Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadsword

My local had kangaroo steaks a while back ,also crocodile,
didn't taste the kangaroo but got a sample of croc.
Didn't taste anything like chicken funnily enough.

Snowwolflair

What you want if you ever get a chance is a bison steak.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: escafeld on April 18, 2017, 01:09:11 AM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on April 18, 2017, 12:39:25 AM
What you want if you ever get a chance is a bison steak.

But not if you're vegetarian  :no:

Funny, that's what the bison said as well.

Newportnobby

I always thought a bison was something Brummies wash their hands in :confused1:

grumbeast

Just felt like a positive rant,

Catching up on posts here and on other forums (yes I read others too!) just had a reminder of how much I just love this whole.. well hobby seems inadequate, anyone else feel the same way?  I love the railways /railroads of many different countries, happily appreciate n scale  / gauge models as well as other scales and just get such a kick out of diesel, electric and steam trains... Its all good.

My wonderful wife sent me on a railtour, the Cumbrian Coast Express earlier this year and I was remembering the way it felt, sounded and smelled having Leander haul us up over shap.. it was thrilling.. I was thinking in my youth I seem to remember being so caught up in specific loyalties (GWR only.. its of course the best) and upon travelling and aging (not growing up.. growing up is a huge mistake! :) realising that its ALL good.  There is so much to appreciate.

So unbidden I'd encourage those who still think one locomotive / country / railway is better than another so step back from themselves and try and see further.  We can get the same pure simple joy from a worn class 66 trudging through a wet station, to a pristine preserved steam locomotive at full throttle on the mainline.  From an everyday suburban train trip in London, to an old film of a NYC Hudson powering the 20th Century Ltd.  From watching a Japanese EMU running past cherry blossoms, to the end of steam in the heavy industry of the Ruhr or a South Wales Colliery..

Its all good.  its all very good and we're all lucky to have the opportunity to appreciate it as much as we are able.

Rant over... just feeling like despite the world and our often difficult personal circumstances, when it comes to Railways our glass can always be more than half full.

Bealman

What a wonderful post!

Thank you!   :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Jimbo

'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Newportnobby

Most unusual to see a rant in the Happy Thread :goggleeyes:

daveg

Quote from: newportnobby on April 18, 2017, 03:11:35 PM
Most unusual to see a rant in the Happy Thread :goggleeyes:

I'll take that as you're Moderately happy about that, then, Mick.  :D

Dave G

scotsoft

I had an appointment to have my hearing assessed today. The results were I have slight hearing loss at high frequencies the rest of my hearing is within acceptable parameters, therefore I do not require a hearing aid at this moment in time  :claphappy:

Cheers John.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: scotsoft on April 18, 2017, 06:41:19 PM
I had an appointment to have my hearing assessed today. The results were I have slight hearing loss at high frequencies the rest of my hearing is within acceptable parameters, therefore I do not require a hearing aid at this moment in time  :claphappy:

Cheers John.

Are you sure you heard her correctly  :D

dannyboy

I too have a problem hearing some frequencies. I had to go to the hospital for a test once a year for 5 years and was always told that there was just a slight deterioration and finally asked if I wanted a hearing aid. When I asked if a hearing aid would amplify all frequencies and therefore make some sounds loud, I was told that it would. I declined the offer and they have not called me back since!  ??? Glad things are okay for you John. (Do you have the problem where you turn the TV volume up and SWMBO turns it down  ??? ;D).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

scotsoft

I do have to turn the tv volume up a bit but fortunately there is no swmbo to turn it down  :claphappy:

austinbob

Quote from: Snowwolflair on April 18, 2017, 06:49:09 PM
Quote from: scotsoft on April 18, 2017, 06:41:19 PM

Cheers John.

Are you sure you heard her correctly  :D
Pardon??
:confused2:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Ian Bowden

Quote from: dannyboy on April 18, 2017, 06:51:09 PM
I too have a problem hearing some frequencies. I had to go to the hospital for a test once a year for 5 years and was always told that there was just a slight deterioration and finally asked if I wanted a hearing aid. When I asked if a hearing aid would amplify all frequencies and therefore make some sounds loud, I was told that it would. I declined the offer and they have not called me back since!  ??? Glad things are okay for you John. (Do you have the problem where you turn the TV volume up and SWMBO turns it down  ??? ;D).
modern digital hearing aids are tuned to amplify the frequencies you have a problem with. There is only a marginal amplification in other frequencies. The downside is in a crowd it can become a bit of a babble. The upside is telling people you don't want to talk to (pushy salesmen for example) that you battery has failed and keep deliberately misunderstanding them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations