Quote from: davidjhope on March 31, 2013, 02:56:42 PM
:(
Toothache
:'(

Say no more

Oil of cloves can dampen down toothache - you can get it from the chemists
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Jerry Howlett

Oil of cloves.     Second that BIG TIME, I couldn't believe it when Mrs H suggested using this witches potion it does work or your (interweb) money back.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

cudders

Painting..Just started on my house and what a pain in the rear. Filling, sanding, masking, moving stuff around, painting, painting again and it still looks crap. Yet another coat needed. Paint get's everwhere despite covering well..or so you thougth..and then you have to clear up, clean tools etc ect...Nothing more that I hate.  :veryangry:

Next time I'll be paying someone to do it..

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Bikeracer

What's happened to proper paint?

All I could get last year for internal woodwork was "one coat" that didn't and none drip rubbish.
That one coat paint is ruddy awful,you finish painting,clean the brushes and then you can see where it hasn't covered very well.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

daveg

Quote from: cudders on March 31, 2013, 06:31:40 PM
Painting..Just started on my house and what a pain in the rear. Filling, sanding, masking, moving stuff around, painting, painting again and it still looks crap. Yet another coat needed. Paint get's everwhere despite covering well..or so you thougth..and then you have to clear up, clean tools etc ect...Nothing more that I hate.  :veryangry:

Next time I'll be paying someone to do it..

Cudders

I'm suffering the same with lots of house refurb stuff to do so zero time for the layout for what looks like an age, yet. Didn't even make it to Ally Pally.

I took delivery of a batch of wagons, kits and RTR yesterday and all I could do was look at them through the their packaging.  :(

Thanks for all the posts that are just about keeping me (almost) sane!

Dave G

davidjhope

MikeDunn

Put my shaver on clean/charge a little earlier - dead ... after checking the cable I saw why.  My youngest cat (a little out of kittenhood) has ate it !!!  One of the wires in thelead was totally severed, the other one wasn't a lot better  :veryangry:

As a replacement lead is £20 ( :veryangry2:) I decided I'd lose nothing on trying a repair; amazingly, both repaired wires seem OK now  :jawdropping:  But I still need to get a replacement  >:(

Farmer Giles

I sort of accidently became the current custodian of the deceased relatives medals which started me off collecting other medals, awards and orders.

On a recent trawl though ebay I found a trio of WWI medals awarded to a soldier with the same name as my mother's family. I did a bit of research and discovered (OK about 95% certain) he was a cousin of my grandfather. I won the auction (paid a bit over the odds, but that didn't matter for a set of family medals) but what thoroughly p1$$ed me off was not having to reimport the trio of British medals from the US, but being stung for import duty for my own distant cousin's WWI medals  :veryangry:

Farmer Giles

I do not like soldering  :scowl: I am not particularly good at it, failing sight and arthritic fingers don't help either. But one thing I do know is that a soldering iron has to get hot to melt the solder, unfortunately my soldering iron decided that it would go on strike, so I bought a new one.

The new duly arived in the post (why are they so much cheaper online than from the local DIY store?) I unwrapped it, unwound the flex from around the handle and plugged it in and waited until it got hot.

The flex, which had been wound round the handle was under torsion and acted like a weak spring, but strong enough to dislodge the iron from its cradle. I can categorically state it is unwise to try to catch a hot soldering iron as it flies off the benchand heads toward the floor  :dunce:

I am still unsure whether I was more surprised to catch it before it hit the floor, or that it was bloody hot and cooked two of my fingers. Needless to say it still managed to land on the floor.

I was also singulalry unimpressed with my wife telling me I was an idiot, something I already knew  :-[. She was concerned about my burnt fingers, but she just had to check that the kitchen floor was OK.

OwL

Thats UK Customs for you Farmer Giles, they take great delight in slapping tax on absolutely anything. They have to fund their Whitehall Masters Second homes some how........ ;D

And while im on the Angry Thread: POLITICIANS, you ALL make me :sick: :veryangry2:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

longbridge

You have my heartfelt sympathy Farmer Giles, I have been there and done that  :veryangry:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

trainsdownunder

Ebay.au (so this doesn't affect you UK guys) have just announced they are changing the structure and fees t make life easier.

NO making life MORE ^%£^O£ EXPENSIVE - less for the seller.

Okay an increase in commission from 7.9% to 10% I can live with, but to do away with the basic insert fee means everything with a start price of under $100 now is going to cost $1.50 to list. Fine they give you 40 free listings when you start, but here's the rub - once you achieve more than 100 sales and $3K in value you become a Power seller and all your listings then become chargeable. Destroys any chance of the smaller dealers getting anywhere. My friends with an Estore are now going to give it up as with most stuff they do being under $5 (scale detail stuff like wagon loads etc) the extra insert fees means a big erosion into their margins. This is on top of the Ebay store fee of $50.

Only took me a six week to achieve this as Model railway stuff is generally so expensive and I have a fair bit to sell. It does help that people seem happy to pay over the odds here, because they don't do their research. Last month I sold two sets of KATO Coalporters. The UP one sold for $165 and the BNSF for $150. Both used item s in good condition. I can buy new for less including shipping direct from the US.

Okay Rant over - time for a cool one.

OwL

They will probably do the same in the UK soon.....

Looks like they have are pricing themselves out of the market.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations