2’x2’ minilayout Weihnachtsmarkt Kanada

Started by grumbeast, December 11, 2021, 05:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbeast

Hey All,

After promising my better half for years that I would build a little xmas layout, I'm finally doing it!. I had a small 2'x2' board I'd built as a woodworking practice thing a while ago and decided to use that.

Its just a small Kato loop that I intend to either use my Koln tram on or a short steam loco and coaches.  What we really wanted was a small market to remind us of our visit to Koln and other markets in the UK, she gave me a big hint last year with a set of stalls from DM-Toys, and followed up this year with a xmas windmill thing.

I've made quite a bit of progress, and last night I tried making snow with Dave Frary's 'snow goop' recipe and I have to say it works great!.  Its equal parts Titanium white acrylic, modelling paste and gloss medium with a drop of Cerulean blue.  Mix until its like Mayonaisse then splotch it on.  I've done some buildings and then sprinkled on a little glitter.  I'm going to do the rest of the layout hopefully later today once the white basecoat dries.  Here's progress so far

Base Layout (in progress)

Market and buildings

Main Building

Newportnobby

Looking good so far. Maybe a bit more snow on the rooves? Loft insulation these days means colder tiles etc.

grumbeast

Small update..

I've added snow goop and glitter to everything,  it needs to dry for a few days but i've popped down the structures just to see what its going to look like.  Still have to drill holes for lights, do the lighting itself, trees, figures and details, but this should give you some idea

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

LASteve

That looks great! I need to plan ahead for next year inspired by your progress ...

grumbeast

Well,

I've spent a few days wiring up LEDs and hunting for some dollar store trees and I'm now waiting for some glue to dry, then I'll be ready to put the little people on and finish wiring up the lights

Bealman

Looking great!  :thumbsup:

Much better than that corny Elton John and Ed Sheeran Christmas song video!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

crewearpley40

Tank

AlexanderJesse

Quote from: LASteve on December 12, 2021, 06:28:39 AM
That looks great! I need to plan ahead for next year inspired by your progress ...
Well the best time to build a winter layout is in the heat of summer. Modelling snow help to get fresh ideas...
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

grumbeast

Quote from: Bealman on December 17, 2021, 04:53:23 AM
Looking great!  :thumbsup:

Much better than that corny Elton John and Ed Sheeran Christmas song video!
Gee Thanks for that!  I had no idea what you were talking about so had to look it up, I now have to scrub my brain.. I'm not sure I can unsee that video! :D

grumbeast

So HAPPY! 

Lights are done and Trains are running!!! I'm at the stage now of adding a few people, vehicles and details.

This is very much a learning layout and I have learned a lot about lighting (first time using LEDs and Fibre Optics (need to shield those LEDs better and I need a better way to diffuse the fibre optics)

Dave Frary's snow recipe is awesome and worked very well.

Anyhow I thought I'd share a couple of progress pics.  Once I've added a few more details I'll make a little movie with some loco's from a few different countries

grumbeast

I posted this elsewhere too but thought I should also add it here.. so here it is!  The finished (for now!) winter christmas market layout!

Hope ya'll like it.. I had a lot of fun with the snow and have also now learned how to use LEDs and fibre optic cables

So a great learning experience

Train Waiting

Great stuff, thank you!

Trains of many nations and an interesting language lesson as well.

One thought... do you think you could change the text at the end? That way, last year's message could be used for next year - if that makes any sense!

Great video.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Papyrus

Lovely layout, and great video, but shouldn't the final sign-off be 2022 and not 2020!?

(Shows I watched right to the end...)

Happy holidays,

Chris

PS. Just noticed @Train Waiting 's previous post...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations