NGF Mobile

Started by guest2, June 18, 2012, 05:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

We have now launched the 'N Gauge Forum Mobile'.  This is due to demand from members for a mobile friendly way of navigating the site.

The mobile experience is of course a basic version of the forum, and many features are missing.  This or course makes it easier for the smaller screens and loading times of some mobile devices.

Please let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

Claude Dreyfus

Oooh, a wizzy new mobile interface. It looks pretty good and seems easy enough to navigate via Android.

Tank....I will be giving this ago. Have just got me a shiny new HTC one X

The normal forum displays beautiful on my phone, but I would imagine the 'Mobile' version will be just as good :thumbsup:

Cheers, Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

West Coast Models - www.westcoastmodels.co.uk

Tank

Thanks guys.  :)

Good luck with the new phone Anthony!

RichardBattersby

I must have seen this on my phone only moments after you pressed the big shiny green GO button as one minute it was old the next... wow.

I like it! Seems to work perfectly and much more friendly for the iPhone - goodbye annoying scrolling and zooming. Well done!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :NGF:
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

kirky

I'm glad it's got the 'go to full site' button at the bottom the page. I use an iPad which is fine with the full version, but it defaulted to being the mobile version using safari. no probs just clicking the button to get ful version.
But good idea for phones.
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

zwilnik

Didn't work on my (retina) iPad. Just did a huge long list of forums on the left hand side.

Personally I tend to prefer "full site" mode on the iPad anyway as Safari's designed around viewing normal sites and the mobile-ised versions tend to be a bit wonky.

Main worry is wether it'll remember that I've selected full site next time I'm back (couple of other sites I visit didn't for a while). Also may be worth setting it to full site mode by default until a user selects mobile.

Illori

just about all the mobile theme is on the index is a list of the boards, so it did work just fine.

it would take more work to disable it by default then have it enabled by default. but it should remember your selection until you log out.

REGP

So that's why I got the blue screen at 14:32 today you were testing it!

I use a mark one iPad and with the addition of the previous/next page facility find the old Forum format works very well.

All though I have an Android smart phone my fat fingers cause havoc so I shan't be using it to view the forum but havinghsaid that I can see a lot of members finding it very useful.

Ray

port perran

Just been trying it on my iphone.
Worked fine first time but just tried logging on again and everything seems to have stopped working.
Coud be that the site is being worked on though.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Illori

nothing is being done to the forum. in what way did it stop working?

port perran

OK.
Working fine now.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

upnick

Lot better than   scrolling  &  zooming in & out on ther phones screen although unless i've missed it   

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Show own posts. Show own topics.

Doesnt appear as on the main site page  is this something that will  or could apear at a later date on the mobile  version of the site ?   

Malc

It is a little different to the Safari version when seen on the I-pad, but it is really good. Well done to the developer.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Illori

Quote from: upnick on June 18, 2012, 08:47:27 PM
Lot better than   scrolling  &  zooming in & out on ther phones screen although unless i've missed it   

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Show own posts. Show own topics.

Doesnt appear as on the main site page  is this something that will  or could apear at a later date on the mobile  version of the site ?   

if you click the image on the top left it will show you the menu where you can select several of those. it looks like a circle with a grid in it.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations