The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldun

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 10, 2014, 10:50:11 PM
Quote from: Lawrence on March 10, 2014, 09:10:42 PM
Quote from: ParkeNd on March 10, 2014, 08:33:37 AM
Quote from: Lawrence on March 09, 2014, 09:11:20 PM
Am having a pleasant long weekend in Driffield visiting with in laws.  It took some persuading but convinced everyone, with the lure of fish & chips to go through to Scarborough today because, given the listing on Uk Model Shops, The Train Shop is open everyday except Wednesdays http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/shops/8-TheTrainShop
No it bloomin isn't, he doesn't open on Sundays either, something that isn't even mentioned on the opening times sign in the door, the one below the big CLOSED sign.
Complete waste of time, petrol and cost me a shed load at the chippie and din't even get a look round :veryangry: :veryangry:
Yes Arrow Toys was open but apart from one Z gauge Marklin set it was all 00   :censored:

Complete waste of time?  Had someone removed the sea and the beach as well?

Yes it was.  Please read the post, I didn't go for the sea and the beach, I can do that at home, I went specifically to visit the two model shops that were supposed to be open.  Most of the beach was now on the road anyway!  Following a 6 1/2 half hour drive South, then another hour in snarled up in traffic to get there I was not in the best humour, and stupid comments like yours don't really help!

I can now understand your anger Lawrence.

If you check the following you will see that The Train Shop at Scarborough is open Sundays - but only between 11.30 and 12.30. Bottom RH corner of screen.

http://www.yell.com/biz/the-train-shop-scarborough-7589298/

The times on your link do indeed state 11-30 to 12-30 but, in the original link:

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/shops/8-TheTrainShop

it does not say. It does however say its only closed on Wednesday and is open from 10-30
on all other days. There is also no mention of Sunday times on the Open hours card on the
door.
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

ParkeNd

Quote from: Oldun on March 10, 2014, 11:01:43 PM
Quote from: ParkeNd on March 10, 2014, 10:50:11 PM
Quote from: Lawrence on March 10, 2014, 09:10:42 PM
Quote from: ParkeNd on March 10, 2014, 08:33:37 AM
Quote from: Lawrence on March 09, 2014, 09:11:20 PM
Am having a pleasant long weekend in Driffield visiting with in laws.  It took some persuading but convinced everyone, with the lure of fish & chips to go through to Scarborough today because, given the listing on Uk Model Shops, The Train Shop is open everyday except Wednesdays http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/shops/8-TheTrainShop
No it bloomin isn't, he doesn't open on Sundays either, something that isn't even mentioned on the opening times sign in the door, the one below the big CLOSED sign.
Complete waste of time, petrol and cost me a shed load at the chippie and din't even get a look round :veryangry: :veryangry:
Yes Arrow Toys was open but apart from one Z gauge Marklin set it was all 00   :censored:

Complete waste of time?  Had someone removed the sea and the beach as well?

Yes it was.  Please read the post, I didn't go for the sea and the beach, I can do that at home, I went specifically to visit the two model shops that were supposed to be open.  Most of the beach was now on the road anyway!  Following a 6 1/2 half hour drive South, then another hour in snarled up in traffic to get there I was not in the best humour, and stupid comments like yours don't really help!

I can now understand your anger Lawrence.

If you check the following you will see that The Train Shop at Scarborough is open Sundays - but only between 11.30 and 12.30. Bhottom RH corner of screen.

http://www.yell.com/biz/the-train-shop-scarborough-7589298/

The times on your link do indeed state 11-30 to 12-30 but, in the original link:

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/shops/8-TheTrainShop

it does not say. It does however say its only closed on Wednesday and is open from 10-30
on all other days. There is also no mention of Sunday times on the Open hours card on the
door.

On the original link it also advises that if you are travelling a long way that you should phone ahead and check if the shop is open

A little more effort in view of the distance and time involved would have paid dividends. It took me under 2 minutes to find their Sunday opening hours.

Oldun

:admiration: Indeed it does, thank you.

Whilst on the subject of shops and their opening times. How does one go about the search engines
re 'model/railway shops and their location' that still list shops that have closed down and no longer
exist, and yes I have emailed/informed them where there is a link for this purpose, and yet months
later these shops are still listed ???
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Bealman

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 10, 2014, 05:08:38 PM
I have to have blood tests twice a year. You can at least have fun with the official terms.

I always announce to the receptionist that "I have come to be flebotomised by the flebotomist in the flebotomy department."

If anyone knows any more grammatical derivations of the word flebotomy then let me know and I will work it into my intro. Be quick though because my next appointment is this Wednesday.

As a person who suffers from the opposite of anemia -haemochromatosis - iron overload, I undergo a phlebotomy on a MONTHLY basis and I am afraid I find nothing amusing about the word. I find it an unpleasant procedure as the nurse uses the same vein all the time, and that vein is getting very tired.

Haemochromatosis is a serious condition, which left untreated, will kill. The only treatment is to dump a bag of blood (not a phial or two, but a bag) on a regular basis, so that the new blood that the body replaces it with has more normal iron levels.

I am not a blood donor. The blood is useless and is dumped straight into the medical waste bin. I have been doing this now for two years, but do not like talking about my own problems much - however, I have been prompted to by some entries on this thread.

The high end of normal for iron is around 150. I started off with a reading of 2300!!

The good news for me is that as of last wednesday, the time of my last blood dump, my ferritin count is down to 651, the lowest it has been. The doc says if I can get it down to about 300 or so, I can ease back on the dumps.

That's my goal - as I am totally over the whole thing, I can assure you.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Skyline2uk

Hey gents, this is not really the right thread as I am ABSOLUTELY not angry about what I do (sorry Mods,  :offtopicsign:), but seeing as its being discussed here I will chip in...

QuoteNot content with a sick pooch, I got the results of my blood test today. Very low platelet count (should be 140 minimum, but mine much lower), so another blood test to verify result, then, if confirmed low, see where we go from there. Overlapping with my oncology appointment, so GP may get hospital involved, just in case!

QuoteAs a person who suffers from the opposite of anemia -haemochromatosis - iron overload, I undergo a phlebotomy on a MONTHLY basis and I am afraid I find nothing amusing about the word. I find it an unpleasant procedure as the nurse uses the same vein all the time, and that vein is getting very tired.

Kipper, Bealman, very sorry to hear of your conditions.

I am what is known as a platelet donor. Every three weeks or so I go and get hooked up to a machine for 60 to 80 minutes and it sucks out (well, more scientific but it does something complex!) my spare platelets whilst I sit and watch a DVD or similar. 

I do wince when they put the needle in (can sympathise with you Bealman) as it needs to be quite big (three tubes connected) but the nurses are all extremely nice and I get much tea and biscuits. Besides I am happy to do it as its what I consider my charity effort, as I give two adult doses and the doctor who signed me up went to great pains to stress that platelets are vital for chemotherapy in young people.

If I could ask where my donation went, you fine gents would be welcome to some platelets  :)

Skyline2uk 

Geoff

Never had a problem with BT internet until now, we have been told there is a fault on the line but for them to come out and if they find the fault is inside the house then they can charge us £130 now that makes my blood curdle, they are so good at taking your money but when you ask for a little service they want to charge the earth, I could buy a decent loco with that money.  :veryangry:
Geoff

Malc

I had a problem with no service or phone. I measured across the line and there were no volts. I got the same message about a charge, but I told them if the fault was not on my premises, I wanted a refund. Sure enough, there was a problem with water ingress into the box on the pole outside. I got 2 weeks free. So it does seem to work both ways.  Make sure you disconnect any extensions to your phone before they come out, just in case.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

Skyline2uk:

I have a couple of ex-workmates who do the same thing, and most admirable it is, too. Good on ya, mate! I know it takes longer than a normal blood donation but is very highly valued by the medical profession.

I just wish that mine was of some use , but unfortunately into the bin it goes.

But thanks for the kind words!!  :thumbsup:

All the best,

George

Kipper

Yes, may I say a big thank you to Skyline2uk, and all others who donate blood, platelets, bone marrow and all the other things that other people rely on, to prolong their life.
Hope I will not need anything, and the results were a glitch, but will find out results of latest bloodtest later today or tomorrow (GP has a random Wednesday closure for training, so may be closed today pm!!!).

Bealman

Good luck, buddy.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

George

Sprintex

Quote from: Geoff on March 12, 2014, 10:22:40 AM
Never had a problem with BT internet until now, we have been told there is a fault on the line but for them to come out and if they find the fault is inside the house then they can charge us £130 now that makes my blood curdle, they are so good at taking your money but when you ask for a little service they want to charge the earth, I could buy a decent loco with that money.  :veryangry:

Don't blame BT, blame the idiot that decided privatising utilities was a good idea ;)

Standard practice I'm afraid, they are only responsible for faults up to the main socket, in much the same way that our privatised water companies are only liable up to your service pipe into the property - anything inside from there is your responsibility and if their 'agent' is called out on a false errand someone has to foot the bill. Stinks I know but that's business, not service, for you :thumbsdown: Also the newspapers at this point would make a big deal of "BT makes £x profit per second!" in an attempt to criminalise them but BT's profits come from international and other sectors, they are not allowed to cross-subsidise the residential side by law, and domestic phone lines rarely if ever make a profit at all ;) Sorry if I sound like an advert for BT here but I worked for them for 7 years and got fed up with getting stick for whatever sensationalist claptrap the papers were touting at the time ::) Best advice is as Malc said - disconnect any extensions and try more than one phone in the main socket if you have a spare one. Hope it's sorted soon :thumbsup:

On a different note - I'm booked in to give my 50th blood donation in about three weeks time! :)

Paul

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Sprintex on March 12, 2014, 01:18:11 PM
Don't blame BT, blame the idiot that decided privatising utilities was a good idea ;)

Oh god no don't go back.. at least you don't have to wait a month for a phone to be installed any more.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Geoff

So I take it the white BT Openreach box and the BT home hub is my responsibility, so if one of them has broken then there goes £130.
Geoff

Sprintex

Presumably the white BT Openreach box is your main socket? If so then that and anything up to it is their responsibility and comes under the maintenance contract paid for by your line rental. As for the Home hub I would think that is actually covered under your broadband supply since they supplied it in the first place ;) It's internal extension sockets, telephones, etc that are not covered and likely to incur charges if they find the fault is caused by them - cheap telephones from places like Argos are good for this! ;)

Paul

Geoff

Quote from: Sprintex on March 12, 2014, 07:11:32 PM
Presumably the white BT Openreach box is your main socket? If so then that and anything up to it is their responsibility and comes under the maintenance contract paid for by your line rental. As for the Home hub I would think that is actually covered under your broadband supply since they supplied it in the first place ;) It's internal extension sockets, telephones, etc that are not covered and likely to incur charges if they find the fault is caused by them - cheap telephones from places like Argos are good for this! ;)

Paul

Well I have no extension sockets, it will be interesting to see what they find, they will be round before 1pm.
Geoff

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations