New Farish Black 5s

Started by Lightningf6, November 01, 2023, 11:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightningf6

Does anyone know if the new Farish Black 5s will be available with sound? The ones that have been advertised so far don't say anything about DCC or sound.
Thanks.

Carmont

No, it is the previous chassis reused, so 6 pin decoder socket and no sound provision.

Roy L S

Yes still tender-driven and with a 6 pin decoder socket. A decent enough loco that runs well but simply not physically possible to factory fit DCC sound to it as there just isn't room in the tender.

It would have been nice if this had gone through a complete re-tool to loco-drive with Next 18 socket and speaker in the tender, but R&D budgets only go so far I guess and as the loco hasn't been available for a fair while there will probably be plenty of people happy to see it re-released in it's current guise, it is after all big class of locos that in BR days routinely got almost everywhere except the South East, West Country and (possibly?) South Wales.

Roy

Firstone18

Just a note to other owners of this loco:
A fellow club member asked me to look at his loco as it would not respond after he fitted a decoder. On investigation it was found the decoder board is not a good fit in the tender chassis, and during him removing the blanking plug and fitting the decoder the black wire had broken at the board end. The soldering of these fine wires is of a poor standard IMO with much of the copper core showing and no strain relief. Fortunately the wire was long enough to resolder, and I suggest some black tack or similar to keep the decoder board firmly located. Such a shame as it is a nice looking loco. I recently repaired a Kato Class 800 which had been dropped, and the build quality of it was superb mechanically and electrically - Farish and Dapol could do with some guidance from Kato!
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

Portpatrick

Quote from: Roy L S on November 01, 2023, 11:28:08 AMY it is after all big class of locos that in BR days routinely got almost everywhere except the South East, West Country and (possibly?) South Wales.

Roy

I am sure I have seen photos of them on the Central Wales line down, or is it up?, to Swansea.

crewearpley40

Here's one

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/774337729653610345/

@Portpatrick

I believe a handful were based at Bristol Bath Road

You may have to look at flickr or Pinterest . Maybe in preservation days as there is a photo by r..Winser
Of 44871 and 45407 on the central Wales line .

Apologies I cannot answer the OP point as I'm not dcc
Although others have answered

devonjames

Quote from: Firstone18 on November 01, 2023, 03:29:00 PMJust a note to other owners of this loco:
A fellow club member asked me to look at his loco as it would not respond after he fitted a decoder. On investigation it was found the decoder board is not a good fit in the tender chassis, and during him removing the blanking plug and fitting the decoder the black wire had broken at the board end. The soldering of these fine wires is of a poor standard IMO with much of the copper core showing and no strain relief. Fortunately the wire was long enough to resolder, and I suggest some black tack or similar to keep the decoder board firmly located. Such a shame as it is a nice looking loco. I recently repaired a Kato Class 800 which had been dropped, and the build quality of it was superb mechanically and electrically - Farish and Dapol could do with some guidance from Kato!

I've recently had exactly the same problem on one of these but with the brown wire. It soldered back on easy enough but glad to know it may not have been caused entirely by my hamfistednes after all.

Lightningf6

Thanks for the replies. I have not "converted to DCC yet and was thinking this would be my first loco. Shame it's an old one.

Roy L S

Quote from: Lightningf6 on November 02, 2023, 10:53:34 AMThanks for the replies. I have not "converted to DCC yet and was thinking this would be my first loco. Shame it's an old one.

Why not try the BR Standard 5MT in that case, a later BR loco but based around the Black Five in a number of ways in terms of design and purpose. Price is very similar and it can be purchased sound fitted which also works in a limited way on analogue.

Roy

Portpatrick

Quote from: crewearpley40 on November 01, 2023, 03:43:40 PMHere's one

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/774337729653610345/

@Portpatrick

I believe a handful were based at Bristol Bath Road

You may have to look at flickr or Pinterest . Maybe in preservation days as there is a photo by r..Winser
Of 44871 and 45407 on the central Wales line .

Apologies I cannot answer the OP point as I'm not dcc
Although others have answered

Love the photo.  I no longer have my Wales based albums as my interests are now in Scotland!  However I vaguely remember one on a 3 car passenger train.  I guess there may have been the odd one at Bath S&D as well.  Or if not allocated certainly being turned and coaled for working the Pines Express from/to the North.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations