NEM Pocket Issue Mk 1 2017 Farish Coaches

Started by mattcaney, March 08, 2020, 09:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattcaney

Hello, I have three Mk1 GF Coaches that I Purchased new in 2017, Unfortunately when they were put away for storage the coupling socket has been damaged. Now the coupling will not hold tension in the up or down direction. I have been told that I can replace the actual socket on coupling but I cannot find anywhere on how to do this. Please note that these are not the spring type so it is not that the spring has gone. Many thanks. Matt

mattcaney

zwilnik

I thought the socket was part of the bogie moulding? If so that would mean replacing the bogies. That or filing off the old socket and sticking a new one in place.

Can you post photos of the damage so we can see what's involved?

Southerngooner

Hi Matt

If these coaches were new in 2017 they could have one of two types of coupling pocket, which would either be mounted on the bogie or on a small shaft protruding from the chassis and not fixed to the bogie. Can you tell us which of these it is, either by description or a photo? If they are new Blue Riband type Mk1s they should have the latter type. If they are Mk1 suburban coaches or Pullmans they should have the former type. If they are the latter type it is possible for two things to have happened - the spring holding the coupling inside the chassis may have become detached, and this would need the coach dismantling to fix. It could also be the small NEM pocket inside the coupling mounting has been damaged or dislodged and could need refining or replacing. Until it is clear what the problem is I don't think anyone could give you a clear answer so a photo or two would be a great help

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

mattcaney

Here is a photo of the underside of my coach.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Southerngooner

It certainly looks like a new Mk1 by comparison to one I have here. If the coupling is drooping in the NEM pocket then it could be that this has been broken in storage as it should be pretty rigid in the pocket.

I don't know how you could repair it as there isn't an inner part as I originally thought. You may have to dismantle the coach and replace the coupling pocket assembly. Not too difficult but tricky if you've not done it before. You could glue the actual coupling in place in the pocket and it would function OK, you just wouldn't be able to change it easily once glued.

Dave
Dave

mattcaney

Thanks, Can you get the actual pocket off the bogie to replace it. I am prepared to give it a go. If not I have bought some 2mm magnets and have tried gluing these too a spare coupling that I cut the U shape off. But havent found a glue that will glue this. I think gluing would be the quickest and easiest method although wouldnt look particular good. Thanks

Southerngooner

If you take the bogie off by removing the centre pin you should find the coupling Mount  is still fixed to the body?
Dave

mattcaney

Thank you. The layout is at parents house so will try next weekend.

PLD

Definitely a latest generation Mk1, but I suspect it has been dropped or suffered a similar impact at some point - The L/H buffer looks to be damaged and the coupling mount isn't sitting right. It is possible that whatever impact it suffered has simply dislodged the mount from its normal position (not uncommon). Provided the mount itself is not broken and the spring is still present, it's not a big job to re-fit.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations