2mm Association etched wagon underframes usable with N wheelsets?

Started by E Pinniger, March 08, 2014, 09:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E Pinniger

I've been considering joining the 2mm Scale Association as, though I've no intentions of going over to finescale wheel/track standards, I'm interested in their magazine/journal and their range of plastic wagon kits, etched accessories available to members.  I also noticed that they sell a range of etched brass rolling stock chassis/underframes (http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/shops.php?shop_num=2). As well as looking a whole lot better than Peco plastic chassis, they are no more expensive (ignoring the lack of wheels, since I use replacement metal wheels with Peco chassis anyway) and there are a whole range of prototypes and wheelbases available, as opposed to a handful of fairly generic types.

Though these are obviously designed for 2mm finescale wheelsets, would they be usable with standard N gauge ones with decent quality pinpoint axles (Bachmann, Parkside Dundas or similar), using turned brass bearings in the axle boxes? If not, would it be practical to adapt them by repositioning the solebars?

thebrighton

I'm affraid you can't use these etches with standard 'N' wheelsets from Bachmann etc as they require 12.25mm axles; most are a good 2mm longer. The good news though is that the 2mmSA offer 'N' wheelsets that fit the chassis as well as 12.25mm axles which you swap the Bachmann wheels on to. Only problem is is that at the mo IIRC they are out of stock awaiting manufacture of new ones.
Gareth

tutenkhamunsleeping

As well as the out-of-stock complete wheel set/axle assemblies, the 2mm Assoc also do part 2-047: Axles to convert Farish RP25 wheels to Association Standard pinpoints on 12.25mm axles - should do the job :)

Edit: meant to say the latter are shown as in stock :-[

E Pinniger

Thanks for the information. I think (assuming I join the Association) I'll order a few chassis and axle sets and see how I get on. I assume the 1mm pin point axles don't fit Farish/Bachmann RP25 wheels - a shame as they are about 1/6 the price of the axles sold for conversion!

I originally assumed it would be possible to adapt the chassis for N gauge wheelsets by fitting washers/spacers between the bearings and the axleboxes/W-irons, but now I realise that the 2mmSA axles are actually shorter than standard N gauge ones! Not being familiar with 2mm finescale standards I assumed the gauge was actually significantly wider than standard N, as with EM and P4 in 4mm scale.

thebrighton

The gauge is 0.42mm wider but the treads of the wheels is far smaller (can't recall exact difference off the top of my head).
Gareth

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations