Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe cassidy

Received a Euro 3300 tax rebate today  :beers:

Newportnobby

After what seemed like a long period of indifferent weather I finally managed to get a few more miles put on ma motorsickle this afternoon. By the time I'd donned boots, socks, jeans, polo shirt, leather jacket c/w armoured bits, full face crash helmet and biking gloves it was not exactly cool, even with helmet visor open but it was good fun :)
Apart from that it allowed me to dig my Workmate out of the garage so I can start ruining perfectly good plywood in an effort to make a couple of control panels :worried:

The Q

Just ordered covid test kits..

What's happy about that?

Its the first time in nearly two years I can go visit my parents in Scotland.

We'll test ourselves several times before the 400+ Mile journey to get there.

Papyrus

:bounce: :claphappy: :bounce: :claphappy: :bounce:

Last night, we went to our first live gig in 2 years!

We went to the Hammersmith Irish Centre to see one of our favourite bands, Flook, doing their first post-lockdown gig. Everybody was just raring to go - the venue was sold out, the audience was buzzing and the band were fired up. We know the band members quite well - two of them are tutors at the music summer school that Mrs Papyrus attends, so we catch them whenever they are within striking distance, but this was definitely one of the best gigs we have been to. We met some friends there and by the time we had chatted to everybody we were about the last to leave. It was a cracking evening - we eventually got home at 1am!

We shall be taking it easy today.  :sleep:

Cheers,

Chris

Bealman

That sounds great, but you weren't worried about you-know-what, then? I think I would be!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Papyrus

Not really, no. We thought we would be wearing masks throughout, but you just couldn't. The organisers kept everything as safe as possible and tested everyone's temperature as they went in. We've had our jabs of course but there comes a time when you just have to accept a bit of risk. Statistically, we were probably in more danger on the M25 driving up there, but you do that without thinking about it, don't you?

Cheers,

Chris

Bealman

Thanks. I tend to think that we'll end up adopting that attitude here, too - these lockdowns can't go on.

Anyway, it is the happy thread, so I'm glad you both had a great time.  :thumbsup:

It was Father's Day here in NSW, and while the lockdown prevented me getting together with Bealettes and GrandBeallettes, they did turn up at the door briefly this morning with a gift, and I was able to pop out to the car to see the little one and the new baba.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Got my hair cut the other day (this is not the thing I am happy about, there seems less and less of it) and after paying was handed a coupon which entitled me to a free side dish in the very same dining establishment in which I was planning to dine later that day, so we'll call that a win  :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

Hope it's not birds nest soup as there may be a direct supply line from your barber to the eatery :worried:

emjaybee

Quote from: railsquid on September 10, 2021, 01:38:44 PM
Got my hair cut the other day (this is not the thing I am happy about, there seems less and less of it) and after paying was handed a coupon which entitled me to a free side dish in the very same dining establishment in which I was planning to dine later that day, so we'll call that a win  :thumbsup:

Who's the barber?

Sweeney Todd?
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 10, 2021, 02:00:32 PM
Hope it's not birds nest soup as there may be a direct supply line from your barber to the eatery :worried:

Lets hope the dandruff flakes are not confused with the salt.  :goggleeyes:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

dannyboy

Blow my own trumpet time - today is the start of my second year of not smoking cigarettes. September 23rd 2020 was the day I last had a cigarette. I have to admit that I am now addicted to e-cigarettes, but from the reports and statistics etc., I have read, I think I am better off health wise. Certainly I do not cough like I used to and when I do cough, it is a different sort of cough. What is more pleasing though is the healthy state of my bank balance. What I have not spent on cigarettes these last twelve months has paid for the new kitchen, so Louisa is happy as well, although she keps complaining about me having 'my dummy' in my mouth! (No pleasing some folk  ;)). I smoked at least 20 cigarettes a day for 50+ years, so I am really pleased with myself. I still feel like I could light a cigarette up now though, but I just reach for the e-cig.  I realise it is not for everybody, but if any one is contemplating stopping smoking, give e-cigarettes a go - you can always go back to a real cigarette. (And I promise not to be a typical 'quitter', what people want to do with their life is up to them.  :)).

On top of that, I went to the Dentist this morning, expecting the Dentist to extract either what is left of my last molar or a couple of incisors. She decided not to bother at this stage, so just did a bit of work for my new plate. Trouble is, all the dentist has done is delayed the inevitable, but I am not complaining - yet!.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

I had my last ciggie the evening before my triple bypass and, like you, had smoked for 50 years or so. It's strange but every now and then after 5 years no smoking I could still murder for one and yet, at other times, the smell of someone else's smoke can be found awful.
There's no doubt it's a mug's habit and a vast amount of my N gauge has been funded from not smoking! :)
No e-cig used - what I went through in hospital was enough!!

guest311

I must admit I gave up smoking in 1970.
came back from Muharraq where I could buy 200 fags for 1 dinar [at that time 17/6p] and found that the thieving  :censored: here were charging the same for 20 fags  :veryangry:

luckily, I transferred my addiction to sweets, and didn't put on any weight, well I've always been a long lanky streak of  :hmmm: a person  :D
so since then only smoked passively [SWMBO continued to smoke].

did in later years discover whiskey  :beers:
which did put a dent in my finances, but brought a satisfied smile to my face.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations