Military Service Veterans Badge

Started by Fardap, March 14, 2019, 03:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fardap

For all the ex military (UK) guys on here I know there are a few, you can if you weren't aware apply for a free Veterans Badge from the MOD, for FREE, they don't give you much so grab it while you can  :)
It was rolled out over a number of years and is now available to anyone who has served, you just need to fill in an online form and a week or so later a package with badge, thank you and information arrives.
I remember my dad getting one when he was at the Arboretum Memorial as they were able to issue them there to ex-servicemen, I hadn't realised it had subsequently been rolled out to the rest of us.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-veterans-badge

guest311

had mine for many years, and worn it with pride.

many thanks for making this more widely known.

think we need a 'salute' smiley, even if it does have an army beret  :)

The Q

SWMBO and myself have had ours for years.
Sadly when I went to transfer mine onto my sailing waterproofs as I was on duty lowering the flags for remembrance Sunday.  The pin broke,  last year.  I'll have to find some way of fixing it..

guest311

wonder if you might be able to request a replacement ?

after all about 1 : 1,000,000,000 of the cost of the [promised] legal support for soldier F  :-\

Lawrence

I remember getting my Long Service & Good Conduct medal from the RAF. It arrived in a jiffy bag about 4 months after I left the RAF, no letter, no inscription, just the medal in a box, so impressed was I, it was chucked straight in the bin.
No offence meant but I don't need a badge to remind me that I served.

RailGooner

Quote from: The Q on March 14, 2019, 05:04:06 PM
SWMBO and myself have had ours for years.
Sadly when I went to transfer mine onto my sailing waterproofs as I was on duty lowering the flags for remembrance Sunday.  The pin broke,  last year.  I'll have to find some way of fixing it..

Follow Fardap's link in the OP. The application form provides the option to order a replacement badge. :beers:

TrevL

Thanks for the link @Fardap, I didn't know about that, its ready to post off as I type.  I remember with fondness my 23 years, and would probably "done the bundle" if I didn't have to walk on water to get my Chief, sadly I'm not even much of a swimmer.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

acko22

In addition to Badge if you have finished service within the past 5 years and going from them you also get a veterans ID card. Similar to the MOD 90 and entitles you to discount at any places that offer military discount.

I know this as I will be getting mine in October
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Lawrence

Quote from: acko22 on March 18, 2019, 12:35:42 AM
In addition to Badge if you have finished service within the past 5 years and going from them you also get a veterans ID card. Similar to the MOD 90 and entitles you to discount at any places that offer military discount.

I know this as I will be getting mine in October

Didn't get them when I left in '94 but I do now have a card from these guys https://www.defencediscountservice.co.uk/index.php cost a fiver for a few years but well worth it, I just saved £60 on a new fridge freezer for example.

acko22

Quote from: Lawrence on March 18, 2019, 08:45:46 PM
Didn't get them when I left in '94 but I do now have a card from these guys https://www.defencediscountservice.co.uk/index.php cost a fiver for a few years but well worth it, I just saved £60 on a new fridge freezer for example.

I know of that card, but I dont use it as it offers nothing beyond what discounts I get, but yeah in your shoes its great use and well for a fiver if it saves you £60 thats all good!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

RailGooner

Well the presentation/packaging of the badge knocks spots off the presentation of my medals.

I know I served. Now when I'm lecturing those oikish youths smoking ganja in the kids playground, they'll know it too!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations