SONIC to produce Vanwide Wagons

Started by Carmont, December 07, 2023, 12:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmont

Sonic have announced a range of Vanwide Ventilated Vans, available in triple packs.

Due in Q3 of 2024, liveries include BR Bauxite (early and late), BR Freight Brown, BR Olive Green, BR Railfreight (Red/Grey).

Each livery is available in packs of 3.

From Rails of Sheffield's Website:

Due to pressure from large customers BR developed a box van design with sliding doors, the Vanwide to Diagram 1/217, with standard dimensions of 17ft 6 inch length with a 10ft wheelbase. The sides were of plywood construction with flush doors that moved out slightly thus enabling them to slide down the sides, so alleviating the problem of confined locations. The end walls were made from corrugated metal sheeting. The door opening method made a door aperture of 9ft possible which aided loading of pallets by fork lift truck. It was this wider door opening that gave rise to the code name. The build was between Wolverton works and Derby works with nearly 2000 being built between 1961 - 1962.

The VEA vans were refurbished versions of the Vanwide and fitted with air brakes from 1977 to suit customers who could not handle the longer wheelbase of more modern designs of wagon. A total of 550 wagons were converted. They were used on Speedlink trains as well as military specials. A decline in MOD requirements led to most of the wagons being withdrawn in the early 1990s with just a handful finding further use in the departmental fleets. However many survived in internal use at Army bases. Several examples survive into preservation.

Spanners70

Just a rehash of the ones revolution did not so long ago ?

Roy L S

Interesting enough choice of models but of course duplicates the NGS kit 61 which is a shame.

Not one I feel an overwhelming urge to pre-order with a non-refundable deposit payable, but I may be tempted buy a pack further down the line once released.

Roy

martyn

Quote from: Spanners70 on December 07, 2023, 12:20:36 PMJust a rehash of the ones revolution did not so long ago ?

No, not quite.

They were produced by Sonic with Revolution promoting and distributing them.

I believe the springing has been remodelled to show the difference.

Yes, it does duplicate the Society kit, but this is not the first time the RTR market, not just Sonic, have done this. The underframe and chassis will be more accurate than the Peco one.

Martyn

Steven B

Quote from: martyn on December 07, 2023, 01:12:19 PMI believe the springing has been remodelled to show the difference.

Yes, it does duplicate the Society kit, but this is not the first time the RTR market, not just Sonic, have done this. The underframe and chassis will be more accurate than the Peco one.

Brake type, Springing and axle bearings were changed when they were rebuilt to VEA. Air brakes replaced vacuum whilst roller bearings replaced plain bearings.

It's not just the main manufacturers; The NGS has produced RTR models that duplicate kits too. The Mk1 carflat and LMS Inspection saloon replicated Etched Pixels/Ultima kits. They rendered their own Queen Mary brake van kit redundant with a RTR model. The VIX ferry van used to be available from Mill Lane Sidings.

Steven B

martyn

Instead of springing, maybe I should have said underframe/chassis changed to reflect the differences.

At least I believe so, anyway

Martyn

Chris Morris

I just hope people don't start mixing these with vacuum braked wagons in the same train, that would be sooo wrong.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Chris Morris on December 07, 2023, 01:51:57 PMI just hope people don't start mixing these with vacuum braked wagons in the same train, that would be sooo wrong.

Hi

Surely that depends on which pack you order as some of these are vacuum braked  vans. For example S2301-02

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Spanners70

I'm obviously a basic level train buff, must enrol in rivet counting course think the difference is abit too small for me to notice haha basically look the same to me....

Chris Morris

Quote from: PaulCheffus on December 07, 2023, 02:11:02 PM
Quote from: Chris Morris on December 07, 2023, 01:51:57 PMI just hope people don't start mixing these with vacuum braked wagons in the same train, that would be sooo wrong.

Hi

Surely that depends on which pack you order as some of these are vacuum braked  vans. For example S2301-02

Cheers

Paul

You are right, in fact there are more vacuum fitted versions than air brake versions in this release. I just couldn't run a train with a mix of air and vacuum braked wagons. Ok - I could run all the air braked wagons next to the loco and then the vacuum braked wagons. A train such as this would need a brake van even in the 1970s.

Chris Morris

Quote from: Spanners70 on December 07, 2023, 02:27:51 PMI'm obviously a basic level train buff, must enrol in rivet counting course think the difference is abit too small for me to notice haha basically look the same to me....
The difference might not be noticeable to the naked eye but if I had put the train together then I would know. I just could not be happy with that.

Thorpe Parva

The Revolution model wasn't applicable to those like myself who model the transition era so for me it's a very welcome announcement. Mind you I do have 2 Society kits waiting to be made up.

David

pinball

Nice to see another run of the Railfreight VEAs as well as part of this announcement.

Chris in Prague

A very nice series of additions to the RTR range. I will certainly be ordering several packs. (Even though I have some NGS kit ones made and more to complete.)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations