N prices

Started by MistyEyedWanderer, October 24, 2023, 08:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MistyEyedWanderer

As my main interest is American N scale and narrow gauges, I hadn't paid that much attention to standard British N gauge for quite a while.  I remember when Farish was made in Poole and it was quite a thing to be able to afford even a used engine, even if the running quality was poor. It was quite a shock to see the retail cost now.

IMHO, there seems to be an over estimation on the part of used older manufacture sellers where there is a newer and better model. 
I wander what would be about the right price for older N gauge gear, given how markets vary?

AlexanderJesse

I have the same impression on continental stuff.

What's the right price???

I think the only valid answer is: it depends.

If the model you need a price for is high in demand and low in offer.... the price is high. If the model is currently a fashion object... the price is high

If also can vary from week to week. (at least that's my idea i got from observing the prices paid in our swiss online auction house).

For continental stuff there is a (german only) database which also contains an overview of prices paid: https://www.spurweite-n.de/ncontent/ndb/ndb-search.asp

Would be nice to know whether something siilar is available for NGauge stuff.
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

njee20

There's no right answer. The item is worth what someone will pay. That'll vary from item to item.

Some Farish Poole stuff is worth markedly less because they're just awful models. The 56 and the 50 spring to mind. Other bits probably still hold their value well.

The market in general is quite flat at the moment though, you get markedly less for models than a couple of years ago.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations