thumb) since being in Australia both my wife and myself have had attempts made to use our credit details. The bank (National Australia Bank) spotted these attempts very quickly and no monies were lost, but it has made me wonder if things here aren't so secure out here  :hmmm: :hmmm:

Agrippa

Thanks for posts, still pondering. I don't keep much money in my current account so any
fraud would be small, more concerned about personal details etc  getting into wrong hands.
Will give it  a thought. :hmmm:

Strangely enough a work colleague opened his bank statement at the teabreak and asked
"What's RENFE ?"  I said it's the Spanish rail organisation. He had been charged about £800
by them. This was strange as he had never been to Spain and didn't use trains  let alone Spanish ones. Also didn't bank on the net. Bank refunded his money but the mystery was never solved.

EtchedPixels

The usual things about keeping computers clean of viruses, insecure software etc apply but your details are probably more at risk at a motorway service station or a hotel.

The banks also try and spot fraudulent behaviour, and to use login schemes that mean grabbing one password isn't enough. Some of the better ones supply you with a "widget" which gives you a pass phrase as part of the login so that you need the code from the widget (which changes each time) as well as the data from the PC.

The idea being its easy to give a Windows PC a virus or trojan it and log all the data. It's a bit of a problem trying to then attack the widget.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Agrippa

thebrighton

Touch wood I've been internet banking for 15-20 years without a problem. A program I watched recently showed that the most common way personal details get into the wrong hands is by people chucking mail addressed to them in the bin. A few bins were gone through which held enough paper rubbish to easily steal some ones identity. Another common source is paying in retail outlets and cashpoints where your card is read and duplicated. Internet banking is no more risky. If someone wants to steal your identity they will but banks seem pretty good at refunding fraudulent transactions.
My only real brush with fraud was when the Signal Box in Rochester had its customer database compromised which included my card details. Ironically the fraudsters used my card to buy the top of the range Norton Anti Virus software!
Gareth

Sprintex

Quote from: trainsdownunder on March 09, 2014, 12:12:40 PM
Been with First Direct from the early days and have now been a customer for 20+ years. I am happy to report that I had not had any problems to date with fraud or any malicious attempts on my accounts with them. Their service has been fantastic and the telephone response when needed - again 1st class.

Same here. Been with First Direct ( who I believe were the first non-branch based bank in the UK starting off as telephone banking, then internet) since they first started and still a happy customer :thumbsup: Never had a problem with security in all that time, and in fact find applying for things like loans or overdraft-extensions easier than with other banks :)

Quote from: EtchedPixels on March 09, 2014, 12:34:52 PM
The banks also try and spot fraudulent behaviour, and to use login schemes that mean grabbing one password isn't enough. Some of the better ones supply you with a "widget" which gives you a pass phrase as part of the login so that you need the code from the widget (which changes each time) as well as the data from the PC.

FD have recently introduced this added security to carry out certain transactions online such as set up new payment orders, but handily you don't need it to just check your balance or send payments to people already set up as destinations ;)

Paul

Jack

I too, have been with First Direct on Line Banking since it started, (the first in this country) and have had no problems. FD are a branch of HSBC.

In all those years twice my account was hit for something I didn't know about but before I noticed it First Direct rang me and told me what had happened and that they had closed the account and opened a new one having transferred all necessary funds, DD's and SO's. The was once when someone tried to use my FD Visa card fraudulently (online trader) and once again they did every thing before I even knew about it. All relevent cards were being renewed as they spoke to me.

As has already been said, the "secret" is to keep your O/S updates up to date along with having a good anti virus software and keeping that up to date too.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Luke Piewalker

I use keepass to generate and store my passwords. You can drag and drop them from there into your web forms.
BoS have the second stage password which you enter with pull downs, presumably to defeat keyloggers.

Trev

I'm the same as Jack. Have been with First Direct since about 6 months after they launched.
They have never let me down at all.
I have also had a couple of questionable transaction happen on my account and like others, it was a phone call from FD that highlighted me to the issues which they immediately spotted and stopped.  One of them was only for £10 - what FD called a test amount that someone put through to see if the account was live.

How on earth FD spotted it I've no idea.

They are the only bank I would recommend and as has been said, they are a separate part of HSBC which means you can pay in at any HSBC bank on the high street.
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

Malc

I have a business account with Lloyd's and they give you a widget that you have to plug your debit card into before you can access your account. My current account uses drop down selection of memorable information. When you set up a new recipient or transfer, they have an automated system of sending a text to your mobile with a code you need to enter. Since I worked abroad for the last 20 years, internet banking is a god send.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

petercharlesfagg

I use HSBC for everything including my business account, I rarely have paper printouts of my daily dealings, it is easier just to look on-line.

I am connected to Paypal as well and it just simplifies everything, and BOY do I need it simple!

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

ParkeNd

I remain a traditional bank user for no other reason that no-one has taken the monthly statement away - yet. Use Excel to manage our finances and never go into a bank. All they have there anyway is a row of machines that will only accept virtually ironed bank notes. Have always been able to recognise a pioneer as the man with a bum full of arrows. Just waiting for the rest of you to get the bugs sorted out.

4x2

I've been using Barclays bank online for about 3 years now and it's proven to be reliable and safe so far.... (Touch wood !)
I use a complicated password which I think makes it just that bit harder for anyone attempting a hack, and the fact I'm usually skint !!!
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations