2H Thumper

Started by Mr chapman, November 15, 2013, 01:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr chapman

What do you think of the possibly of a standard farish 2H is? Other items that were exclusives in 00 seem to have been shrunk as standard items in N. NRM deltic for example. Perhaps it would explain the lack of 2EPB in N. Also if either the 2EPB or 2H are shruk then you have half the other anyway. Thoughts?
DCC southern modeller

Karhedron

Like you, I have been hoping that Bachmann's other SR MUs would follow the 4-CEP through the Barwell shrink-ray. Unfortunately it has been a few years since the 4-CEP arrived in N gauge and there has been no movement. Given that the 4-CEP and Desiro now seem to be appearing in the bargain bins of the big box shifters, perhaps Bachmann feel that the N gauge EMU market is not big enough to be worthwhile.

This would be disappointing if it is true but I can see their point of view. If they are going to do a new model, they want to be able to sell several runs, not just one.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Karhedron on November 15, 2013, 11:29:42 AM

If they are going to do a new model, they want to be able to sell several runs, not just one.

Yes that's a good point, not as viable as say an A4!

nobby

Would liked to have seen the epb by now,as it would have been great to run along side the 4cep how many brought the art deco station scenecraft thinking this could be a great start , but seeing as even in 00 you cant get the 4 bep i would think than electrics will be on the back burner funny enough companys fall over themselves to make diesels. My bet is on 2H but i would prefer 3 car as more livery options so that means a 2 car  bachmann seem to be completely different against old farish in as much as farish flogged to death every livery they could from the tooling bachmann say it doesnt sell in xx livery so go and do somthing else.what a waste  desiro for instance  no penderlino so cant do Wcml  yet no swt livery  and say its a poor seller  4cep is a fantastic model yet i would have choosen the referb version or a  4Cig

H

Quote from: Karhedron on November 15, 2013, 11:29:42 AM
Like you, I have been hoping that Bachmann's other SR MUs would follow the 4-CEP through the Barwell shrink-ray. Unfortunately it has been a few years since the 4-CEP arrived in N gauge and there has been no movement. Given that the 4-CEP and Desiro now seem to be appearing in the bargain bins of the big box shifters, perhaps Bachmann feel that the N gauge EMU market is not big enough to be worthwhile.

The 2/3H is not an EMU (but a DEMU) so isn't hamstrung by the need for electrification (either conductor rail or OHLE). Additionally both the CEP and Desiro are four car units which make them relatively expensive compared to a single loco or 2-car DMU/DEMU (and you know what many N gauge enthusiasts are like with regards to prices). Additionally the CEP was a poor choice in being of a unit that went a mid life upgrade that significantly altered it making it limited in period and livery.

I think they would have been better starting with the 2EPB in N gauge for SR/BR units which, as mentioned, could then lead on to the thumpers.

H.

H

Quote from: nobby on November 15, 2013, 01:03:15 PM

4cep is a fantastic model yet i would have choosen the referb version or a  4Cig

Yep, I agree that a 4CIG would have been a more attractive and better option than the 4CEP.

H.

red_death

Given that Bachmann have done a thumper for Kernow then it might be a possibility, but it will depend on who owns the design work.

I wouldn't read too much into CEPs and Desiros appearing in bargain bins - the 4mm versions did as well. 

The 2mm CEP appeared a few years after the 4mm version so I wouldn't be surprised if the 2EPB was shrunk down eventually.

Cheers, Mike

Mr chapman

Im hoping the EPB will be on next years list. The 2H when announced was to be made by Dapol for kernow with an N version to follow. As we all know production was moved to Bachmann with the N version disappearing with the move. Given bachmanns record of shrinking exclusives to recoup some of the development costs I wondered if we might see a N version. I think its far more likely than a brand new unit like a CIG/VEP/BEP.
DCC southern modeller

Adam1701D

Quote from: H on November 15, 2013, 01:23:05 PM
Quote from: nobby on November 15, 2013, 01:03:15 PM

4cep is a fantastic model yet i would have choosen the referb version or a  4Cig

Yep, I agree that a 4CIG would have been a more attractive and better option than the 4CEP.

H.

Totally agree - the unrefurbished CEP is only really good up until the early 1980s, wheras a CIG could appear in ay livery from Green right through to SWT and Southern TOC. I do sometimes wonder about he choices the big manufacturers make when choosing what to model...
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations